My friends and I were blissfully unaware of this until the lights started going out in this massive hotel. I think they only went out a couple of times while we were downstairs, walking around the shops and taking in the sights.
We are staying at the Gaylord ...... and you should totally google it. I'd never heard of it but it's over 400 acres under a dome. There are restaurants, a "river walk" throughout, shops, a spa ..... and tons and tons of plants and flowers. It's beautiful.
We arrived yesterday around 5:30 or so. We went to our rooms and unloaded our stuff and then met in the one bigger, "party" room, where we had snacks and wine and laughs. We had a great time.
When we arrived I texted Son #1 to let him know that I was in his vicinity. He expected that the 7 of us would get back in the car and go meet him on campus.
He was wrong.
So he showed up here and hung out with us. We ..... and he ..... had a blast.
We all went down stairs for a late dinner (read: free dinner for him). I loved having him come and visit. Even if he brought his brochures and pros and cons list for apartments for next year, and wanted to talk business.
The boy is his father's son ..... it's amazing.
This morning I slept in, which was wonderful, and then we all met for breakfast. We then headed back to the "party room" and hung out some more. A few people ventured forth into Grapevine, a few of us stayed behind to just relax and talk.
It was a very, very nice afternoon.
When the adventurers returned we headed downstairs to investigate the shops and flowers and that's when we heard about the tornadoes when the lights started going out.
We walked around for a while and then disbursed to our rooms to rest before meeting to go out for dinner.
It is now time to meet.
So, even though you are hearing from me ...... still know that I am having a blast.
I am relaxed, I am with friends who love each other, and I am not feeling sad, stressed, or pressured by anything or anyone.
I am happy.
I am also realizing that, for the first time in over 490 days, I am starting to look forward to things. My heart, although grieving and sad, is adjusting and feeling lighter. My heart can be sad, but my mood does not have to match. Not always anyway.
I am grateful. I love my family. I love my friends. I love my job. I love playing tennis. I miss Jim, but I love him and know that he will always be with me. And I know that he is feeling happier for me, too. I love my God and know that He's with me ..... that He's always been with me, even when I haven't feel His presence.
My hip hurts ..... it does not like to travel (so it should be SO happy when I go to Moscow!), but I don't care. It just has to adjust.
I am moving forward. Not "on" ..... but forward. I know that I will still have tough days ahead of me ..... but I am beginning to see light. In spite of my hip. In spite of the "big C". In spite of not always being able to please everyone.
In spite of so much.
So. Very. Much.
I am blessed and I am thankful.
And very thankful for you, my Peeps, who have been with me on this roller coaster. You've stayed with me in the valleys ..... and encouraged and lifted me up out of those valleys with your prayers.
Thank you for staying with me. Thank you for praying for me.
Thank you for being sad with me .... and happy with me.
Thank you for being constant.
The roller coaster is not over ..... but it's getting less scary.
Especially with so many cheerleaders on the sidelines for me.
I. Am. Blessed.
Now please keep discussing the discussion question from yesterday ...... your answers have been great!!
19 comments:
I am so glad you are having a wonderful time this weekend.
It's so strange to think of what you would do differently if you knew then what you know now. Everything happens for a reason and I am so happy with my life now that all those things I look back on got me to this place where I am now. So I guess I can't think of anything I would change. Time does pass so quickly though and children grow up too fast. If I knew that then I would have stopped wishing for the next stage. I am always looking forward though so I guess I have not learned my lesson even after all these years.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend!
Kim (Canada)
I Googled, and now I am envious! Have a great weekend.
I am very happy for you and proud of you! I'd like to think this spark of old Janine is due to the meds. You know my history with meds (third time was the trick after believing the first 2 times that I was "cured"!). It's OK to live with meds. Some of us are just wired differently. As the commercials say, "Who does depression hurt, everyone, "Where does depression hurt, everywhere". Most importantly though, medication allows me to be myself. I may be a little heavier, but I'm happy! Bottom line - I loved reading about your happiness tonight. It's been a long time! Love, Cindy T.
I am so glad for you and that you are having a great time with great friends. Forward ever forward.
