Thursday, May 21, 2009

Russian Day 3

It is Thursday morning here ..... a little after 10:00.
D1 is at her film class, I am in the Green Room of the Theatre in the building next door. Her plan was for me to sit outside at a cafe .... my hip chose the couch in the Green Room.

OK .... yesterday:
After the recital we went off to the Kremlin.
We went on a tour of the Armory, which was astounding. They so many jewels in that place that you almost need sunglasses!
Those people used to put jewels on everything .... even their toilets! I kid you not.
The life of a Czar wasn't so bad.
Well ....... if you don't count that whole "let's shoot the whole family and take over the country" thing.
But other than that ......

I learned that one of the Catherines (not sure which, since I don't read Russian and the English-speaking tour guides really frown on you following them around if you didn't pay them. Some people!) had to be the most miserable person on the face of the earth when she was 16 (I learned her age and identity from following a tour guide .... but only for a moment!).
They had some of her dresses there ..... I wasn't even BORN with a waist that small. Oh my goodness ..... no wonder these people seem perpetually irritated! I cannot imagine how many servants it took to get that corset so tight!

Anyway, so we saw jewels and clothes and carriages and Fabergé eggs and weapons. I have never seen such beautiful daggers and swords. D1 and I had the same thought ...... you really wouldn't mind getting stabbed to death by something so beautiful. Heck, it would be more like an honor!

I discovered that this is where they hide all of the beautiful things in Moscow ..... in this building.
It was amazing and I'm glad we went.
Even if the tour guides are a bit touchy.

We went into 3 cathedrals at the Kremlin.
They were .... different.
Nothing like European cathedrals.
Lots of icons .... the Russians take great pride in their icons (which are basically just paintings that have gone through some huge "blessing" ritutal ...... Son #3: it's much more elaborate than your Pope Soap. Everyone else: Remind me to tell you the story of Son #3 and his Pope Soap some day).

After spending a few hours there we went back to the school for the actors' finals ..... about 8 scenes from Russian plays.
They were pretty good ... I especially enjoyed the fact that they were in English.

Then D1 had to go to a play .... so she set me on the right path (really thinking I'd veer off of it) and I walked back across the city to the dorm.
And made it.
I KNOW!!

I read and watch "Friends" on her computer, until she got back at around 10:00.
Then we chatted and looked in the guide book for planning today.

I got up at 7 this morning (unheard of around theatre people) and read and got ready.
As I started to put my socks on I noticed a big stain at the bottom of my jeans. Upon closer inspection it appeared red ..... very much like red wine. And it was damp.
Seeing as I did not have red wine for breakfast (though trust me, it may come to that) ... I was stumped.
I went into the bathroom to rinse the stain and that's when I saw the source: I had cut what appeared to be artery sites on the front of my leg.
Yes, am aware that there actually aren't two artery sights on the front of the human leg, but hey, that's what it looked like!
See? You get the Kremlin tour and you also get the reality of my life ..... who could ask for more?

Back to my dangerous amount of blood-loss ..... I cleaned up the jeans (and then decided they were too wet to wear) and applied band aids on the wounds, which would not stop on their own accord.
Not a great way to start the day.
It's OK ..... don't worry ..... I drank a Coke to stop the dizziness.

And here I sit ..... waiting for D1 and quenching your thirst for entertainment.
You must get out more.

Today we plan to visit St. Basil's Cathedral and a convent.
I will do my best to not tick off any nuns ...... but I make no promises.

I'm not sure they'll like my rendition of "Climb Every Mountain", but it must be done.

To keep my prayin' Peeps entertained.

5 comments:

Lisanne said...

Well it sounds like in spite of your lousy hip, you're still having a great time with D1!
I'm certainly not as jealous as I was when you went to Africa;)
My top places to see are Africa, Italy, Ireland & Scotland...and every tropical island that I can lay on a beach and drink margaritas!
I'm glad you're having fun. I love you very, very much!

Lis

Mary Lou said...

You do keep us entertained. Glad your day went better and you didn't get lost going back to the dorm. Stay safe and keep enjoying your time with her.

Mom said...

Good afternoon my darling daughter.
Oooh, lucky you! Your tour (guideless) sounds amazing! Were you able to get pictures? I don't suppose so, but I can hope. I just saw your latest tweet, and I had to laugh out loud. I can just see you sitting in that play, in Russian, and wanting to be anyplace but. But just think, you are having all kinds of learnin' poured over your head. Whether or not you want it! Hang in there. I know you are enjoying being with D1.

Things are fine here. Dang Gabby SHEDS!! There's shedding and then there's SHEDDING! She should be bald by this time tomorrow.

We love you bunches!

Anonymous said...

OMG!!! HOW DID YOU CUT YOURSELF??
DO YOU NEED STITCHES?? YOU CAN'T JUST LEAVE US HANGING LIKE THIS!!!

LOVE, LOR

Denise Thiele said...

Thanks for keeping us informed about this very interesting trip. Hope that your hip pain goes away completely so that you can enjoy your site-seeing.

Talked to D2 today and they are driving back today from their adventures.

Love-
Denise T