This is something that occurred to me today and something that's aimed at widows and at helping you to understand them just a bit better.
As we all know .... I was up until 4-stinking-o'clock ..... in spite of taking an Ambien 10 at 10:30 p.m. Go figure.
And so when I got up around 8:00 this morning, I was till tired. And I remained tired.
I finally decided to attempt to take a nap around 10:30 or so this morning.
And soon remembered why I have not tried this in almost 14 months.
I cannot go and lay in my bed and hope for sleep to come soon.
Nope.
Not possible.
Doesn't happen.
Hasn't happened.
Instead, here's what happened: I crashed on the bed, got in my most comfy position, and waited.
But instead of sleep ..... I had memories. And feelings. And thoughts. And dreams. And nightmares. And reality. And suspending reality.
And oh so much more.
For about 2 hours.
I really, truly felt as if I was losing my mind.
And as I lay there, trying to focus on my need for rest, and realized within 20 minutes or so that it was not going to happen, the emotions rose up and took control and the tears flooded forth.
And here's the place where I just might lose any of you who are NOT a widow .........
....... I really, really needed a nap. My body was craving one, but my mind would not contribute. And I lay there .... with sleep being far, far away ..... and just cried. And then I thought, "I wish I could call someone whom: #1. I know. Someone (male or female) who's bigger than I am and-- #2. would be perfectly OK with me calling him/her up and asking if he/she would be willing to climb into bed with me (totally and fully clothed!) and then ..... just hold me ..... so that I can fall asleep. Someone who would take the time to lay behind me and cradle me in their arms for about the 5 to 10 minutes it would take for me to drop off effortlessly."
But there was no one.
That's all. Not so much, really ...... but actually very, very huge.
My mind filed through several people .... but I couldn't come up with some one who would be physically up for the calling and emtionally OK with it.
Not.Many.At All.
And so I didn't sleep.
Not a wink.
And now feel so much worse.
And that, my friends, is what's constantly happening in the lives of the women in this Circle.
We are alone.
We feel lonely. Very, very lonely.
All we desire is for someone bigger than we are to hold on to us tightly while we fall asleep. Nothing sexual at all, for that is still far, far from our minds.
It's a matter of feeling secure .... for even a brief moment in time ...... and feeling protected.
Two things we have not felt since the hour our husband died. Two very important feelings.
Just so you know .....
9 comments:
Got it in one. When we stand up we are the warriors again. It is lying down that does it.
....sigh.....
JB
Janine, even though I am not a widow yet...I understand totally. Believe me do. When I have trouble falling asleep, if I just get a little closer to him, I fall asleep so much easier and when he is out of town I have a hard time sleeping thru the night and go to bed much much later than normal. So, I do understand. I think alot of people will. You are in my prayers daily. Blessings...Mary Lou
I am way bigger than you and I would do it in the drop of a hat. I know I am the same height as you so it may not work but I am bigger! I hate that you feel like you do sis. My faith at this point in time is kinda wavering and that stinks. I can only imagin what yours is doing. But...and I know this is no concelation...I love you. I wish I was there just to hold and hug you. Hang in there J. I know it sucks and you are tired and oh so weary. It has to get better. It has to! Hugs and kisses from IL.
It is good for me to read your entries...my dad died suddenly a few years ago and I have a hard time understanding my mom. (We have very different personalities, different grieving processes; she has sins of depression but doesn't think she does at all).
I'm trying much harder to be more empathetic; your writing is helping because the way you share experience is so real and true. Thanks.
So sorry you are having such a rough weekend; I pray Monday morning the wait will be over and you will have great news.
Good stuff! Great insight and understanding, that is something I wouldn't have ever thought of. Do you think taking an ad out in your local paper is out?........Wanted fully clothed, good looking, muscular, sweet smelling, man to hold me and sleep, must not snore. Hours available to work nightly,... midnight to 8 a.m. (just wanted to make you smile) Love you and praying that HIS arms will hold you and HIS presence would overwhelm you! Love you,
Julie
I understand only now that I have that in my life (for the very first time). While I know it is terrible for you now, I am so happy you did have it for so long. I realize now how powerful it is....
It’s not bad enough that reading your blog from time to time makes me feel voyeuristic, but now I feel compelled to make a comment.
FWIW I have found napping almost anywhere than my bed to be the easiest. My favorite is the recliner (in full reclining mode) in the living room with the TV or stereo on.
As for hugs, CTK males at least should all be lining up to provide whatever comfort we can. The public kind is easy. I also understand the need for the under-the-covers kind and I know you are serious and I for one would volunteer, but………
To anonymous:
I'm not looking for "the under-the-covers kind", or anything that might imply.
I would just like to fall asleep.
Post a Comment