Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Ask Me Wednesday!!



     Hello, my peeps.  Yes, it's Wednesday again.  It is now 10:07 p.m. (pay no attention to the time stamp at the bottom of this post) and it is raining like crazy outside.  I just got home ..... for the first time all day.

     I went to work this morning and stayed until it was time to go pick up some food for Son #3 and take to his track meet.  He is pole vaulting again this year.  I love watching him.  And I find it a fascinating sport to watch.  
And ...... drum roll please ..... he came in 3rd!!  I was very proud of him.  I think he was pretty stunned at the height he managed to vault .... it's his personal best .... 8 feet, 6 inches.  Not bad.

     After his track meet I went out to dinner with my Circle.  I hadn't seen any of them in more than a week .... and it was a very good evening.  It usually seems to work out that one of us is really struggling .... more so than usual ..... the night we meet and so we are able to love on and support whomever it is that week.  No, it wasn't me this week, thankfully.  Had I been able to rise above the pain and depression last week .... it would've been me.  
It's always wonderful to notice the difference in how we all arrive .... and how we leave.  Yes, some wine is always consumed, but it has nothing to do with that.
We all come in weary after the day ..... after the week.  But we get happier and happier the longer we are together.  It's usually difficult to make the decision to end the evening.  
Tonight the woman who needed us the most was so very much better when we left ..... so much.
I love watching each of us heal just a little bit more every time we meet.

     In other news, Michele over at "Widow's Voice"
asked today if I would like to be a contributing writer to that blog.  I am very humbled .... and excited.  I said yes.  So I will be writing a post one day a week on that blog now.  I'm really looking forward to it.

     So, all in all, today was a good day.  And I am grateful .... and thankful.  I take 'em when I can get 'em.

      And now I will tackle the questions for the day:






kikibibi said...
My question for AMW: Will you pray for me?

Oh my dear, dear kikibibi ....... I am honored and humbled to pray for you.  (I did not include your whole comment on this post ..... but it is on your comment from yesterday.)
You, my friend, are NOT a terrible daughter.  How I wish I could stand at your doorstep right this very moment, so that when you opened the door I could give you a huge hug.
You do not suck.
You are coping.  And your are doing it the only way you know how at this moment in time.  You are trying to survive and not get sucked in.
I promise that I will pray for you .... and for your mom and sisters.  You need strength and peace and comfort.  And ..... I have no doubt that there will be many, many people praying for you now.
Thank you SO much for asking me.  It means more than I can say that you would ask.  No matter what is going on in my life ...... I want to be able to pray for others.  Always.
So thank you.
And now I will post the comment that L left for you:

Janine
Going to use your site here.
A message to kikibibi....As someone who knows depression (mom a lifetime member probably, past husband a couple of bouts, a couple myself and a couple for a son), I feel your pain. Sometimes a simple "i love you and I know you hurt and I have confidence in you" is totally enough, but others times, not even close. No one could "fix" my depression, but the love and watchful eye of those close to me helped me identify when I was at the point of needing treatment. If your mom is denying treatment, that's another issue...my husband at the time did the same and I made an appt for him and put him in the car and drove him to the doc. Later he was thankful as the cloud lifted. People with depression cannot make the decision to get treatment. It is more than they have in them. You are certainly not BAD to feel the way you do. Depression sucks the people around the sufferer dry. So dry. Learn more. If only that you can set boundaries while still loving your mom.
I'm sorry you are struggling with this! Depression affects so many and we are just not armed with enough tools.


JB asks:
What originally attracted you to Law School? What type of law did you want to practice?

Hmmmmm ..... let me see if I can remember back that far .....
I'm not sure what it was originally, but it may have been my first political science class.  I loved it. I kept taking them .... and ended up minoring in PoliSci.
My first passion was Theatre and I really did intend to see if I could make that my profession, but kept law school in the back of my mind as a "fall back" plan.  I even changed my major to Political Science early in my Junior year, but felt so miserable about that decision that I changed it back the next semester.  Theatre had my heart.  PoliSci had my common sense.
Once I knew that Jim and I would be getting married, I shut the Theatre door and opened up the Law School door.  It made sense.  My dad wanted me to go.  It seemed like the right thing to do.
And so I went.  I considered International Law and just general practice.  I knew I didn't want to go into corporate law, nor did I want to be a D.A.
But really, truly ..... I didn't really want to be a lawyer, either.  It just seemed to be what was expected.  And I tried to make it work ..... but it wasn't God's plan, either ..... and so it didn't.  I went for a year and did well enough, but huge changes in my life made it impossible for me to continue .... and stay sane.  I worked full time and went to school at night.  And then studied until the wee hours of the morning, because I could not study during the day.  My heart was not in it, my life was spiraling and I knew I had to quit.
So I did.  And have never really regretted it.  I've wondered how it would have all turned out had I stayed with it, but have never regretted it.
God had better plans.
More info that you asked for ..... but there ya go.


kdawnmartin: My question for you would be...what are some of your fond memories of our childhood?? Just wondering if we have any of the same. Love you sis! Hope today was better than yesterday.