Okay, my friend and movie guru extraordinaire...here's something you won't want to regret not doing... (did you follow that?) Don't miss seeing the movie, "The Soloist"--amazing! Jamie Foxx is incredible. I at least, not being a moviegoer or a tv watcher of late, had not heard anything about it, but I am so glad it caught my eye this afternoon when trying to decide what to do on a date this evening since both kids are staying with "grandma j". It's not really a "pick me up" movie, though in an incredible way it is. that's it for the movie review, you just have to go. don't wish later that you had. (does that stick with the discussion topic enough?)
Glad you're having a great time in grapevine! hadn't heard about the tornados..see comment above about no tv.
I was with my family just across the street from you at the Great Wolf Lodge...the weather was interesting there for a while...We stayed later than we had planned so we wouldn't be out in the storms. The Gaylord is a fantastic place...Brian and I had reservations for a getaway there just two days before he died...I remember having to ask my friend to call there and cancel our weekend....
Yah! To borrow your very fitting phrase (or is it really an acronym?).....
TANW.....and your words brought tears of joy to my eyes,
You have been waiting a very long time for this day!
Have fun tomorrow!
I have followed your blog for some time. Your words tonight brought these words to mind:
"the LORD has done this, and it is marvelous in our eyes.
This is the day the LORD has made;
let us rejoice and be glad in it." (Psalm 118:23-24)
just read the question and i will have to get back to you on that. There are a few places, more shallow places that I would do over, places where maybe I should have believed in who God created me to be and beleived more in me instead of needing others to define my "worthiness".
Loved the blog today, I am to glad...forward is an amazing word.
Love you, mjd
This is one of two posts where I have cried tears of happiness for you! Hope your weekend continues to be a blessing! Love you, Vicki
I just read D2's submission on that website. It made me cry! You have such wonderful, amazing kids.
I can't tell you how delighted I am tonight to hear a little hope and happiness as I read your post.
Have a wonderful time and enjoy this great feeling!
I love you SOOOO much Sis!
Lis
GRAPEVINE!! That's the kids' "home" town! Glad you're having a good time. It is really laid back over there. If you have time for shopping today, Southlake Town Square is nice. They have all these funky decorated longhorns ... oh, and shops. If you go, parking is easiest by Barnes & Noble. Hope you have another great day!
Love you,
Ann
I am SMILING for you........continue to enjoy your trip......
As for the question? If I could do one thing over again, I would NOT have sex with the first guy I lusted for. I wish I had known that the way he made me feel was NOT unique to him. If I had had more knowledge I would have known better. Moral: Educate your children!!!
It is just amazing to me the power of the human spirit to withstand and become strong and beautiful within extreme circumstances. I think Janine, that you are more beautiful today than you were 500 days ago. I think of this analogy : A lump of coal under EXTREME pressure becomes an object of intense beauty - a diamond. Same for you, girl (like you weren't good enough before - ha!).
You might be interested in watching the documentary Crazy Sexy Cancer by Kris Carr and checking her awesome website. She is a huge inspiration, was diagnosed with an incurable cancer in her late 20s and did a documentary (the Atascocita Blockbuster has it) that is really good. She calls it the "little c". Through diet she has gotten it to not grow at all for like 3 years. (she also is in a situation where they did not want to treat it or it was not in her best interests) However she became a vegan... she juices a lot... but her spirit and health stuff and all of it is very inspirational!!! www.crazysexycancer.com
I am sooooo happy for you that you had such an incredible week-end!!!! I am going to check out that place!!!! Janine - you are ONE AMAZING WOMAN!!!! I don't know how you have time to have soooo many friends, blog, read blog comments, play tennis, work at the Church, keep up with 6 kids, be on Facebook, and TWITTER!!!! How do you do it all??????????? I love you!
Sorry it has been such a long time since I've posted on your blog. I do read everyday though.
I'm so grateful that you had a good weekend. I too had a good weekend. I blogged about it today if you'd like to check it out.
I actually have a some questions for you and will email you one day soon.
Glad you had a good weekend.
Thank you God!!! I am so freakin happy that you are having a wonderful time and to here some happiness in your posts here and Sunday. I love you tons sis. You are an amazing woman. More than one has said it so it has to be true!
I TOTALLY agree with Leslie.
Post a Comment