Sunday, February 1, 2009

Sleep seems to be overrated

(I started this post last night but finally went to bed around 2:00 a.m. without finishing it -- so here it is, after adding to it and finishing it today ...... with some very difficult words).


..... my body feels so very heavy and tired ...... and yet I cannot seem to fall asleep, since it's now well after midnight.
I went out tonight .... to our church's annual youth dinner theatre, which raises money for their summer trip.
Tonight it seemed that it took all of my strength to just raise a fork to my mouth to take a bite of dinner.  And so .... I did not eat much.  It took too much energy.
Dinner is always followed by skits performed by the teenagers.  It's always entertaining.  But tonight I had to leave before it was over.  I guess I missed the last 3rd of the program .... the first part I've missed in several years ..... if I've even missed any, which .... come to think of it, I haven't.  I could feel the small amount of energy that I had draining out of my body very rapidly.  But at least no one noticed (?) that I left early since it was dark in the sanctuary.
I am hoping that this is just the lasting effects of the drugs.  Well, the drugs combined with the massive amount of stress and anxiety I've had for a couple of weeks (or a year?).  
I. Am.  Exhausted.  
I've never had mono or anything else that seems to zap your energy level a great deal (other than a newborn ..... or better yet ..... two newborns!) .... so this is difficult for me.  
Hopefully it will continue to improve.

Thank you for your prayers as I wait.  I do not like "the wait" but I cannot avoid it.  So.... I wait.



     And now it is Sunday.  Today I feel better, though I can still feel some of the effects.  I cannot, for the life of me, figure out why they don't tell patients who get large amounts of such drugs, "DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, MAKE ANY HUGE DECISIONS FOR AT LEAST A WEEK!!!".
Maybe they do?  In the case of surgeries?  But I got nuthin'.
Just the usual "don't drive today, don't lift anything today, don't have any fun today" blurbs.  But no indication that I'd be feeling like crap for more than a day.
Oh well.

I just finished my first "Shack" discussion post.  We'll see how that goes.

     I was blessed today at church.  In many ways actually, but in one huge way that will stand out in my mind for a long time.
I almost didn't go this morning .... still feeling groggy and not really wanting to socialize, but I went.  God must've been nudging extra hard.
     Anyway, the service had just started and we were standing and singing.  I was feeling tired, lonely without Jim, and a little sad ....... when suddenly I sensed someone standing next to me and I turned to see one of my lovely Circle friends standing there with her two daughters, coming to visit our church and to sit with me.  I thought I was going to cry.  I hugged her hard and said a quiet "thank you" to God, because He knew that her face was exactly what I needed to see at that very moment.

     I was blessed several more times ..... by the wonderful message that my amazing friend gave, by people coming up to me to give me a hug, by a few people coming up to me and saying, "Please keep blogging.  Please.", and by a woman who I had never met before ..... who has been in this Circle for 4 years and has gone through her own medical issues since then.  She heard about mine and she knew what I am going through, so she came up to talk to me.  And to encourage me.

I. Was. Am. Blessed.

     And so I thank all of you who take the time to read this blog.  I thank you for caring about me.  I thank you for praying for me.
(And here comes the difficult part because I don't want anyone to feel anything negative from my words.  They are not intended to do anything but give me release and share what I have to share.)
I thank you for caring about me enough to really want to get to know me by reading it.  There are many complete strangers out there who know me much better than many of the people who think they do.  
I have friends who don't read the blog, who can't read the blog.  There are various reasons .... not enough time, it's too painful, the belief that I should be telling my friends what I feel instead of writing it ....... I'm sure there are many more.  And I'm mostly OK with that.  
I know that I am not the center of the universe and that people have busy lives and their own "stuff" going on.  And truly, I'm good with that.
I know that sometimes my blog makes my friends ache for me.  And I'm sorry for that.
I know that there are people out there who desire for me to be as open with them, verbally, as I am here.
And I wish that I could.  But as I've written (and said) before ..... I was never that kind of person. Never.  

     And so to be asked to verbally share what I cannot, feels like I'm drowning; & like I'm being asked to jump off of a roof and fly when I know that I can't.
     To be asked how I'm feeling by someone who won't read my feelings makes me feel like my answer should be "fine".
     But mostly .....  I feel like I'm not being heard.  And .... that someone is not really, really .... wanting to hear ..... and thus, know ..... me.

     But I still write ...... and I guess that I write for three main reasons.
  
First, I write because I have to.  This is the only outlet I have for releasing what builds up inside of me.  It's taken me a while to recognize my writing for what it is .... it's what keeps me from going insane, it's what keeps me from doing something horrible to release what's inside me, and it keeps me alive.

Second, I write (and publish) so that I'm heard.  So that those of you who really do want to know what I'm feeling ..... really, .... can know.  So that, in knowing what I'm feeling, you will understand me a bit better.  And maybe, if you ever need someone on this path to listen to you, you'll come to me.