My favorite childhood memories are from the time we lived on Latimer.  Selling golfballs back to the golfers (our house backed up to a golf course) .... yelling "Golfballs for sale!!" at the top of our lungs, playing hide and seek until nightfall with the neighbors, watching Michael ride his big wheel down the street, playing in that back yard ..... playing over at the Coulsons' .... while the parents played cards ...... 
Are they the same?  You probably had more fun over on Allegheny, but I was in high school by then ...... 


jessica said...
Okay - I'll be completely crude and ask: Wasn't there a photo that you were promising/threatening to post, showing your surgical "wound"?

yes .... there was.  If I remember .... I'll add it at the end of this post.  That way all of the squeamish people can know when to look away.


Dear J,
Frivolous question I know, but Pygmalion with Leslie Howard was on when I woke up - make that B woke me up - at 5 this morning. Of course I thought of Gone With the Wind and you. Here's my question: how did you always imagine things went for Scarlett after the end of the movie? Do you think she got Rhett back? I always thought so, but I always go for the happy ending and since I haven't read the book, I wondered what you thought.
Love you,
AEW


Ahhhhhh.  GWTW ....... I think I've seen that movie over 20 times.  I've read the book at least 5 times.  I always liked to picture the two of them getting back together.  I mean ..... who would end up having either one of them?!
I, too, always preferred a happy ending.  

lfintexas:
 - My kids are doing a timeline of their life at school, and it involved an interview of their parent(s) about what our life was like at that age (2nd grade/elementary school). My memory is so bad, I had to google a couple of things just to remember what was around at that time - LOL.
So, on that note, here are a few of the questions...EVERYONE - feel free to join in and answer as many as you like!

1. Favorite TV show, movie?  Wow .... way back then .... I loved "The Brady Bunch", "The Partridge Family", "Marcus Welby, M.D", "Emergency" ... "Gilligan's Island"
2. What was your school like?  We moved around a lot, so I went to several elementary schools.  The last one (grades 4-6) was a typical school .... K through 6th.  We had a mixture of races and income.  I liked that school .... liked the friends I had, loved going from class to class.  
3. What kind of lunch box did you have?  Didn't.  I had to buy my lunch.
4. What kind of clothes did you wear? Well, only the coolest, obviously.  Stuff from the 70's .... jeans, t-shirts, peasant tops, ponchos,  ... the usual.
5. What chores did you have? All of them.
6. What did you do in your spare time? played outside, read, read, read
7. What was your favorite subject in school?  I loved art ... and the teacher.
8. Who was president and what big events were in the news?  Nixon's the one I remember the most.  I recall my parents forcing us to watch the first man on the moon (and wanting to go play outside).  Vietnam War.




judemiller1 has left a new comment on your post "Not much to say ......":

I was curious how the older people in your church can do the Mentary (sp), if they can't get down on the floor or stand for the entire liturgy?
Thanks.

I'm at a loss on this one, JM.  I don't know what that is.  We don't have kneelers in our church and we stand at different times .... during many of the songs and prayers.  If it would be too much for someone then I'm assuming they would feel free to sit down, just as I have the past 2 weeks.  
Someone will have to jump in here and help out with this one .... please.

OK, I think that's all of today's questions.  As always, if I left yours out please let me know and I will be sure to add it.

And now ...... it's the moment you've all been waiting for .......  AEW, it's now time for you to close this window ....... you've been warned.
Son #3 helped me pick out the "best" picture ..... it's kind of hard to take a decent picture of this area, but in the name of science and medicine .... here you go:





    Impressive, ain't it?  The two scars at the bottom are the drain holes.  
So now that you've seen my hip ...... my life is pretty much an open book, isn't it?
sigh .....

15 comments:

M2K2USA said...

OUCHIE MAMA!!!!!

CRAP!

:(

feel better soon!!!

Anonymous said...

Yay Son #3!!!!!! way to go!!!!!!!!

