Yes, it's spring break but it's been on the quiet side .... even with two teenage boys in the house. They seem to come and go so much that there's not much time for noise here.
Who'd have ever thought that noise could be missed?
Ahhhhhh ..... it is.
So first thing this morning I let Gabby outside and saw that I needed to re-fill her water dish. Thinking that I'd love to hop over the puddles, and not get my socks wet, I decided to make a dash, while hopping, for the water dish.
Yes .... it would seem that I forgot ..... for only a nano-second ..... that this might be a problem.
Mid-leap my left hip let out a scream that I'm sure could be heard around the block. I'm surprised the neighbors did not come running. OK, I'm not really surprised by that at all, but that's another blog.
Anyway, I kept hopping and dashing and STILL got my socks muddy ...... DAD-GUMMIT!!!!
And then sat in a recliner doing Lamaze breathing for about half an hour.
Labor must be like riding a bike --- you never forget.
It --- and the breathing --- all came back.
And actually, the breathing did about as well for me today as it did through all 6 births .... NOT MUCH!!!
As an aside .... if I were Mr. Lamaze (I'm only assuming it's a mister because it's usually men who come up with things that they THINK will work for child birth .... ironic, no?) .... I'd be a bit embarrassed to have a method named after me. Well, at least THIS puny method.
But heck, if I came up with the "hit her in the head with a hammer and wake her when the potty training is done" method .... I'd be quite proud to have that bear my name!
Where was I?
Oh yes ..... trying to breathe through the pain. Whatever.
When the pain finally became a dull roar I loaded the boys in the car and ran a couple of errands. The worst of these errands was going to our local post office to re-new their passports.
Now let me just say ........ I don't know how things work in your city/town/village ..... but here in our lovely community ..... it would appear that one must pass a test to prove how slowly one can move before being hired to work at the post office. No lie. If you don't believe me .... read the comments that will now ensue.
Anywho ....... it would seem that there is only one person at our USPO who can "do" passports. The sons and I were there for over an hour. My hip was screaming very, very loudly at the end of standing for that hour.
And while I'd love to just leave you with the thought of our slower-than-my-daughters-cleaning-their-room (trust me) post office ...... I do have to admit that there was a very bright spot.
Her name is Kerry. She was the person who handled passports. And while she was slow ..... as she evidently had to be to get the job ..... she made my day.
She did this by not sending me home after I'd waited for an hour in line because I had not filled in my sons' SS numbers ..... and I did not have them with me (didn't think I'd need them because it was a renewal and you don't have to bring them if you have the original passport). You don't need the actual card, but you do need to have the number. I did not.
But instead of sending me home to go get the info and then come back ..... and wait again ..... (and trust me, every other person who works there would have TOTALLY made me do that), Kerry took out a piece of paper, wrote her cell phone number on it and told me to call her with their numbers when I got home.
I KNOW!!!!??!!!!!
Kerry rocks!
So if you live in my lovely community and go visit our lovely, yet oh-so-slow post office, please smile at Kerry and tell her that's she very much appreciated ..... and wish her a nice day.
As soon as we got in the car I downed two pain pills (yes .... I know ..... but don't even go there), got the boys' lunch at MickeyD's drive-through and went home.
I thought that if I just gave my hip the rest and respect that it deserves it would stop yelling.
It did stop yelling ...... and just sort of murmured annoyingly at me for the rest of the afternoon.
So I met some friends for dinner ..... a very nice time ...... we haven't gone out for quite a while so it was great to re-connect.
And then I went to off to lead the Grief Share group for a couple of hours.
And then came home.
And now I can't believe that YOU cannot hear my hip.
If I could smother it ....... I would.
I find it amazing that as I started to write this post .... I thought I had absolutely nothing of interest to write. I thought it had been a quiet (see above) and rather dull day.
I thought wrong.
9 comments:
Dear J,
I'm putting my Pollyanna wig and frilly dress on and saying "aren't you GLAD that the pain in your hip has gotten so much better that you could forget even for a nanosecond that you were recovering from surgery?" Don't you just want to slap her?
Sorry it's back though, I caught your twitter. Maybe you better write down when you take the pain meds. When I've had a bad headache I've been unable to remember if I took anything for it (cuz sometimes medication can't make a dent) and then I'm afraid to take anything.
Love you,
AEW
AW -- you'd better take off that wig before you get hurt!!! :)
Good idea about writing down the time .... someone has also mentioned putting them out on my nightstand ..... the amount I can take through the night, so that I'll know how much I've taken.
Both good ideas ...... although the problem is .... when it gets really, really bad .... I don't think you care all that much what time or how much ..... ya know?
It's time your sons memorized their own SS#'s.
AAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA...LOL...Even I can hear you laughing at that one I'm sure! :)
But really...
Hopefully Kerry didn't slip the paper into her purse.
Man, I really don't mean to sound like a downner tonight...really!!!
Hope you are able to rest tomorrow and do nothing at all!
Oh, thanks Ami!!!!!
I had thought of that .... but now I have her phone number .... and know where she works ..... just in case.
:)
And anyway, if Kerry really wanted SS numbers she could obtain them at any time from any passport form that passed through her hands.
Remembering your "pondering" post, it was good to read: "So I met some friends for dinner ..... a very nice time ......" Your words paint an encouraging picture.
JB
J,
I'm glad you're getting out some, but sorry your pain isn't going away any faster. Are you allowed to "mix" the pain pills with Margaritas? Just a thought here...
I am just catching up on the weekend's blog/comments - YES we still played baseball this weekend in the COLD and RAIN. I thought only football players had to play through those kinds of conditions!
Very cool, getting to visit with and talk with GF. I've been in KW for over 18 years, and I have yet to run into him. Guess I don't get out enough.
K - Thank you for sharing (Sunday's Ponderings post). You are a very good, loyal and wise friend. I'm glad God gave you such wise insight, and that you were able to express it so well.
That's all for now,
L
J,
Oh yeah - I have a question. You can use it for "Ask me Wed", or not...
I know the wife of the Shell executive who recently died in the Amsterdam plane crash. I only know her from high school (she is the older sister of one of my good high school friends) - and I haven't been in touch with either of them for over 20 years, except for our HS reunion. Anyway, I want to reconnect with her, if only to pass along "your blog" - if that makes sense. (Is that ok?) I guess my question is - at what point, or how soon, do you think she would be ready or even open to reading? I know everyone grieves much differently, and I believe that her emotions are overwhelming and raw still, at this point. Is it too soon?
Thanks,L
I'm sorry that you had to spend any amount of time at the KW Post Office. That is a painful experience in and of itself but to have the hip pain is an extra measure of difficulty that you just didn't need.
On a brighter note...do you watch Dancing with the Stars? Melissa (from The Bachelor)looks stunning on there and makes me cheer.
great story about the post office, and the pain, and all the other humor you used...thanks for bringing a smile. I'd tell you some post office stories, but like childbirth, i assume, i've put the pain out of my mind. i will try and keep an eye out for Kerry next time i'm there, but i'd rather slit my wrist than make an unessential trip to that place...i remember a blog you did a while back about going postal, and it, too made me laugh.
Post a Comment