Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Ask Me Wednesday!!


Happy Wednesday, my Peeps.

Well, hopefully it was happy for each of you.
I seem to be living in an EPA hazard and feel like I now have "miner's lung" .... yes, it's that bad.
You can see the dust in the air.  Heck, it's not dust .... it's dirt.

Anyway, we've made some headway ... "some" being a word with many different meanings.
At least we have plastic sheets put up to block the dust.
Ummmmmm, yes ...... they were put up at around 5:00 p.m. yesterday ..... after the stair guys had been here ALL day, sawing, hammering, and working on the stairs ..... creating all of the dirt in the air .... that made it throughout the house ...... since no one thought to put up protective sheets of plastic until ....... you know ...... 5:00.
But hey .... let's celebrate the little things.

Here are some pics:













     Do you now feel as tired as I do?  Just looking at that mess exhausts me.

OK .... so Son #3 had another track meet tonight ..... he came in 3rd again in the pole vault .... AND .... he beat his personal best by A FOOT!!!  Yes, he cleared 9' 6"!!!!
He did a wonderful job!!!
Mom and D drove in to watch the meet so they got to see him at his best.
I had them take the two cats home with them ..... cats and stained and drying wood stairs/floors do not mix.
Of course, this means that I'm really relying on the workers to start staining the floors tomorrow ..... which means that they now won't do that until late next week sometime.  Maybe we should place bets?

Enough of the bantering ..... on to the questions:

JB asks:
Who was influential in your:
1) love for tennis?
2) journey with Christ?
3) appreciation of theater?

and why / how?
 
1.  I would have to say that Jim was the most influential person in my love of tennis.  I played a bit in college and we played some while we dated and when we were married .... until I was 6 months pregnant with Daughter #1 (really).
Then, when Son #3 was around the age of 2, he encouraged me to put him in Mother's Day Out and start taking lessons.  
He always encouraged my tennis and told me, when my schedule would get overwhelming, to never give up tennis .... but to give up other things first.
So ... Jim.

2.  I had several Sunday School teachers who influenced me a lot .... but one, in particular, when I was in about 10th grade.  I wrote her years later, after we had several kids, to let her know how I was doing and what an impact she had on me.  
Since then I've had many friends who've influenced me along the way .... but I would say that she was the first.

3.  This one is less clear.  My mom gave me the love of movies, I think.  And musicals.  But as for theatre ..... I just sort of came to it by accident ..... in 6th grade .... my first play.  I still remember it .... and loved the feeling of it.  But I didn't do much with it until I took my first Theatre class .... my freshman year of high school ...... and then I was hooked.
There is nothing like sitting in a theatre ..... or better yet .... walking onto a stage. especially a dark and quiet one.   I love the smell of a stage .... they all smell the same.  It calms me and invigorates me at the same time.
So ... to answer your question .... I'm not sure, other than theatre teachers and other theatre friends.




Nat said...
In case you forget, my question is what is the story behind the beautiful quilt(?) photo your sister-in-law sent you?

Ann has developed a love for photography ..... and she's always had a love for sewing, crafting, needlework, etc. that she totally inherited from her mother.  She told me that she had all of these items (some of them from her grandmother) and she took them out and arranged them, with the thought of taking pictures in mind.  I can't remember if she started the quilt, or if her mom did ..... she'll have to jump in and give a more detailed answer. 




My question to you is, what is it that makes a great marriage? Is it luck? Is it wisdom, in that you knew he was the right one and he knew you were the right one? I understand it takes a lot of work but it seems like sometimes that just isn't enough. I know from reading that you and Jim had something very special and I'm just wondering - if you could give advice to your children or anyone else about what makes a great marriage - what would it be? Thanks for sharing your life, your pain, your dog (I love your dog!!! I want one!) your children (notice I didn't say I want one?) and everything else that goes along with living "one breath at a time".

Gail

Wow, Gail --- "thank you" is about all I can think of at the moment.
What makes a great marriage?  
Since I don't believe in "luck", I can say that's not it.  Not at all.  
     As for wisdom ... in knowing Jim was "the one" ..... I'm not sure that was wisdom.  It was just knowledge.  I just knew it.
     I think that one thing that makes a great marriage is commitment.  We knew .... from the very beginning of our engagement .... that we were committed for life.  Divorce would never be an option.  Never.  
That makes you want to work on the relationship.
Plus, we truly enjoyed and liked each other.  He was my best friend.  I enjoyed spending time with him.  
     And we both had a great sense of humor .... which, I think, is hugely important.  
     Of course we argued and got mad at each other ..... but it was still the commitment ... to God, to each other and to our children, that was always foremost.  And we were both passionate about marriage .... and encouraging others in marriage.  We always took advantage of marriage Bible studies, marriage seminars, marriage retreats, etc.  
      And we both loved each other more than we loved our children, but less than we loved God.
Our kids knew that .... they knew that we put each other higher on the list than we did them ... and I think they felt secure with that knowledge.
     And I think we were just blessed .... and were always aware of it.  
Always.



What do you think of middle schoolers taking summer courses for high school credit? Is it overzealous or a good idea?From an under achiever mom named, Ann.

Ann,
I would say that if she wants to take a summer school class .... just because she wants to and not because she feels stressed to .... then it's fine, as long as she has plenty of time to still be a "kid".

My sister asks:
OK...my AMW question is this...What should I do with Patrick?? He has been sent to the principls office three times this year today being #3. This time it was because he was disruptive in gym class...much better than the last time he was there (thank you God!!) But I just don't know what to do with him and I am afraid he is going to get worse as he ages, he's only 8 but does not like to follow rules. What ever wisdom you might have on this is needed, I got nothin!! Love you tons sis!

Oh my sweet sister .... this question is too loaded for a paragraph in a blog!
First, are there consequences at home for his behavior?  Do you let him know what's expected, what's accepted, and what's not (and what will happen if he breaks any of the rules?).  And if so, are you consistent with discipline and consequences?
He needs to know the difference between rights, privileges and responsibilities.  
And he needs to know that there will be tough consequences.  
And that he doesn't have the "right" to toys, video games, computers, TV, or anything else that's fun.  He has to earn those privileges by acting responsibly.


Wunderwoman: 
Question: you talk about going to work, what is your profession? I really enjoy your blog. 

I work part-time at our church, as the director of Care Ministries, which includes Divorce Care, Grief Share, Stephen Ministries ..... things that help people with support and care and healing.
I used to be the Director of Women's Ministries, then took some time off, then went back to work a few months before Jim died, as the Director of Missions.  I just changed to this last position in October.  


OK,  that's it for this week, my Peeps.

See you tomorrow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the answers to my questions. All three provided insight into your life.

My questions for AMW (April 22) are:
1. What percent of your first serves make it in?
2. Do you ever slam your racket into the ground after a bad shot?

3. Have you ever played on grass or clay? How was it?

Thanks,

JB

Mary Lou said...

Loved your answer how you and Jim loved each other more than your children and less than God and your kids knew the "order" of things you have set the standard for them to follow and a great one for other people too. Your answers blessed my heart. Hope your pain is lessing. Do you go to the dr next week or the very end of the month...I've lost track...praying for you...