I've been pondering the term "God-Thing" since I used it in yesterday's post. I realize that not everyone is familiar with that term. I realize that not everyone would agree with that term.
I also realize that the older I get, the more I see "God-Things" in my life. I also realize that the older I get, the more I look back on my life and see "God-Things" that I didn't recognize at the time.
This picture, my friends and readers, is a picture of a 100%, total, without-question "GOD-THING": ---- my family:
First, let me give you my definition of a "God-Thing" (and I'll use myself as examples, writing "me", rather than a generic "you" or "people"): it is an event (usually; sometimes it can be a feeling or an action) that can only be explained as God entering into my life and making a difference. Another picture of it that I see is God's hand, reaching down from Heaven, and touching my life --- stopping something, starting something, making me aware of something --- that I would otherwise have never noticed.
There are times in my life, when I was (and will) be going on my merry way, living, working, loving, playing ..... just doing what I do, and I have no doubt that God stopped time, reached down and touched something or someone one in a way that would get my undivided attention.
If you've ever seen the TV show, "Heroes" and you've seen one of the characters, Hiro, stop time and then walk around the people are who frozen around him, that's kind of how I picture it. There was a time when Hiro saved a child's life by stopping time and then moving that child out of the way of an oncoming car. He's saved several people by doing that.
I know .... it sounds weird, but that's the most clear way for me to describe "God-Things".
Many people describe these things as "coincidences". I don't believe in that word and my heart feels sad for those who do.
One of the biggest "God-Things" in my life was Jim.
Jim and I met the spring semester of our junior year at Oklahoma State (go Cowboys!). I was dating someone else at the time we met in a speech class. I noticed him right away, he always had his long legs stuck out under his desk so that I had to walk over them. He was tall, dark and kind of cute. The first time he gave a speech I loved his deep voice. He sounded very, very intelligent and I liked that. But the funny thing was, since I was dating someone at the time, the only thought I really had was that I thought he'd be interesting to have a conversation with. I didn't look at him as a romantic interest, but as someone who would be interesting to know.
Anyway, my history with the male species ALWAYS went like this: meet, become interested, go out, become a little more interested, start dating, have fun, guy says something like, "I really like you" ..... or God forbid-- the all-time kiss of death ..... "I think I love you.", and then I'd break it off. Always.
My mom once told me that she never worried about me getting my heart broken, she worried about the hearts of the guys I dated. And she was right. I wasn't kind when I heard those words. I didn't know how to break up other than to run scared.
Well, when Jim and I finally started dating (the end of that spring semester) our relationship did NOT follow that pattern. At all.
In fact, he was a jerk. Now, this is not a secret .... if he were here he would agree. I have no idea why he was a jerk and I have no idea why I put up with it ..... except for this ..... it was a "God-Thing". God wanted us together and God knew that if Jim ran after me I would bolt.
Now don't worry ..... he wasn't a jerk for very long ..... just long enough, evidently, to keep me interested.
One night we had "the talk" ..... you know the one.
The one where the girl (usually) sits down with the guy and says, "Where do you see this relationship going?". We both agreed that we didn't want to get serious and that it was OK to date other people. And then Jim was shocked when I told him that I was dating someone else .... in fact, a couple of someone elses. Guess he only "thought" that he thought it was OK.
The next day ..... the very next day ..... the "jerk" was gone and the man I would marry was in his place. And he pursued me like crazy. He became a completely different person. A "God-Thing", because had he not, I would have been gone.
My "plan" (for several years) was to graduate, go to New York or California and try to act. I had never had an interest in getting married before the age of 30. I never had much of an interest in having children. I thought that one day, I might have one ...... two if I really had to.
That was my plan.
God stopped time and reached down, pulled Jim's long legs out from underneath his desk so that I'd have to step over him ........ and the rest is history.
We married a year after we graduated. We decided that we would wait a year and then think about when to have a baby. I was now thinking I'd let him have two ..... even though he had once said something about 4 or 5 (which I think made me laugh hysterically and tell him he'd be lucky to get one).
We decided to go off birth control a few months before we would attempt to get pregnant because that's what the doctor said would be best.
God stopped time, reached down and made me the most fertile woman in America.
And so we had Daughter #1 9 months later.
And God stopped time, reached down and touched my heart, my mind and my soul and made me fall in love with this little girl and with being a mother.
And so I went from wanting "maybe one" child ...... to having 6. Not at all my plan ..... not Jim's plan, but totally God's.
So when you look at the people in that picture up there, you can see a little piece of God in each face. God planned each of us ..... and for each of us.
I could write a book on the "God-Things" that have happened in our lives over the last 28 years. There are WAY too many to mention here.
Way.
But the latest one was this ugly tumor in my hip. A very, very large "God-Thing".
