Hello, my Peeps. This will be my last update from Russia. The next time you hear from me I will be in America .... thank God!! I think I really will kiss the ground when I arrive.
Yes, I did get my debit card straightened out and was able to pay for the dorm. Huge sigh of relief, as I didn't want anyone screaming at me in Russian tomorrow morning around 5:00. Of course, who's to stop someone from screaming at me for something completely different? Oh well .... I've done my best. I managed to not take any forbidden pictures, didn't get stopped by any military personnel (unlike my visit to Paris), and haven't overtly ticked anyone off .... aside from my mere presence, which isn't anything personal. Or so I'm told.
On Sunday --- D2 and D3's 22nd birthday!!! --- we went to the Dostoevsky museum, which was very interesting. It was his apartment while he was in Petersburg. That man got around. It was neat to see things the way they were when he lived there, and to learn all of his eccentricities. Great writer.
We also went to the Russian museum, which I think was the museum in which D1 declared herself, halfway through, as "museumed out". I thought I would cry tears of joy.
Instead, I merely nodded and agreed that we had seen a lot of museums and if that's what she wanted to do (leave) I was fine with that.
I somehow managed to not dance a jig. It took a huge amount of self control. :)
We then went to see the Church of Spilt Blood, which was lovely .... inside and out.
After that we took a boat tour of Petersburg .... with a bottle of wine. I was so thrilled to be able to sit and do a tour!! It was very interesting .... even though it was cold and rainy. It rained every day that we were here, until yesterday, which was a gorgeous day. Thankfully that was the one day that we knew we'd be outside for the whole day. More on that later.
After the boat tour we went to the hotel to dump our things off and then headed out to a Spanish restaurant. The food was delicious .... from begining to end.
I have had very good meals while in Russia .... contrary to what I was foretold.
We also went to the Petersburg market that day. The people who man the booths in the market places are amazing. They are fluent in many languages. They must be highly educated to work there. One woman spoke Russian, English, Spanish and Italian .... all while we were standing there. I'm sure she spoke many other languages, too. D1 has been very impressed by the market people.
We got back to the hotel around 10:00 or so and fell into bed. It's been consoling to know that D1's body is at least as half as sore as mine is.
My hip has been awful for the entire trip. The pain is getting really old, but I've done my best to ignore it as much as possible. It's been pretty bad tonight. I think I notice it more when I'm finally relaxing.
I'm hoping that a few days of rest at home will make it happy. I plan on doing nothing when I get home. It will take me a few days to just catch you all up on the blog!!!
D1 and I had frozen pizza and wine again tonight for dinner. I baked it outside of my room and then carried it up to the 5th floor to her room. Today was the first day that I was able to climb up to her room. Actually, the word "room" is very generous. I think her room is actually the size of my closet .... maybe a teeny bit bigger, but not much. I will post a picture of it when I post the rest.
I think she has finished packing. I have packed some of her winter things with my stuff .... in the 2nd suitcase I bought here.
I'm hoping that I will be asleep in about an hour (it's 9:41 p.m. now). It's been so weird to think of the time difference this whole time. I'm usually getting up just as everyone back in the States is getting ready for bed!
Speaking of beds .... I will be glad to get to mine.
Son #2 comes home on the 28th .... the day after tomorrow .... also known as my 26th anniversary. I'm trying not to give that date much thought .... other than picking him up at the airport, which I hope I remember to do since I think I'll be in a coma for a few days!!!
OK, Peeps. That's it from Russia .... with love.
I will see you on the "other side".
Thanks for reading and thanks mostly for your prayers.
You're great Peeps!!!
3 comments:
have loved every last post from Russia with love...and looking forward to many more stories from this side of the ocean. and pictures. and more pictures. guess you decided not to post pictures while you were away to keep from having a $3000 phone bill?
mark will probably be passing you at the airport or in the sky as he heads to kenya. safe travel. see you soon.
Good evening my darling daughter.
I just read your latest tweet. You're getting out of that country just in the nick of time! Those are crazy, crazy people over there!! What the hey?!? A taxi to
the airport at 3:00 am??!!?? Like I said, the nick of time! Run for your life, never look back!! Get your sweet self home to us, the people who love you! I hope your trip home is a good one. I hope you will be able to get some sleep. Please call when you get home. I love you mightily.
can't wait to see the pictures from your trip. you've done a fantastic job of painting word pictures, and i hope that your flight back is without incident and that your hip allows you to relax and enjoy and rest.
blessings to you as you remember a wonderful day for you, your husband and your children. may it be a day of celebration and remembrance.
Post a Comment