Tuesday, February 10, 2009

And in his place .....

..... Hope walked in.
Yep, I think around 10:30 or so last night I heard a wee knock on the door.  I opened it ..... just a crack ..... and there stood a little Hope.  Not full grown, but big enough to walk through the door, when I invited him in.
I have not seen Hope, in any shape or size, for almost 14 months.
I couldn't see him, and many times probably didn't even want to see him.
But there he was ..... finally.
And he seems to be settling in.  I hope so.  I'd like him to stay.

I cannot believe the outpouring of joy and relief and encouragement from all of you within the past 24 hours.  It has been amazing.
I think all of your joy caused Hope to grow a bit today.  He looks a little bigger.
So ..... thank you.  
Very, very much.

Yesterday I made a decision to go get a massage (thank you, L).  I realized, after a bit of urging, that my body is really starving for physical touch ..... not sexual, really, just touch.
And so I went.  
And it helped.
And now I plan on going once a week.  A treat for myself, my sanity, my starving body.

So I am relieved.  And hopeful.  And feeling so much better.
I'd love to tell you all that I slept really well last night, but that wouldn't be true.  
I did manage to fall asleep before midnight (yay!!) but woke up around 2:30 and didn't sleep much after that.  
But it's a totally different kind of not-sleeping, and I can deal with that.  I don't think it will last.

I know that I still have a long road ahead of me .... this grief thing is not quick, or neat, or anything else consistent.  But now I can focus on getting through the grief, instead of grieving and stressing and going through hell all at once.

In an interesting side-note on my grief ...... today I received a phone call so incredibly horrible that it's really more unbelievable than horrible.
I was not home all day (went to see "Slum Dog Millionaire" after work, which was amazing!!) so when I came home I checked my messages.

I had two, one from Daughter #1 and one from a woman who is going to return to work tomorrow and most likely feel like a complete idiot, at the very, very least.
She works for the same firm that Jim worked for.  I will not name it here, but it is a very large, very well-known accounting firm.  
Here was the message she left:
"Hi, this is ________ calling from ______.  This message is for James.  We need to update some of your tax information as a partner with the firm.  Please call me back at _________, or e-mail me at __________ as soon as you can.  Thank you, and have a good day."

....................................... yes, really.

I stared at my phone for a good 30 seconds or so, while the bile and rage rose up from my stomach to the back of my throat.
Now, I must tell you that I get mail all of the time for Jim.  The mail that ticks me off the most is the stuff from our local schools for him, because he WAS on the school board.
It happens at least once a week.  Last week I wrote DECEASED on the envelope and sent it back to the high school which sent it ..... asking for a donation from him for Project Graduation.

But this ....... this takes the cake.
And left me stunned.
And so, I listened to it two more times, just to make sure she said "James" and to write down her phone number.
She had already left for the day, as I'm assuming she's on the east coast.
My message for her went pretty much like this:
"Hi ____________.  This is txmomx6 (and I spelled the last name to make sure she'd fully get it right) and I'm returning your phone message that you left for my husband Jim, also known as James, who was a partner at ___________.  I'm not sure where the communication break down is in this firm but he DIED OVER A YEAR AGO!!!  I cannot believe that this phone call was made to my house.  I realize that you are not the person to blame, but I am still stunned.  I would REALLY appreciate it if you could tell whoever you work for that evidently there's a HUGE problem in communication at __________, and if  you'd please pass on the information that Jim died on December the 18th, 2007 so that this never, EVER happens again -- to me or anyone else, I'd appreciate it.  Again, I'm sorry that you had the misfortune to carry out this task.
Thank you."

I think I handled it pretty well, all things considered.
There is no excuse for that.  None at all.  
He was more than a partner.  He was the head of the Energy Division for this firm, at least in one large section of the country.

I wish I could tell you that this was just a fluke, and things like this never happen.  But the more women I meet in this Circle, the more stories I hear.  
I am finding out that there are all kinds of situations for which ..... there-are-no-words.

Thankfully, for me ..... and especially for the woman who left the message, "the wait" had left and "Hope" has come. 
 
Or my voice mail back to her would have been an all-together different kind of message.

Have a good evening.
Son #3, Hope and I are going to relax and spend some time together.
It will be a good night.




17 comments:

M2K2USA said...

