Saturday, January 31, 2009

The wait ....

ahhhh, yes ..... "the wait".

     Funny how you can be so busy getting things taken care of, consumed by all of the things that need to be done, that you think you will not be consumed by "the wait".  You think you're OK with it and that it's really not that big of a deal.

     I don't really believe that was a mask ..... I really think that I had no time to be bothered by the prospect of "the wait".  
But now there is nothing but ....... "the wait".  
And with each hour that passes, "the wait" looms larger and larger.
  
     It is now very much personified.  It's a being that sits next to me.  It follows me around the house, as if to make sure that I don't get distracted for even a moment.  He's very selfish of my attention.
     And he seems to have the supernatural ability to reach inside of my body.  He has very, very thin, cold, bony fingers and hands, yet even in their boniness they are very powerful.  I can feel them wrap around my heart and give it a squeeze.  Not too tightly, for that might defeat the purpose.  Too tight of a grip might be the end, and then what joy would be left for "the wait"?
No, not too tightly .... just tight enough to let me know that he's there.  
     And then he grips my stomach .... a little more tightly than my heart.  That grip seems to be constant now .... and gets a bit stronger throughout the day.
     
     And then ...... then he grips my mind.  Because in gripping that, he can control all kinds emotions and fears. He can squeeze them out of all of the nooks and crannies into which I've hidden them.   And with that grip, he can hold back Hope and even Dreams, whatever dreams are still there (which really, are very, very few).  And he can squeeze thoughts up to the surface that I try to hide.  Thoughts such as, "With everything that has gone on in my life during the past 13 plus months, I will be shocked if there is NO cancer."  And, "What will happen to my children?  Not just physically, but emotionally ... and even more importantly, spiritually?" Thoughts like that which I try so hard to keep hidden.

     In my "before" days, I would have rebuked someone for allowing "the wait" to have a hold on them.  After all, that's not at all "Christian", is it?  We must take charge of what we're feeling, we must rebuke the one behind "the wait", we must pull ourselves up by our bootstraps, fix our mind on something positive ..... and move forward ..... leaving "the wait" behind us in the cold shadows.

     But now, in my "after", I realize how naive that woman was.  How ignorantly "in control" she thought she was (most of the time).  How much compassion she really had to learn.  And I am ashamed of her.  I am ashamed and so sorry for anything she might have said, or not said, to someone in an "after".  Not that it was her fault, really.  She didn't know ..... she couldn't know, many of things while in a "before life".  She could try to imagine how horrific an "after life" would be, but her imagining could never come close to the reality.
     
    And that is why I try to tell people, over and over and over, I do not blame anyone in a "before" for the things they say, or don't say;  for the things they do ..... or don't do.  They cannot imagine.  And it's not their fault.
And I hope and pray, with every fiber of my being .... that they never have to know.

     And so we hang out together this week .... "the wait" and I.  I would be grateful for any distractions.  Lots and lots and lots of distractions.
Because, the hard-to-admit truth is ...... I am very afraid of "the wait" and of the power he has.  And of the damage that power will do when combined with my very heavy weariness.

 I think that's something the "before" me would have found very difficult to admit:

I.  Am.  Afraid.



14 comments:

Sheryl said...

Praying for you right now - just want you to know that.

Anonymous said...

this is EXACTLY why you need to continue to write for all of us...you've put powerful words to something most of us cannot understand. And we wait with you, at least in spirit and in prayer. may God bless you during the wait in a supernatural way.

Kelley said...

Hi,

You don't know me. I stumbled upon your blog and have been drawn in daily.

I'm a graphic designer in Portland. I'm a mom, a Stephen Minister, a women's ministry participant, a Beth Moore student and a woman that feels so much of the way you do.

You have touched my heart. And I'm sure that I'm not the only one out here in internetland that you have reached. Your humor, your faith, your struggles, your sadness, your happiness, and your fear are so well expressed and so real. Thank you for sharing them.

I wish I knew you. But I really wish that you knew how much I'm praying for you and I wish I could just sit there and be with you. I know what it's like to be in the company of "the wait". Your insights of the before and after person is profound.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know. I'm here. I'm praying. And you are really "special"!

Kelley

Mandy said...

I just recently found your blog. Praying for you as you wait.

Mary Lou said...

I echo what the others have said. I will be praying and I truly appreciate the way you shared how you feel etc. You have learned so much and are helping the rest of us who have not yet entered the after that you are in right now. You are right, waiting is one of the hardest things we are ever asked to do. The only thing that I can say that has helped me in any trial that I have gone thru to keep those "thoughts" going thru my head is to replace them with another thought. You can not think two thoughts at the same time. I do my best to capture those "thoughts" and replace them with focusing on Him and even scripture which really helps. I can remember one time, walking and worked on memorizing some scripture and that helped to push the fear away that was gripping me. Nothing I have faced compares at all to what you have gone thru and are going through and facing. I just know that this has helped me when I have faced trials that I was having to wait on the outcome. But, like I said nothing to compare with yours. I will not cease to pray for you. Sure hope you are feeling even better physically and less doped up. Blessings on your night and may He give you good sleep. Mary Lou

Unknown said...

oh sweetie, you are SO brave, you have no idea. The way you put words to your feelings, and to see the amount you have grown (not that I knew you much "before") and the amount of compassion you have for people in so many things, and the patience you show people while even helping people understand how to relate back to those going through what you're going through... I so wish I could say I KNOW it won't be cancer, it CANT be!! One day at a time, one breath at a time. Sending lots of love and prayers for peace of mind to settle in your heart and soul. xo

Carrie said...

I'm praying for you every day, Janine.

Also, thanks for the reminder that we shouldn't judge others because we can't know what they're going through.

Anonymous said...

Dear J,
I'm sorry that you have to wait. You have personified "the wait" very well. It's not easy to wait because there is no action you can take until you know. I of course am praying that after the wait the only action you have to take is to breathe a sigh of relief. Be as good to yourself as you can while you wait - don't underestimate the power of even the smallest distraction. Maybe something that could give you a sense of control for even a short while could bring a small measure of relief. All easy to say but so hard to do. Just wish I could help.
Love you,
A

Anonymous said...

Good evening my darling daughter. Once again I'm gratified at the people you are touching, who in turn are praying for you. Isn't it amazing? You are a truly gifted and wondrous woman. I am so proud. I love you.

kdawnmartin said...

I really have no words except...WOW! I love you. And I am praying with the oh so many others out there! You ARE an amazing writer!

purejoy said...

well said. i will be waiting with you. waiting and praying.

Anonymous said...

I am here in Wv waiting and praying for you also. And for me. My biopsy was done on Friday, my wait is not nearly as long as yours. I should know something by Tuesday or Wednesday. I don't understand how you can be at the best hospital in the US/world and still have to wait so long. I am sorry you are going thru this and please keep writing. Praying that God will make the next 3 weeks fly by.
Debbie in WV

Juliana said...

Hey you-
Please do me a favor---call the hospital-call your doctor. Be a pain in the butt. There is NO excuse for them making you wait this long. Waiting for a biopsy should never take this long...how awful. Waiting is the hardest part....

Listen, you are much stronger than you will ever understand. If on the rare chance it is cancer, you will fight it like a cancer vixon...cancer would have nothing on you. Look at your support group...and your friends and family.

But...whoever said what you don't know can't hurt you was a total moron. Waiting is very difficult and there is no reason in the world that they should keep you without answers for weeks. Be annoyingly demanding and make them hurry up on this!

Anonymous said...

Praying and praying through you wait. Bless you for sharing yourself with us. Molly in OH.