I made a poor decision.
I was sleepy this afternoon. The girls were leaving. The sun was shining. Gabby was dirty.
Very, very dirty.
So, instead of taking the needed-nap (because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to sleep well tonight) .... I decided to wash Gabby.
I can't say "bathe Gabby", because it's really just like washing a car.
I got everything ready, put the leash on her and then turned on the hose.
And that's when things went crazy.
I'm not sure what her last experience with the hose was, but evidently it was bad.
Very, very bad.
She went nuts.
And a 130 pound dog going nuts on me ..... wins.
She started bucking and pulling against me and I was pulling against her, trying to keep her from bolting.
Unfortunately, she pulled so hard that her collar popped right over her head, with the leash attached.
The leash ..... the thing that I was pulling with 130 pounds at the end of it ...... suddenly didn't have any pounds at all at the end of it ...... which meant I went flying backwards.
And landed on my left hip.
On my driveway ..... which is made of cement.
And yes, it did hurt.
Fortunately the girls had just driven back into the driveway (since Daughter #2 had forgotten her purse) so they witnessed the debacle.
And Daughter #2 then helped me get Gabby back on the leash again (this time using the training choke collar) and she was there to help when I turned the hose back on and she was there to help when that dog when even more nuts than she had the first time.
She started freaking about the hose, and then started freaking about the choke collar, which of course, was doing it's choking job as she kept bucking like a wild bronco.
Somehow Daughter #2 got her to calm down. I don't know how.
She must have some "dog whisperer blood" in her ..... Gabby soon calmed down and I was able to wash her.
Because ..... as God is my witness .... that dog may have won that small battle but she is NOT going to win the war! She may be bigger ..... but I am WAY meaner!
It takes a long time to wash a muddy 130 pound dog.
Holy cow.
Next time I'll definitely choose the nap.
Here are some pictures from the weekend:
The two ding-bat cats, who are at the moment my favorite pets, because they weigh a lot less than I do ..... and don't need washing!

I'm not sure what it is about this ladder ..... but I think it's related to the "Napoleon Complex" ....... you know --- they feel a lot more powerful when they're up higher than everyone else. Too bad they're not as agile coming down as they are going up:

Well, that's it for tonight. It's time for hip-silencing drugs.
Start thinking up some questions for Wednesday ..... put some energy into this, my Peeps!
I mean .... really ..... if I'm entertaining you with hip-busting, dog-washing tales ..... the least you can do is think of a question!!
14 comments:
Always love the pictures Janine...Lauren's hair cut looks VERY good on her...I can't believe Connor is just a tadbit shorter than Spencer...he is in the growing years!!!..I know it must have been good having them home for Easter; & good they are close enough to come, since it isn't a holiday break...Uncle Danny & I Love you Much Dear Niece, & of course, keeping you in our prayers...Aunt CC
Good evening my darling daughter. Ah, I'm sorry things got so out of hand with Gabby. From now on make sure Conner gets the job of "washing" her. Man, I wonder what happened with the hose?!? We enjoyed having Easter with you very much. The church service was really nice. D still wishes he had applauded you, however. He brought it up again today. lol He was very proud of the job you did, as was I. We love you very much.
Oh No!!!!!!!
I saw Gabby yesterday and I can attest to the fact that she was very muddy. But Really!!!!! are you kidding me!?!?!?!? Please call Scrub-a-pup(281-389-9119) next time!!!! they come right to your door and give your horse....ooops....I mean dog a bath.
I hope you have not injured yourself!!!!
I really enjoyed seeing the kids this weekend. I just dropped B off at the airport this evening myself- It is always so hard to see them go. I wish it got easier. I'm still hoping that someday it will be easier!
I love you, K
Pick one, two or answer all three.
Who was influential in your:
1) love for tennis?
2) journey with Christ?
3) appreciation of theater?
and why / how?
JB
Hi im a lurker but i just wanted to say ALL of your kids are Gorgeous! And i think Daughter #3 looks Just like you! Hope you have a great day :)
Dear Janine,
Somebody needs to wrap you in cotton! I can't IMAGINE how much that hurt!
It has taken me years to get it through T's skull that you have to take it easy sometimes. If you have a cold, don't wash the car. If you have allergies, don't mow. If you're recovering from surgery, don't bust broncos/wash dogs.
Just repeat this mantra after me: When I'm not playing tennis, I'm a delicate flower. When I'm not playing tennis, I'm a delicate flower. When I'm not playing tennis, I'm a delicate flower.
You think I'm kidding, but we've been saying that for years...except the tennis part.
The kids all look so great! I love D3's haircut!
And I'm still think, think, thinking on AMW. It sounds like you're throwing down a challenge!
Love you,
Ann
You have to use that baby gate. If you bend it into a square, put her in the middle, and then close it, you can use the hose and she'll just stand there (no leash involved). If there's nothing between her and freedom she's going to make a break for it.
-Spencer
did you learn nothing from all those years of parenting? "kids" live up to the names we give them...if you call someone a horse, of course they're going to be a bucking bronco...why not try calling Gabby "fluffy"...see if she doesn't get all cuddly!
In case you forget, my question is what is the story behind the beautiful quilt(?) photo your sister-in-law sent you?
The kids are beautiful adults except son#3 of course and he's just a hunk of a teenager! Love the new style on daughter#3!
I love reading your blog! I have five children - three girls and then two boys. I've always joked that if I'd had boys first, I never would have had five. But of course I love all of them and and wouldn't change a thing. My question to you is, what is it that makes a great marriage? Is it luck? Is it wisdom, in that you knew he was the right one and he knew you were the right one? I understand it takes a lot of work but it seems like sometimes that just isn't enough. I know from reading that you and Jim had something very special and I'm just wondering - if you could give advice to your children or anyone else about what makes a great marriage - what would it be? Thanks for sharing your life, your pain, your dog (I love your dog!!! I want one!) your children (notice I didn't say I want one?) and everything else that goes along with living "one breath at a time".
Gail
ACK! NOW aren't you glad that you don't have TWO (or more!) of those horses???? I bet you can't believe you even contemplated getting another one! I have an idea...since Spencer is such an expert on this, just let HIM do it next time! (See Spencer...you have to say, "Huh? Mom, I don' know nuttin' 'bout washin' no doggies!")
D3's hairs are beautiful! Of course, she was gorgeous even without the new "do", but it's very cute on her!
How is D1 doing in Russia? Any word? When does P come home?
I love you tons and tons. Thanks for commenting on my blog too Sis..you're the only one who does! LOL!
Lis
your children are beautiful. and i think that dog story would have put someone without prior hip problems into an emergency room!! i don't know how you managed to get gabby bathed after that. i think it is a picture to your ablility to perservere. despite the pain and the odd and the fatigue, you press on.
thanks for the story and the pictures. you are one heckuva mom.
I LOVE D#3 hair cut. LOVE IT!!! Don't wash the dog again, well at least for the next few months, thats what we have kids for REMEMBER??? A nap would have been much better. All of my niece's and nephew look great, just like thier AUNT!! LOL Just like thier Momma! I love you Janine!!
J-
Tell D# I love her haircut. We sat a few rows behind you in church on Friday Night (awesome service) and my daughter and I both love it.
Cheryl
Post a Comment