I have no idea how long the tumor was there. I know that is was there in July 2008, when I had a CT scan because of a kidney stone, but no one noticed it. No one pointed it out ...... still not sure why that is, but there ya go.
Fast forward to San Diego, December 31st, last year. I had spent the night throwing up, thinking I had food poisoning. Once everyone was up and about that morning I realized it wasn't food poisoning, so it must just be a bug (and yes, I believe God reached down and touched my body and made me feel ill).
I am not one to drop everything and run to the doctor. In fact, I usually put off going to see a doctor until it's a bit late in the game. I try to explain things away and just push on. So when my sister-in-law mentioned going to see her doctor I told her no. I didn't think it was anything serious and didn't want to go, especially to an unknown doctor in an unknown city.
Then I started to feel worse and I started to have a fever (yes again .... God reached down). And I wondered whether it might be another kidney stone. This worried my sister-in-law, who kept trying to convince me to go to the doctor. I kept saying no, and that I'd be fine until I got home and would call my doctor.
And then God stopped time, reached down and touched my brain.
And suddenly---- out of the blue and very much against my nature ---- I said, "Oh, OK. Call your doctor's office and see if they have an opening. I'm sure they won't because it's New Year's Eve day".
And I believe that God again stopped time, reached down into that appointment book, and made a space for me.
And so I went in.
The doctor thought (after God reached down) that I had appendicitis and ordered at CT scan. He thought I might have to wait to have the scan .... maybe several hours at a hospital several miles away because it was a holiday. And God reached down again and made an immediate opening in the schedule in that building.
And so I had a CT scan.
And I did not have appendicitis, ...... but oh, by the way ...... in a totally unrelated matter .... I did have a tumor.
So the fact that this tumor was found --- when there was no reason to find it --- in a 100% God-Thing.
And the fact that the surgeon agreed to remove it, in spite of thinking it wasn't that big of a problem, is a 100% God-Thing.
Because it was a huge problem that was only going to get bigger and bigger and may, in reality, have killed me one day.
But God stopped time, reached down, touched several people's minds to make things happen, and said ....... "Not yet."
I don't know why .... except that He's not done with me yet.
There are many, many days when I wish that He was, but evidently He doesn't agree.
So the bottom line is this ...... I should, by all human reasoning, still have a tumor growing in my hip, blissfully unaware of it's existence.
But I do not ...... because God stopped time and reached down.
Because God performed what can only be described (at least by me) as a 100%, TOTAL, WITHOUT-QUESTION ........
..... God-Thing.
25 comments:
J ~
I think by far that this is one of my favorite things you have written....because I see so many of those God-things in my life and always want to shout out about them....and always wonder if people would think I am crazy! You are right....God is not finished with you yet....thank goodness!
How did you get so smart?
Glad you are feeling better!
kim
i completely agree, and i was pondering your "God-thing" too. what a blessing to have a kidney stone (or whatever it was that made you sick). what a huge, huge, lifesaving blessing!
I cannot wait until the day you write a book and I can sit and read it. I love your wirting, I know I say it a lot...but I do! And I too beleive it was a God thing. I wish I was there so I could give you hug. I miss hugging you. Love you tons!
I think you described a "God thing" perfectly and I am so grateful for the ways God has reached down and touched us all.
Yeah God! Glad you are starting to feel better to at least get out a little bit. Hang in there.
Blessings,
Brandy :)
Janine--
As usual; a powerful, powerful message to all of us. Again, as usual; some laughter and some tears on my end.
Still praying for you.......
A
It's so interesting, and humbling, to look back and see how every road I've ever traveled has led me to this place. I was the girl no one wanted to date. Sure I had a ton of friends, but just not that right person. I pursued all the wrong people hoping for a relationship to happen. I remained dateless through both high school and college. I briefly considered becoming a nun before commencement that spring. And GOD reached down and stopped me. The second I opened my mouth about my plans to a friend, the door opened and revealed a man to me. The cousin of said friend and I talked, met, dated, and got engaged in six short weeks! We have now been married for two years and have one son with another on the way! There is no other way to explain it...WE are a God-Thing.
J-what a great story...better than fiction because it really is a God Thing...and so are you, to so many lives that you touch without knowing it...you, whom God is using to be a God Thing in the lives of others. Thanks for writing this.
W-O-W.
I totally get the God thing, too.
God reaches down often...sometimes we just don't realize it because we're not paying attention. Luckily, 2 years ago this past January, He reached down and I paid attention. F-I-N-A-L-L-Y. And I think He thought the same thing.."FINALLY!"
And now I'm about to pick up my life and sell most of my things and move to South Africa because He reached down again and by that time I knew better than not to pay attention to Him. If I hadn't paid attention to Him 2 years ago, I don't think I'd be doing this. But I did, and I thank Him almost daily for making me feel so alone that I reached out to Him. I don't think I'd have leaned on Him otherwise and He knows that too.
