Thursday, April 30, 2009

I Miss My Heart

                                 My Heart ..... and me:

Yes, indeed.  I miss him.
Quite a lot.
And today, I can type those words without crying.
Life is starting to look a little brighter, in spite of the half of my heart that is gone.

     I have seen a little bit of the "before Janine" this week.  Now, don't get excited ..... it's only a bit, and I know that she will never fully be back, but bits and pieces are OK.
I've been a bit anal retentive this week.  
For the first time in over 490 days.

     I am vacuuming the dog hair out of my family room every day.
Every. Single. Day.
Yep ..... that's part of the "before me".
The scary "before me".
But I'm OK with that.

     Today was a good day.
Actually ..... today was a very good day.
I played tennis ..... and though I lost all 3 sets ..... I played very well.  The points were long and hard-fought.  I don't mind losing when I know I have played well.  It felt great.
In spite of the pain meds I had to take before and after.
It was well-worth it.

     Then I went to work.  I haven't been to work all week because of the medical crapola that's been going on.
I love my job.  I love my co-workers.
I just love being there.
I may put a cot in my office.
Anyone want to finish raising a 14 year old boy?
And a horse/dog?

     I came home around 3:30 and found that ...... are you sitting down??? .......
progress has been made:
     they floated the floor today:
I could cry.
Really.
Pathetic, isn't it?
Hey ..... I take joy from whence it comes.

     Oh ..... and the hole in the wall?  Well, the contractor wants to move the wall back on an angle in the study, and put in French doors to make it more interesting (I forgot that over a year ago we had discussed this) and so she wanted to look inside the wall.
So there you go.  Mystery solved.

     I'm happy for the progress because I had to call her yesterday (and text and e-mail) and leave a very frustrated message.  I had been out of the house for two full days, thinking the floor would be worked on ...... and not a single soul had entered my home.
I was not happy.
To put it mildly.
And so I told her.
     She called right away and apologized and said that she had had to fire the floor guys ..... for reasons that I shall not repeat here ..... but let's just say that they may not have always had a clear mind when doing their jobs.
A-hem.
     I thanked her for telling me and assured her that, yes .... I did need to know that.
So she had just hired a new guy, someone I've heard good things about from other people so I'm good with that.
And so we are floated.

     And now I will turn our attention toward a topic that seems to be freaking the majority of you out more than it is me:   the Big "C".
Yes .... it is very strange to utter, or even think, the words, "I have cancer.", but there ya go.
I have received so many e-mails, texts, and phone calls from friends and family who are seriously freaked about this ..... especially, and of course, my children.
But I'm OK with it.  Really.
I mean ..... of course I'd rather not have it at all ..... and would really rather have God let me have a totally clean bill of health ...... but for some reason ..... He doesn't see fit to do that.
And so there is a small knot in the pit of my stomach, or in the back of my brain ..... but it's small.  I really am relying on the doctor's words that the odds are in my favor.  
I am choosing to not worry about this ...... not a lot anyway.
I know that there are different kinds of cancer that are just there ..... in people's bodies and that nothing is done to treat them, because the treatment could be worse than the non-growing cancer itself.
But I do thank you, my loving and caring and praying Peeps ..... for being concerned.  It is strange to think of someone having cancer and nothing being done for it.
Strange, but not unheard of.

     Tomorrow I am heading out of town for a glorious and very-much-anticipated-and-needed girls' weekend.
I.  Can.  Not.  Wait.

     I haven't decided if I will bring along my computer, though in all honesty .... I probably will.
But in case I do not post ....... it is time for another question.  And I expect much diverting and fun discussion ....... so feel the pressure and do a good job.

Let's see ....... OK ..... here's a very deep and introspective one ........ and no fair just copping out and saying that you don't have an answer!!!

     Tell me one thing ...... JUST ONE ..... no matter how big or how small ....... that, if you could live part of your life over ...... you would do differently now ...... knowing what you know now.
Again .... don't cop out.  Everyone has at least one thing that they wish they had done differently.  I'm not suggesting that you'd live your life over again ..... or that you'd live your whole life differently (I certainly wouldn't), but tell me ONE thing you'd do differently ..... one decision you might have made differently ..... if given the chance.

     I'll start ...... for me ...... one thing I would have done differently is our wedding.  If I had to do it all over again I would have done it very, very small ..... maybe even eloped.  It's a lot of hoopla and pressure for such a short time (not to mention expense).  I wish we could have been married on the cruise ship that we honeymooned on.

     There you go ....... it's not so hard.  Make it as deep or as shallow as you want ..... but discuss.
It makes things SO much more interesting.

     If you don't hear from me over the weekend ...... presume that I am having a blast.
Because I intend to.

Later, Peeps.

UPDATE:  T.A.N.W.

Daughter #3 has written something about her mother on a web site.  People read these submissions and then vote.  
I just read what she wrote ..... and I am speechless.
Click here to read it ..... and vote on it, if you'd like.  Make sure that you enter "most popular stories first in the drop down menu.
Her on-line name for this article is "leggs", but you should be able to recognize the pictures.
I think it may take you to the first page, and her article is on page 46.

Have I told you lately that I love my children?

Thank you Daughter #3 ...... so very much more than I can say.
I have the most amazing children.

UPDATE ON THE UPDATE:
As Susan commented .... you might find Daughter #3's post easier if you click on "stories with photos first" .... she found it around the 6th or 7th.  
As you are searching for it .... look for the author named "Leggs" and the first/main photo she uses is the one that is at the top of my blog with me and the 6 kids.
Don't forget to vote ..... I'm not sure what she wins, but it's worth a shot.
:)




     

21 comments:

TressaMOMof3 said...