Glad you met with your circle tonight. I hope your day tomorrow is a good one.
Hey, I noticed you have quite a scar on your hip?! whats that from???? ;-)
Love you! K

Anonymous said...

No WONDER you hurt. Holy cow!

Judy said...

I am so sorry for my Wednesday Question as I was confused. I was reading two different blogs yours and Forever Changed. The question I posed to you was meant for her. Please forgive me for confusing you--I should not post a comment after I have just awakened from a nap I guess. Sorry

By the way--that scar is awesome, but doesn't show the pain hidden underneath. I hope you continue to heal--in all ways.

Janine said...

JM, No apologies necessary .... I'm just relieved that I'm not a complete bozo (though I still don't know what that was!).
Thank you for the smile this morning!!! You can ask me confusing questions any time you like!!
:)

Anonymous said...

Dear J,
Thanks for the heads up! I scrolled down to the bottom of the page REAL fast and SLOOOOWLY scrolled back up to comment.

I'm not a TOTAL wimp, but if I look at your scar then everybody else will expect me to look at theirs too. So I just can't open that Pandora's box out of fairness to others. Sounds like it's a gem though! :)

Love you and am forever grateful,
AEW

kdawnmartin said...

WOW!!! That is a huge scar! I feel your pain now. I mean, I know your in pain and had no doubt but to see that huge scar is an eye opener. Hopefully your pain will be lesser and lesser each day. As for the memories of childhood, they were the same. I loved Latimer. Good Times! Have a great day Janine! Love you tons!

Anonymous said...

wow--that's some scar! tho it may fade, may it always be there to remind you of God's faithfulness!

i enjoyed your answers to ifintexas...and realize how many memories we have in common (probably because we're of a similar age)...especially all the tv shows. i also vividly remember wearing the ponchos...my mom had knitted me one, and the first day i wore it i sat in gum and the gum stuck to the poncho, and i just knew my mom would kill me...funny enough, i think we were sitting around at recess talking about nixon (i know...while you were the coolest, i was a dork) and then there's the "read, read read" answer...and the answer to another question, about GWTW...also one of my favorite movies and books. (saw it three times in one weekend once, which isn't easy considering the length of that movie...and i'm talking at the theater, not on tv.) anyway, thanks for the post, it was fun.

and i'm so glad your Circle is such a blessing, to you and to the other women in it...a gift of God in this season.

Anonymous said...

Your incision looks so good! This time next year it will be faded to white. Your surgeon did a great job putting you back together again! Especially for a place that is moving and bending all of the time! Hoping that there is less physical pain as the days go on. Love to you..AmyA.

Anonymous said...

Hey, nice scar, you are braver than me posting it!
I loved reading the questions and answer. I guess I remember allot of those TV shows but I am older than you so I remember Sunday night really well ---- Lassie (always a tear jerker!), Bonanza, Disney!
Have a great day.
Mary D.

Phyllis said...

If you love GWTW and have not read "Rhet Butler's People", you should read it. It has been a few years since I read it, but both my daughter and I really liked it.

Unknown said...

Hope you continue to heal : )

purejoy said...

wow that is an impressive scar!!
loved the questions and answers and congrats on your new blog gig.
i can't relate to what you're going through, but i always want to listen.
i know that is sorta strange from a complete e-stranger, but i think that is what is cool about this blog-world we live in. we lift each other up in prayer and hopefully help each other carry their burdens.
you sound like you are in a much better place now, and i'm hoping that your wound continues to heal. and your heart, too.
blessings to you.

Mary Lou said...

All I can say about the scar, is no wonder you hurt. That is a humdinger wow. It's not that gross, as someone else said may it be a reminder of His faithfulness to you and finding out about needing to go in and get the bad stuff out of your body. What a blessing your Circle is to all of us who read your blog. People in the same place in life can be of so much help and comfort. God has been so good to you to give you such a group. I have a friend who would have benefited from such a group. Her husband passed almost four years ago. She seems fine, but then I don't know.since she really doesn't share about her feelings except for being lonely and I know that she stays busy so that she is not home alone very much. That is great about Son #3 and his success in pole vaulting. Just saw the weather...hope you are okay and the bad weather is not messing with you and causing damage. Loved all of your answers to those who asked questions. Way to go to being a guest writer on the Widows Blog...You will inspire lots of other people...you write so well. Blessings and praying for your safety. Mary Lou

Unknown said...

O.K. Big Big Big Scar....but I can't tell what I'm looking at, it looks like a belly. Now that might not be flattering since it's supposed to be your hip. It does look painful! We continue to pray for your healing!
Love you,
Julie