So off I go...to serve Him in a far away land. :)
God is GOOD! And I look forward to seeing how He plans to reach down on me there! :)
What a great post! Couldn't stop scrolling once I started.
God is...
JB
J--can't let it go at my last comment. i think your "God Thing" testimony is made all the more powerful because of all that you have been through in the last 15 months...many would see this and say that what you've been through proves there is no God, or that he doesn't care about you...instead you have chosen to see how He has in fact cared for you during this time, especially as regards the tumor, but i know also in so many ways throughout the year...that's HUGE, and a huge testimony that has only grown over the course of the year as more and more people are logging on to "one breath at a time." God has a powerful message and he's allowing you to be the messenger. You are blessed, and a blessing to so many. Thank you, deeply.
My life is filled with God things too, Janine. They just keep coming, and you are right when you say maybe we see more when we are older - I can certainly see more things that have happened looking back. God things - amazing.
Good evening my darling daughter. I'm glad you are progressing, no matter the speed. I'm so thankful that I am close enough that I am able to be there for you when there is a need. My need to help is constant, so I'm so greatful when I can do something.
Coming home to no internet and no Dish TV REALLY ticked me off. The Dish TV was fixed by early afternoon. The internet, however, is a different story. As of fifteen minutes ago the workers have been here three times. The last call I made to the office I informed the girl is was getting "very unfunny". When they came back they said they "thought" it was fixed, but if not, call tomorrow. So far, so good.
Just so you know, I DO understand that my problems are SO miniscule in comparison. Just thought you might get a chuckle. I can tell you David cowered in a corner every time I would screech, "The internet's down, AGAIN!" Poor guy. But he's still glad to have me home. Imagine that!
Take care, get enough rest and enough walking, however much that is. I love you bunches.
Oh, yes.....is it all right if I refer to you as "my lil zipper hip"? ;-)
I so totally agree that this is the best post you've ever written. You explained your heart so beautifully. I so agree with you..about the God thing. With the child of God there is no such thing as a coincidence....God is directing each and every event in our lives. I could write a very long comment and tell how He brought my husband and I together and how He brought my daughter and her husband together..very much God-things.....my whole life has truly been that way. He has His hand on your life inspite of all of the hard things that have happened in the past few months. He truly reached down and got rid of that tumor. I pray you are sleeping much better and that your incision is starting to heal and that there is no pain. I don't comment after every post but I do read each one and I do pray for you daily. You have touched so many lives and helped so many.
Oh, I totally believe in God things too! My life is just full of them! :)
Thanks for sharing another piece of your story with us - beautifully described! :) And I hope you're feeling better!
This, by far, is my favorite post you have ever written. It explains how God has worked in your life in real terms. You certainly have a gift of connecting with so many types of people, and I know that God is using your words to create God Things in other people's lives. How awesome is that?
Before today, my all time favorite post was the one where you explain the stirrups to your son in a doctor's waiting room. I still laugh when I think of that:) But it's been replaced as of today!
Fantastic! Couldn't agree with you more! I love when I take time to recognize God's activity in my life and this post celebrating the activity of God in your life is Great! Like someone else said... your faith is broadcasting loudly around the world through this blog!
Love you girl, and I continue to pray for you. I love hearing the prayers of my boys as they pray for my friend "Janine". You are so very special to God and special to me as well as about a bizillion other people.
You are loved,
Julie
Janine,
BRILLIANT!!!!!!!
love you, lor
Cool post!
Dearest Erin!
I replied to your comment in my blog, thanks again!
This comment was beautiful.
I'll be honest, I'm not at all the religious type...but I'm very spiritual and am a hard-core believe in God!
I appreciate you taking the time to read me and follow me. I hope the I provide some kind of interesting reading!!!
:)
Much love and peace...
Liberty...
Hi..again..
I JUST now realized I commented on the wrong blog.
How excrutiangly embarrasing..
I apologize.
No wonder it felt like two different people.
lol
Either way, my comment stands about what I said on your blog! :)
Now if you'll excuse me, I have a foot I need to take out of my mouth...
Dear Liberty,
You made me smile. :)
I just figured you were addressing one of the other commenters!
I thought about deleting both of the comments ... I don't want you to feel embarrassed at all!!! But you DID make me smile .... in a very nice way.
And .... I am now going over to read YOUR blog!!
:)
God is still speaking!!! You're right, He's not done with you yet. God is still speaking,
Thank you for considering the sparing me my embarrassment.
To tell you the truth, the embarrassment is gone. I just did something silly, not taboo or anything of the sort. :)
Thanks for reading me! (agaaaiin!!)
I absolutely LOVE this post, I have felt like that too. I truly feel blessed and its a Godthing;)
Post a Comment