Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Best Laid Plans.....

.... can change over night.
It's my first morning in Moscow and it's not going as planned. I slept OK last night, except whenever I moved and then the pain in my hip would stab through the sleep. When I got out of bed this morning it was like someone had grabbed me by the back of my neck, hauled me backwards through a time tunnel, and slammed me back onto my hospital bed at the end of February. I can barely walk and each movement is very painful. I was stunned.
I've played 3 days of tennis in the same week and never felt this badly. This was totally (& stupidly?) unexpected. I'm trying not to get upset but just concentrate on needing a day to rest (like I'm 95 or something!). D1 & I had planned to visit a bakery, then go to her school, where she has an 11:00 meeting. Then we were going to walk around parts of Moscow and do some tourist stuff, like take pictures, which I have yet to do (remind me to tell you of my near-arrest in Paris for picture-taking; it makes me leary of snapping away and gives friends & family the awesome opportunity to make fun of me!).
Anyway --- I called D1 this morning (yes, long distance on my iPhone even though she's only 4 floors above me--we haven't figured out the phone thing) to tell her I'm out for the morning.
I. Am. Bummed.
I asked her to bring her computer and some DVDs down before she leaves.
What a fun way to spend precious time with your daughter in Moscow -- by NOT doing it!

In other news, we are flying to St. Petersburg instead of taking the overnight train because it costs less than half the price. Yes, I,too am trying to NOT picture a 4-seater plane/puddle jumper that they'll make me parachute out of over Petersburg (the locals don't say St.).
We shall see.

The computer in the hallway isn't connecting to the Internet this morning and since I don't read Russian I've decided to not mess with it. Hopefully I've checked all of the correct boxes on my phone, so that I'm using the wi-fi here and not the thousands-of-dollars-satellite connection.
We. Shall. See.

OK, hopefully my pain meds (which aren't nearly as strong as I need at the moment) will kick in momentarily and I'll nap for a bit.

Please pray, Peeps (yes it does seem that I'm ALWAYS asking you to pray!).
Pray that my hip stops screaming at me. I've grown accustomed to the pain -- it hurts 24/7 but I can usually deal with it, with rest and meds sometimes. But this is horrible.
I can't deal with this amount of pain as well -- and I definitely can't sight-see and deal with it. I don't want to have to spend my time with D1 stuck in bed, and I suspect she doesn't either. Besides, how embarrassed will she feel having to tell all of her friends that her mother is too old to get out of bed?!

UPDATE:

It's now 12:45 p.m. and D1 is back.
My hip is still screaming, but the meds have taken the shrillness out of the scream.
So we are going to head out. The weather is beautiful and I refuse to sit my visit away.
Yes, my hip, very much like my children, will make me pay for this later ...... wait ..... who am I kidding?!
My hip, very much like everyone's children, will whine and scream at me all day long while I make it sight-see.
And I, very much like most mothers ...... will try my best to tune it out.

Thank you for praying, Peeps ..... please keep it up.

P.S. Wouldn't it be great if I could buy some candy Peeps and then take pictures of them with me all over Moscow?
While there are tons and tons of chocolates here ...... I doubt that I will find Peeps as easily. But I'll try!!!
:)

10 comments:

Holly said...

Many prayers coming your way, hope you fell better very soon!

kdawnmartin said...

Sorry your hips is being so loud! Damn hips! You can't take them anywhere! Hopefully the afternoon was better than the morning. I commented on your yesterday blog but I must have hit the wrong button. Oh well such is life! I love you tons my dear sister! Have fun and I'm praying your hip will quiet down SOON!

Mary Lou said...

I am so glad you got there safely. So sorry that you slept so badly and feel so bad. Praying for you as you go with your daughter. Don't ever feel that you are asking too much for us to pray. It is our privelege and honor to pray for you. Sisters in Christ are supposed to pray for each other. Praying for no pain, good weather, good fellowship, great sleep and a blessed time. Love and prayer, Mary Lou

susan said...

so sorry about the hip...but love how you described it as a whining child while sightseeing...praying that the pain goes on its own vacation...away from you.

hope you had a great day seeing some sights and enjoying some food...and try not to get arrested! (saw your mom's post).

Nat said...

I am praying for the pain in your hip to ease and hoping that your sightseeing includes a lot of rest stops on benches, in sidewalk cafes(if they have those in Moscow) and just taking it easy.
Love you.

susan said...

of course, then there's that sick and twisted part of me that thinks...hmmm, if she got arrested for taking a forbidden photo...that would make a great blog post, because no one can tell a better story than J. Now you know what kind of friend i am.

Anonymous said...

Over & over again. It just doesn't go away does it. I hope the theatre is great tonight. In prayer for you. mjd

Jonsson said...

If you sleep on your side, put a pillow between you legs . . . Moni

m said...

oh no! feel better, mama e. i am keeping d2 and d3 in the know about how you are doing since they can't get to a computer right now. they say they hope you get to feeling better. love ya.

Janine said...

Moni ... I have slept like that for decades ..... can't sleep any other way.

Monike .... tell the girls hi and that I am doing better!

Susan .... you're just as sick and twisted as I am, my friend .... I thought the exact same thing!! Woot!

Nat --- Thank you. I love you!

Mary Lou and Holly -- Thanks for the prayers .... keep 'em coming!

Dawn --- Hey you!!! How's Kris? Having fun??? I miss and love you!
Give the kids (OK ... and Mike) a hug from me!