One thing I would have changed would have been to go to college right away after high school. So now here I am in my mid 30's with 3 kids going back to school in the fall. But at the time, I was to into figuring out who I was and falling in love with my husband. So I guess, I really wouldn't change a thing, but if that was the one thing, that is what I would change.

I am praying that the cancer doesn't grow. I am happy that you are at peace with it. I am also happy that you are seeing a little bit of your "before" you. God bless you!!
Tressa

Anonymous said...

This was an encouraging post. Good tennis, you like your job, the floor was floated (by guys who are not...ahem..., you are getting after the dog hair, you have a weekend ahead, your are handling the "c" word, and your daughter's story was really special!

Done differently? It's not one thing, but then again it is. I would have hugged my children more frequently and read bed time stories more often.

JB

susan said...

looked for D3's story the way you mentioned, but couldn't find it...then went to "stories with photos first" and found it around 6th or 7th...no longer on pg 47, since as people vote the stories move. just fyi. beautiful story, and i love the photos...it took some guts to post the funny face shot!

glad to hear about good days...

M2K2USA said...

I would have called my father. I would have been part of his life even if he didn't reciprocate.

Anonymous said...

you know what i would have done? i would have taken as long as we wanted--heck the whole 10 weeks--for our honeymoon without giving one stinking thought to being needed by work...because as we know, work keeps on going even if life doesn't...

Rick said...

The prize is a $1K Avery gift card.

There are plenty of things I would have NOT done. That I would subtract from my history. What things would I add? I honestly cannot think of something. Sure, there are things that would be nice or handy if I had added them to my life. But in spite of the challenges that I am stuck with - health challenges my children face, which I cannot change, for example - I am happy at the core. And since I know that "wishing I had done X" is a formula for dissatisfaction, I don't run on that track very much. Most of the things I wish I had added when I was young, I have added now.

Nat said...

I would have completed college and I would have found a way financially to do it on my own when I thought I could not.
One of my biggest regrets!

Anonymous said...

I hope you have a great weekend!!

I wouldn't have eloped at 19 - much too young & immature even though I dated my now husband for 3years. Would have/should have waited to get out of college. But I did go straight to another college and get a 2 yr. degree (better than nothing).

Just wanted to ask you what denomination are you and your family? Just wondering.

Praying that your cancer will stay dormant.

Laura W. (N. Georgia)

Daughter #3 said...

I would've told Daddy how much I love and appreciate him every day.


I love and appreciate you too, by the way.

Judy said...

I would not have married a second time--to who I thought was a wonderful man, but turned out he was Bi-polar and almost killed me--twice. and regular beatings. It also caused a huge strain in my relationship with my youngest (17 at the time) daughter. I so wished I hadn't done that!

Carrie said...

Oh, wow, how can I follow THAT comment??? TEARS!!!

Thanks for sharing more about your cancer with us - I'm glad God is giving you peace about it.

I would have done my high school/college years a lot differently - I wish I could've told my husband that he was the first guy I'd ever kissed. And when I look back, I see how selfish & inflexible I was...not that I'm perfect now, but I think you have to go through certain things sometimes to grow beyond them. I know motherhood has been difficult for me lately, but I hope I'm growing through it, becoming more like Christ.

Carrie said...

Wow - loved your daughter's story, too!!!

Mary Lou said...

I would have done far more for my mother.
so, glad you found out about the hole in the wall and the floor business got straightened out. I pray you have a great week end. Also, praying that the cancer doesn't grow. You are taking the right attitude about the whole thing...you are doing it right in my thoughts...for what they are worth. Loved what daughter 3 wrote...I voted...you deserve every accolade any mother could possibly receive. I pray you will have a very blessed mother's day next week. Blessings as you share with all of us and teach all of us.

Anonymous said...

I wish I would have pursued a Master's Degree and not been in such a rush to get a job and get married. I also would have loved to have more encouragement/and or opportunity to play organized sports. I was an arts girl, but loved to play volleyball.
AmyA.

susan said...

i'm with rick in agreeing not to live with the what if's...that being said, m and i always say if we had it all to do again, "we would have cut the cake earlier"...we had 2 full tiers of cake left, because the mc waited so long to do the cake...and you can imagine what happens when a chocoholic gets a hold of a tier of cake (yes, we had chocolate cake, white icing...another layer was strawberry and custard filled...delicious)anyway, other than that, no regrets

Tri-Vet said...

Mine is not so much a do something different, but a wish I were different. A bit less reactive, more tactful, and a lot more patient. Most of the regrets in my life are related to these things. I love my life though and my choices and I wouldn't change any of those.

elliebelle said...

hmmm... I'd have to say my first marriage (something I am not proud of), but if I had not gone down that path I don't know that I'd ever met my husband (we've been married almost 13 years). So, although it is a regret... it was a stepping stone to where I am today... and I wouldn't trade that for anything.

kdawnmartin said...

My biggest regreat would be my first marriage...it was stupid to marry someone just becuase I felt sorry for him. At least it was only a year and a half...

I loved Daughter #3's story. It was beautiful.

Have a great weekend and I love you tons!!

Anonymous said...

I would not have gone to work when the kids were small. IT made me too independent and not a partner to my husband. I really feel everyone suffered,

Saundra

Anonymous said...

I wish my husband and I of 39 years now,would have pray together as a couple. Now that all the children have gotten married I think it wouldn't be as lonely.3 beautiful grand babies make it less lonley!!
AND I would have kept my mouth shut and listen more.

Praying Our Lord heals you of the "big C"
Jo Ann The Woodlands Tx.

LG said...

I would have waited until marriage.