Geez!! All I can say about the phone message is...."Job Opening!"

lovey said...

It's pretty bad that people don't bother to find out what the story behind the phone number they are calling, and treat everyone as a person, not a number or a piece of a database.

My mom continued for years to get calls and letters to my father. The Department of Motor Vehicles, sent my father a renewal of his driver license 3 years after his death, because of his "excellent driving record over the past 4 years"...????

Unfortunately, once in a database, it takes mountains to remove someone it seems. We should develop more easier ways. It just adds to grief.

Take care of yourself. Enjoy those massages. Delurking myself,
Laurie

Janine said...

Laurie,
Thanks for de-lurking!
And really?!! They renewed his license?!!!! wow.

Anonymous said...

You don't know me, I have never been through what you have been going through, but I have been praying for you. I am happy to hear that you are finding a tiny bit of hope now. Just know that I am praying for you, for as long as you need it.

Tressa

Janine said...

Thank you Tressa,
I am constantly amazed by the wonderful people like you, who take the time to pray for a complete stranger. I am honored and so very blessed.
And feel even more blessed that you will keep praying.

kikibibi said...

Oh J I'm so glad you got a massage and will continue it. The healing of touch is so important. I wish I could help you more! You handled the work thing so well. Peace, kk

Anonymous said...

Good evening my darling daughter. Man! What can you say to that?!? I'm dumbfounded. She surely resides in the twilight zone.

I love you soooo much. And I'm so glad that hope is moving in. You deserve his company.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry you had to deal with that phone call. I'm so glad you had a massage! Yeah for HOPE!
Praying for you always,
Lori

Anonymous said...

Dear J,
I'm so happy you got good news yesterday! Take care of your new little buddy - he's a keeper.
Love you,
AEW

Linds said...

The best one was when the Air Ambulance Charity G supported for decades, which was the recipient of the collection/donations in memory of him, sent him a letter 6 months later to ask him to reconsider the cancellation of his monthly donation. I was less than happy and called them straight away.

kdawnmartin said...

Wow! I think the firm needs to do a bit of updating! Kinda crazy. You should be reciving a appology note in the mail soon I would think. Don't you?

I'm so very happy Hope came to visit. Hopefully (pun) he will stay and find permenent residence at your house. You deserve it! Love you tons sis!

Anonymous said...

Yea HOPE! I "hope" he plans to stick around for a while. I think the massage idea is a great one - and you deserve that weekly treat!

My sisters (who are handling most of my parent's financial matters) are still trying to transfer some accounts at the Pennsylvania bank where they had their accounts for many years. Now, this one wants my mom to come IN PERSON to PITTSBURGH to sign off on the transfer(s). We're talking about 80 year old woman, who hasn't flown since the 70's, and can barely make it to the Dr.'s or grocery store for about 20 minutes at a time b/f her bones/joints, etc. get the best of her. Anyway - Dad died in March of 2007, and things still aren't wrapped up. I pray it won't take you so long. Sorry you had to deal with it, but I'm glad Hope was there.
Leia

Leece said...

Sleep well, breathe easier and have a hug xxx

Carrie said...

I'm so glad you have a new 'visitor'. :) I have been & will continue to pray for you & for your kids!

Also, the phone call- that is crazy. Sounds like your message was pretty civil, all things considered. :)

Carrie said...

I'm so glad you have a new 'visitor'. :) I have been & will continue to pray for you & for your kids!

Also, the phone call- that is crazy. Sounds like your message was pretty civil, all things considered. :)

Anonymous said...

My dad passed away in Sept. On a monthly basis his employer would give the employees money as part of a safety award program. My mom received this for two months after he died. CRAZY! We also received notice for him to renew his license a month later on what would have been his 59th birthday. However, I think that the most shocking thing we received was when the funeral home gave us copies of the paperwork, there was a 5 year warranty on the casket....now how will we know if something is wrong with the casket????? The funeral home should just file that paperwork some with the rest of the stuff.
GEEZ!
Lindsey T.

Anonymous said...

I realize it is NOT funny the telephone call you received . . . but my Dad to gets those all the time including mailings . . . One of then had to take the cake regarding my mother . . . it went something like this Hurry before it is to late to take advantage of some offer . . . my Dad was too precious he replied back . . . sorry you are a little too late . . . she died.