Monday, February 2, 2009

The Silence is Deafening .....

...... and very, very difficult to live with.  In fact, the silence (in addition to my cats) makes me feel like I'm going insane.

     A little background:

     Once upon a time there was a young man and a young woman who met, fell in love, got married, and pretty promptly ..... got pregnant (OK, it was a year and a half, which is actually pretty promptly).
Though they were a bit surprised at the promptness, they were ready (ha!) and very, very excited.

     On November 27th, 1984 they fell in love again ..... with a tiny little girl.  
As this tiny little girl grew, she became less tiny ..... and more vocal.  She learned to talk a bit, but not too much, early.  And she loved to talk.  
Her parents never spoke "baby-talk" to her and so she learned to hold a decent conversation with most people .... and animals.

     When this little girl was 2 1/2 her loving parents fell in love yet again ..... this time with two tiny little girls.  These little girls fell in step with their older sister ..... and talked.  All three talked.  And talked.  And talked some more.

     Three years later the loving parents fell in love again .... but this time it was with a tiny little boy.  The parents wondered if there would be a difference in the amount of talking that would emit from this new and different creature.
It did not take them long to realize that the answer was, "no".  This little boy loved to talk even more than his sisters.  He would talk to anyone and anything.  He could hold a very interesting conversation with a wall.

     Two years later the loving parents were joyously surprised at the arrival of another little boy and instantly fell in love with him.
This little boy decided that screaming would be his mode of conversation for a while.  And then he learned that talking was a whole lot easier .... on everyone.  And so he joined into the constant conversations in his loving, and not-so-quiet, home.

     Two years later ....... another love entered into this home ..... a third little boy.
This little boy did not desire to talk .... for quite a while.  In fact, he remained so silent that his concerned pediatrician ordered hearing tests to be done while he was sedated and his brain waves could be monitored.
If she had just held out a bit longer ..... she would have known that this little boy could, indeed, talk (and she still kicks herself for that to this day!).  He just didn't need to.  Everyone seemed to do the talking for him .... and all he really had to do was point at something and his wish was granted.  
One day, he decided that it was time to voice his opinion. And he spoke .... an entire sentence. After the shock wore off of the rest of the family they soon grew accustomed to this delightful child's constant conversations.

     And so these lovely and talkative children continued to grow and talk.  And talk.  And talk.  
In the house.  In the car.  In the store.  In the bathroom.  Through a bathroom door.  Under a restroom stall.  In school.  In church.  Not always when they should, but always.

     The loving mother and father enjoyed the conversations of their children .... mostly, but there were days when the mother would stay in the shower a wee bit longer to enjoy the silence.

     This home was always full of talking.  Not too much really.  Not as much as most people would expect.  In fact, many people over the years commented on how surprisingly quiet this home was, considering that it held 8 people.  But it was just the right amount of talking for this family.

     Soon it was time for the oldest child (who talked a whole let less by now ... at least, at home) to go off to college.
But there was still quite a bit of talking.

     Two years later the next 2 daughters went off to college.  There was quite a drop in the amount of talking after that, but there was still a goodly amount.

     Two years after that the first daughter returned home for a year to work in an internship before going off to grad school.  And so there was a bit more talking.

     And then, one day ..... one horrible day ....... the loving father of this family left rather suddenly, never to return again.  (But don't worry ..... he may have left (not by choice) but his loving family knows exactly where he is and that they will be with him again one day.)
     On that day ..... that horrible day .....  the home became very, very quiet.  
It remained that way for some time, but the family slowly started talking again.  And then more.  And then more.

     And then ..... in one month's time, it was time for the oldest daughter to head off to grad school .... and time for the oldest son to head off to college .... and for the middle son to head off to a new school (ummm, also not by choice, but there ya go).

     And suddenly ..... the house was very, very quiet .... again.  

     In less than a year this home had gone from containing 6 talking people, to containing 2.  
The loving mother found that 2 people don't talk nearly as much as 6.  

     The youngest son continues to grow and become involved with school and church activities, as well as hang out with his friends, and .... much to the mother's chagrin, plays mindless video games with complete strangers.