And the third reason that I write is ..... because of you.  Because of all of the encouragement, support, love, prayers, etc. that you give me. And because you keep telling me to write, so that you will not only understand me better, but you will understand others better.  We all, at one time or another, will one day be on some kind of "path".  And your encouragement for my writing honestly, of my raw emotions, of my bottomless amount of pain, of my good days, the hellish days, the blessings, the humor, the horrific tragedy ..... and the hope that this will get better ..... is what keeps me writing ..... publicly.  You asking me to keep writing so that you can learn from my life keeps me writing.  You telling me that I've made a difference in how you now see hurting people keeps me writing.  
You.  
And I wish that I could tell you how valued, how loved, how encouraged,  how supported and  how validated YOU make me feel for caring that much.

But ..... there are no words.

12 comments:

Wendie Tobin said...

Your blog has changed my life. Your "what not to say" list was my compass last week as we laid my cousin's fiance to rest. So you probably affected HER life too. Because I was able to say something different than the 3,000 other stupid things she had to hear that day.

It's hard to stare someone's heart in the face. And that is what a blog is. A lot of people in my real life don't read my site either. They want the shiny, clean and sanitized version of my status. I don't give it. It's all on my site if you want to know. Otherwise, don't ask.

Anonymous said...

I continue to be blessed by your writing. Thank you! I'm praying for you everyday.
Love & big hugs,
Lori

Anonymous said...

J, you were my 'someone' to pray for and lift up to God in all 3 services today in church.

Anonymous said...

I came across your blog the other day and my heart went out to you. I admire your strength, your honesty and your openness. I think so often people go through life pretending that they are fine, pretending that the horrible things that have happened to them were just a blip and that when we have God, well, we only have happiness. I know my own life has not been full of happiness, but I can say that I have hope and for now that is enough. Thank you for helping me to not feel so alone in my own sadness.

I pray that your test results are negative. God does heal...that I do believe!

Susan (Alberta, Canada)

Anonymous said...

The way you write is just incredible. I know it is what you must do to stay sane, but to many of us, your words describing your feelings are felt right through the screen. I love you and I wait with you.

Tri-Vet said...

You are a terrific writer. Your analogy of "the wait" was so real, I could see him and he made me afraid too. I am glad you have that outlet to let it all out. You were my person to pray for today too, but I pray for you everyday anyway.

Love,
melanie

Anonymous said...

My dearest sister...I would be so lost without your blog now. Through it, I have come to know you in a way that I never did before. I feel as if I know my nieces and nephews too. Most of all, I can't tell you how it has showed me that I love you so very, very much.
I wish I could just get on a plane and be there with you. I feel so far away.
I'm waiting WITH you. We all are.
You are such an amazing woman and I know why Jim loved you so much!
Keep blogging....and we'll keep praying.
You're the best sister I've ever had! ;)

Lis

beccam said...

Janine, reading and waiting with you. Praying all the time.

Rebecca

Mary Lou said...

I understand exactly why it is easier to write as you do and not be able to explain it to someone's face. I have your back on that one. You have blessed so many of us and have given such a depth of insight to pain and life that so many have gone through. Each road is different since He didn't make any two of us the same, yet there are always similarities that unite us together. You do have great value and you are blessed and you are a blessing. Praying for you as I wait with you. So, glad you were blessed at church. Fellowship at church is hard to beat. Praying that today is a good day for you.
A verse that I read yesterday that applies to waiting...Isaiah 40:29-31.

kdawnmartin said...

Waiting and Praying! I love you J!

purejoy said...

after reading lisanne's comment, tears welled up in my eyes, and i dont. even. know. you.
am i weird?
do i blogstalk people with real issues so my life feels better?
or does the Lord give me a heart for others so i can pray?
all i can say is i read your story with a tremendous amount of interest. maybe it's because i'm encouraged by a woman who has endured. who continues to breate. who presses on becuase the alternative is just. so. well, not productive. encouraged by a woman who continues to trust even when awful things have happened. who continues to show her children and anyone in her midst what it looks like to live by faith.
i'm new here. and i'm praying for you (really i am) and i'm waiting patiently for you when you feel impatient.
why am i here? i often wonder. and i am being honest when i tell you that i am struggling with trying not to feel guilty for being blessed at the moment.
yes. . . words fail. but the heart knows and my heart is empathetic.

Janine said...

Purejoy,
I believe that God has sent you here to pray .... and to encourage. There are so many times when I can't pray. And I know that I'm still being covered with prayer by people like you.
As for feeling guilty for being blessed, I can't tell you to stop feeling what you're feeling, but I hope that you can. I say .... continue to be aware of your blessings, never take them for granted and enjoy them as much as humanly possible for the time that you have them .... no matter what, or who, they are.
Thank you for being here for me and thank you for your prayers and your heart.