and this,
and three good friends who will spend a beautiful morning playing tennis with a friend who can't quite keep up (but who hopefully will soon!) for two hours (plus a tennis coach who is gracious enough to be kind when hitting the balls to me to make sure I didn't have to move much). Today was my mental health day .... and it was VERY much needed. After tennis we all went to one's house for lunch and some video watching. So very nice.
The only mar in the day was when I called my doctor's office this morning. I wanted to make an appointment to see her to talk about pain management and what else I could be doing, so that the pain is better and that the pain stops leading to depression -- especially at night when the pain, and the depression, is much worse.
The woman who answers the phone told me that I could not be seen until April 21st. Really?! Seriously??!! Yep.
I told her that I was in intense pain and that depression was getting bad. She told me that if it got to the point of me doing something drastic, to call her and she'd try to fit me in the following morning.
I informed her that it has already been to that point in the past week, and that although it was better today ..... at the moment I was talking to her, it tends to get worse at night ..... when her office would be closed.
Yeah ..... well ..... ummmmmmm ..... she pretty much ignored that and repeated what she had already said. I tried to get her to "hear" me a bit longer and then just gave up and took the April appointment, which I later cancelled.
If it weren't so tragic it would be freakin' hilarious, wouldn't it? Tragedy/Comedy ..... this is my life.
Fortunately for me ...... my doctor knows me a bit better than the average patient and she had given me her cell phone # last year, when the depression first set in after Jim died and it was very bad.
So, after some encouragement from a wonderful encourager, I texted my doctor and asked if I could e-mail her with my questions ..... because of the pain, depression and because I'm flying blind here as to what to expect in all of this. My surgeon gave me zero information about healing time, pain, anything. I have been clueless.
My cell phone rang in less than 30 minutes. I love my doctor.
She has read the reports and knew much more than I did about the surgery and the results. She was horrified to read how much more involved this all was and what a huge ordeal it was, and will continue to be. She could tell me why the pain is so bad (the whole scraping of the bone thing, as well as the muscle being cut in two) and how long to expect some degree of pain (at least 6 months). She told me what meds to add, what she would prescribe and that she wants to see me in a week or so.
Yay. For. Her.
So .... I am encouraged --- even though I now know this will affect me much, much longer than I had anticipated ---- because at least I understand it better now, know what to expect and know that she will help me to keep the pain under control, which will hopefully help with the depression.
Encouragement is good. So very, very good.
And on that note ..... I must update you on Son #2, who was home for spring break last week.
He is doing amazingly well.
A. Maze. Ing. Ly.
He is a different person than he was in December. It's like night and day. He was happy and talkative and animated and ..... wonderful.
He still doesn't want to be there, but knows that he'll be home for good in 10 more weeks if he can just keep his grades up. So far, so good.
I am so thankful that God gave me the strength to stick with this ..... to not cave in and let him come home.
He would not be the young man he is today had I caved.
I am so proud of him ..... as is Jim.
So ..... a good day.
And .... a good evening. Son #3 and I went to have dinner with some very good friends and it was a very nice evening.
I am thankful for every-single-good-hour in my life.
So thankful.
And .... in my never ending quest for things that will make you smile ......
THIS is why this adorable, loving, wonderful horse/dog no longer sleeps in my room.
Enjoy.
:)
25 comments:
I am so encouraged to hear about P! That's truly wonderful. I'm so sorry you're having to deal with all the pain - yuk - and how it makes the depression so much worse :( I am glad your doc called you!! One good doc makes all the difference don't they?!!
Dear J,
I am so glad about your day! You have GREAT friends and a GREAT doctor who needs to have a GREAT big talk with her receptionist! I'm happy you are getting the help you need. Just KNOWING has got to be a relief. Not knowing can make you worry that this could be as good as it gets.
I know you don't want any medical advice, but Gabby sounds like she has sleep apnea - do they make CPAP machines for dogs? :)
Love you,
AEW
Oh, Gabby, too funny! So glad to read about your Dr. and her really being there for you! Fantastic, that is so awesome! Continue to pray for your healing.
Love,
Julie
Good evening my darling daughter. I am SO glad you had a good day. And YAAYYY for your doctor. I love her and don't even know her. She's wonderful.
And OH GOOD GOLLY!! I nearly peed my pants! Gabby is SO funny! Her sister sounds a lot like that. It can only get worse, huh? As I keep telling Sassy, it's a good thing you're cute!
I love you so very much. I pray tomorrow will be as good as, or better than, today.
Good for you (and for your encouraging friend) to be so proactive in seeking some answers and some relief!!! And a big Hip Hip Horray for your doctor! SHE ROCKS!!! So glad your day was a good one overall!! Love you, V.
it's getting better! i'm so glad. love you lots.
Omigosh! She sounds just like my Boxer when he's sleeping. (and my husband, for that matter!)
I'm sure glad that you had a good day, in spite of the pain. I'm also so glad to hear that P is doing well and has come so far in his time there. I love you SO much!
Lis
Janine,
What a great day! Hurray for your doctor! Praise God for Parker! How good to be with friends for tennis, lunch, video, and dinner! And as for your horse...I agree with AEW - cpap machine.
Al
Hooray for your doctor! Hooray for God's goodness revealed in Son #2! And Hooray for the horse dog! LOL!
Oh, my is all I can say to Gabby's snoring...that is worse than any human I have ever heard. That would keep anyone awake, even with a hearing loss.
You are one blessed woman to have such encouraging friends around you and such a wonderful doctor. She is truly great. What wonderful news about Son #2...you and Jim were right on target to send him where he is...he has learned a lot more than he may ever be willing to admit. Thankful with you that he has done so well. May today be even better than yesterday was. Blessings...Praying as I go...