     And now ...... this silence ..... something the young mother once longed for once in a while and cherished when she had it ........ feels the silence slowly closing in on her.
It seems to be growing .... like a living thing.  
And as it grows, it seems to be taking up more and more space ..... and more and more of the oxygen in the home.
It feels as if the mother is suffocating in the silence.
She sometimes .... actually most times ....  feels that the silence is driving her mad.

And, though it may sound strange ...... she finds the silence deafening.  

22 comments:

Unknown said...

This made me cry. :( It sounds like you are very lonely. I'm sorry, it sucks!!! You really have a way with words, you are a very talented writer, and I mean that. You have a gift! I hope that one day in a few years your home may be filled again ... this time with grandkids! :) Well it's a thought anyway...

Anonymous said...

yeah, i'm dreading that.

growing up with six siblings, the silence was deafening when i first got married and steve wasn't home. now i'm about to face that again but without steve at all. and i'm dreading the silence and the constantly-empty house to go home to.

and i'm sending you hugs from oz!

Linds said...

Yes, this silence and I are well acquainted. Once longed for at times and now strangely alien. And I have decided to fill it sometimes, with the music I love. Or I listen to the radio. It is not the same, but I sincerely hope I am a long way from the way my mother in law used to have conversations with the news reader on TV.

There is, however a disctint difference between silence and stillness. I think the stillness is what I really used to long for. Not necessarily the silence. Those silent moments where I am totally relaxed.

I am not going to say it will go away. It won't and there will always be times when the whole family is around and the noise levels rise. I have just learned not to run from the silence any more. You will get there Janine, and please remember that the prayers for you do not stop.

m said...

hi mama e,
i don't even know what to say to this. i would bring a whole cheerleading squad to your house to follow you around all day if i could (well, not really. that'd get real old real quick). but you know what i mean. call me if you want your ear talked off. i promise i will.

i know it's not ask me wednesday, but i'm getting mine in early. what would you say you do about anxiety? i mean, i can read the "do not worry" verse 234289 times, but it doesn't make it better. maybe i just think too much. pour your wisdom on me. i know you have lots.

yes it's 5am. i'm not sleeping for you! joint effort.

wondle said...

Thank you for this post. Yesterday I too stayed in the shower for a little extra time in hopes of avoiding the ramblings of my 7 year old daughter for a few minutes. Wrong or right, I don't know...but what I do know is this. I HAD TO. And now, I'm going to squeeze my baby [I know she's 7 but she's still my baby]and tell her how she is my favorite daughter in the whole wide world! Thank you again for all you do and putting things in perspective!!
Tara

Janine said...

Tara,
It was not wrong ... not even remotely. It was what you needed and I'm glad you did it. Moms NEED a bit of silence and a break once in a while or they can't be good moms. I firmly believe they should get them. And appreciate them.
Appreciate all of it .... as much as you can. It does fly by all too quickly.
:)

Janine said...

Linds,
I like what you said about the difference between silence and stillness. There is indeed a difference.
The stillness doesn't suffocate.
And you're right .... the TV, the radio .... any noise I try to use to "quiet the silence" only seems to make it bigger.

Teresa said...

I am starting that phase and have my 2 oldest gone and you would think that having 3 still at home, the noise would not be missed....oh but I do miss it. To the point of crying and wishing that I would have never wanted them to be quiet. I just keep hoping it gets easier, but I am doubtful at this point. I am wishing you a very noisy day. :)

Anonymous said...

my heart is breaking for you again.

my firstborn is a TALKER...just to hear himself, I think, or because he doesn't like to be alone. my second child, therefore, rarely gets a chance to speak, to answer questions, to tell me what she is thinking (except when i put her to bed at night, and then i think it may be a stalling technique) because as soon as she starts, the older finishes her sentences. but when the firstborn is home, i wonder, "will there ever be quiet again?" now i know, but i'm not sure i'm looking forward to it as much.

Unknown said...

I love you! That's it just wanted to tell you I love you! I love your posts, I love your thoughts, I love that you post often, I love your honesty, I even love that it makes me at a loss for words sometimes, I love that we're friends, I love your passion, I love being able to be in touch again!!! Of course I would gladly give it all up if I could and go back to your "before" so there was no "after". Still praying for you and grateful for how you are letting God use your life!
Love you,
Julie

Unknown said...

This is for the ask me Wednesday and I'm not sure if you can answer but I know you have given me such wisdom into grief. I have a precious friend whose 16 year old daughter went to be with Jesus February 11, 2008 in an accident. On that day in 2009 is there anything that can be done or said for her and her family that will help? Thanks, and if you can't answer that's o.k.
Love,
Julie

purejoy said...

i am a mom of two. not six. but as my last is leaving for college, my house is much quieter than usual. (because my kids are never here alone. the posse is usually 6-8 strong)
i feel your quiet.
i hear your heart.
waiting. . .

Mary Lou said...

What a well written post. You express yourself so well. You do it so well, that I get somewhat mental pictures in my head of what you describe. I fully understand how the silence is deafening. I have an aunt who would listen to the radio to go to sleep after her husband passed, they were much older than you are and no one was at home. How did the meeting go last night? I did remember to pray for you a little after seven...actually He reminded me. Anyway, continuing to pray for you. Blessings on your day. Another question..are you going to hear Beth Moore tonight..? She is wordy like me..I love her and her passion for the Lord and for women. Hope today is better than yesterday and tomorrow better than today...waiting with you.

Janine said...

Mary Lou,
The meeting went very well, thanks so much for praying.
And yes, I'm off to see/hear Beth tonight!! I missed her last week because of the non-biopsy appointment (which made that even worse!), so I am really looking forward to being back tonight!

kikibibi said...

TXMom: Maybe this brief story about deafening silence will give you a small chuckle... when my mom suddenly lived alone, all of us rushed to find her every modern convenience that we thought would "help." One sis got a fancy CD-player/alarm clock, and another got a CD of the Pope saying the Rosary. Mom thought it'd be cool to say the Rosary with the Pope, but could never figure out how to work the CD player, and didn't want to bother anyone to come help with it. In fact, that was a big concern of Mom’s – she wanted to prove that she was independent and could handle things… didn’t need us rushing over there all the time.
One night, Mom woke up about 1am to the sound a man talking in her apartment. She was scared stiff! She laid silently in bed and prayed for her safety. Eventually, the man went away, and she laid wide eyed until morning. Obviously very frightened, but she didn't say anything to her kids, because she didn't want to bother us.
The next night, he came back! Mom again laid terrified in her bed, the man eventually left, and she didn't catch a wink of sleep! She was starting to wonder if it was real or imagined. STILL did not mention her fear to us.
The third night, of course, he returned again. This went on for several nights.
Now Mom was starting to think maybe all the drugs she was taking were causing strange dreams, hallucinations, etc. but she really needed some rest, so she finally asked my sis for some help. It was decided sis would sleep over on the couch, to give mom a sense of security, and also deal with "the man" who was letting himself into the apartment. 1am rolls around, and my sister was pleasantly awakened, and got down on her knees to pray... with the Pope... who was on the CD/alarm clock... set to go off everyday at 1 "pm."
Peace friend, kk

Janine said...

Thanks, KK .... that was hilarious!

Anonymous said...

When I left home the last of 5 after having children in their home for 33 years that he "missed the footsteps in the upstairs bedrooms." It is interesting the different things we miss when our loved ones are gone. Silence is not golden if it is not surrounded with the possibility of loving noise. May you hear the still small whisper of God's voice in your day. Love, mary jo

Heather said...

What a beautifully-written post. Thank you for sharing. My three stepsons talk all the time and make tons of other kinds of noise, all hours of the day and night. I often wish for quiet. But then when they are off visiting their mom, it's too quiet! Thanks for reminding me to enjoy the "noise."

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing. I think that I've asked my kids to "SSSHHHH!!!" a hundred times today and it's not even 2:00 yet. I know that's normal, or at least I hope it is, but it's good to be reminded of how precious the noise is.

Carrie said...

I will definitely be appreciating my little boy's babbling even more than usual tonight! :)

Anonymous said...

I hear you . . . and believe me that story about you was already in my head 12 months ago . . . nice to see it on paper . . . I'm happy to brain storm with you anytime about car problems . . . I hope your car with the dying battery is not your brand new car.

kdawnmartin said...

Mike and I joke of how we can't wait for the noise to be gone!!! I'm sure I will miss it when it is but I have a long time to go before it does. Mike on the other hand will NOT miss it. He's just that way. I love you sis and love reading your blog.