Yay! Yay for your good day and your wonderful doctor! And as fo Gabby...she sounds just like Mike. (to bad I cant put him out in another room and in a cage...ok just kidding. Not in a cage. Love you tons sis!
Oh my gosh--that dog is amazing!! She snores louder than any human I have ever heard. Apparently her snoring while sleeping in your bedroom did not comfort you? Like you would not feel so alone at night?
I love that dog!!!
Your Gabby videos always make me laugh!
What a joy to read about your getting to play tennis! I'm sure it's not your version of really playing but you were out there, pain and all! I'm so proud of you for making that step in your recovery, both mental and physical.
You should probably share the name of your doctor with all of us who live in Kingwood because the good ones are hard to find.
Love you.
Janine, I hope you had a good day today! I love the videos of Gabby, she is sooooo cute.
Love,
Jeri
Gabby should be renamed, hmmm maybe Noisy? I like reading your blog, wow what a strong woman you are, and I thought I was Wunderwoman LOL
Also, can I share your mom? I would love to have someone start off a comment for me by saying "Good morning/evening my darling daughter" I just love that!
Dear Janine:
You don't know me -- I found your post through another post of a widow. I, too, am a widow :( -- 5+ years now. How I wish I could have blogged from the beginning because I think when you try to talk to others about how you’re feeling, it doesn't quite come out how you mean it -- but written words, WOW, such an impact. And yours have great impact on those who read.
I miss my George -- that awful gut-wrenching pain is gone, but there is always the dull ache of wanting him here. I love the song you shared by Nicole Sponberg, (yes, I have felt it many times over the years) – I have found great comfort from many of the songs by Selah.
Thank you for your transparency. And in spite of all you have been through, you still laugh. That dog of yours is hilarious! We got a dog a couple months after my husband's death and she has brought great comfort and security to my family. God is good with his gift of dogs!!
It looks as if you have many people who care deeply for you and that is such a blessing. Thank you for sharing -- maybe someday I will blog -- if I can figure out how to do it!!
Oh, by the way, my George's birthday is January 6.
Blessings,
Beth in NC
Wunderwoman ...... you have my permission to share my mom. She has plenty of love to go round.
:)
Beth in NC,
Thank you so much for your encouraging words. I look forward to the day when the gut-wrenching pain is gone ..... I find it amazing to know how much of that pain we can take and not just ..... die.
I am very blessed by many friends .... don't think I'd be here if not for them.
Thank you so much for commenting .... you give me encouragement .... and that, Beth, is something that I can NOT get enough of ...... at this time in my life.
I hope that your George and my Jim have now met and are smiling that we have.
:)
Janine
Dear Janine:
I believe George and Jim have met and are cheering us on to "fight the good fight and finish the race" - but, I sure am tired!!!-- I have 4 children (14-22yrs). By the way, what does T.A.N.W mean? Also, isn't it amazing how these dogs of ours seem to think the furniture is all theirs. My dog, Georgia (named after George) thinks that all furniture was made for her - NOT!! Wishing you good rest tonight.
Beth in NC
Beth ..... it means There Are No Words.
And thank you for the wishes for good rest ... I really, really need that. It's been a bit lacking lately.
Thank you for the smile at the thought of George and Jim cheering us on.
Ditto on being tired ...... guess it goes with the territory?
I'm glad we've "met".
:)
So glad you had a better day! I always do much better when I know what to expect. Keeping you in my prayers.
Debbie,
So glad to see you've popped in again!
Yes .... you are spot-on ..... I always tell people that it's much easier for me to handle things if I KNOW ahead of time what's going to happen. I can prepare myself for almost anything .... it's the unexpected wave that comes crashing down on me that almost drowns me!!!
If you ever feel like e-mailing me .... please do:
jeggerstx@gmail.com.
I hope you have a peaceful night.
ahh, the wonderful effects of sunshine! Glad to see that things were good for you today. You have an amazing strength - hopefully there will be more sunshining days than not. :)
My daughter was laughing so hard at the video of Gabby she bit her tongue!! Now she's telling horse jokes....coincidence? I'm not sure. Hilarious? ABSOLUTELY!
Thanks for the laugh and stay strong! What a great role model you are for your children!
Eh, letting me have come home would have been good though ;)
UHDSBJKDH!!!! BY THE WAY! I DID HAVE ALL C's!!!!! My Biology Teacher (being inane, and he has huge favoritism issues) didn't putin our exam grades until the Tuesday I had gotten back! So I KNEW IT! I had made a fricken 86 or something on the Exam!!! *swoosh*
Anyways, I'm diggin the whole bi-polar computers here. Sometimes your blog is blocked, other times it's not! Hah!
But all kidding aside... I can't WAIT to be home!!! I'm currently passing all my classes. Made a 108 on a Bio quiz. *swoosh again*
So I'll call you this weekend and update you on all this stuff.
Love Son # 2-cool-for-school
:)
Oh and just so you know...
If I had the grades I have here at KHS
My Grades would be
B's and C's
now, let's add the simplicity factor of KHS...
I'm guessing even A's and B's! Maybe all B's at the least!
So my GPA would be at least a 3.0, or if KHS is on the 5.0 scale, a 4.0!
Woopdie-fricken-doo for MMA!!!
MY GPA AT MMA IS A 2.1 BECAUSE OF THIS STINCKIN GRADE CRAP HERE!!!
So anyways, ready to come home...
sticking out MMA (one breath at a time)
Son # 2-old-for-this-crap!!!
;)
Post a Comment