Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Ask Me Wednesday!!

Happy Wednesday, Peeps.
It has been a long day.

My MRI was scheduled for 3:30.  They called this morning and said that one of the doctors had ordered x-rays, too, so I needed to be there by 2:00 for those.
A & M took me down there, thankfully.
They took me right in for the x-rays and I was done with those around 2:30.  We then went to the MRI department, hoping that they would take me back earlier than 3:30.
Ummmmmm ..... they did not.
In fact, they didn't call me back until about 4:30.  And then they put in my IV and made me wait some more before they finally started the MRI, which took an hour.
It was uneventful.  Just a long day.  But A & M kept me distracted and I enjoyed spending the day with them .... even if it was in a hospital.  :)

After they cut us loose from the hospital we went to see the new "Night at the Museum" movie at the Imax and then we had dinner at a nearby restaurant.  
So I've only been home 30 minutes or so.  
I'd better get to the questions before this turns into "Ask Me Thursday!!":




W said...
I have a question. Does vodka taste better in Russia?

That is a terrific question, W!  
If I had only tried the vodka!!!
I'll have to ask D1 that one ..... I distinctly remember her mentioning the vodka.
Sorry!!

elliebelle said...
So here's a question - what has been one of the biggest struggles with raising teenagers? And what did you find was most helpful in dealing with the situation and helping your child through it, while keeping your relationship in tact. Sorry, that is 2 questions and they are kind of deep, but since my son is 10 and I am starting to hit the early teen years I am looking to those who have walked this path before me. :)

I think that the biggest problem with most parents and teens is communication.  You want to keep the lines as open as possible, which is difficult when teenagers prefer to keep them as closed as possible.  So it's good that you're asking now, when he's 10.  Talk to him.  All of the time.  Talk a lot now so that he'll continue to talk when he's in his teens.  Granted, he might not talk as much, but if you communicate well now, the odds are better that you'll communicate when he's a teen.  Answer his questions as truthfully as you can now, so that he'll still be comfortable asking them later.  Let him know that you're OK with questions; that you're fine with talking with him (not "to" him) about whatever he wants to talk about.  
And use humor as much as possible.  Talk to him about your teenage years and your struggles.  Tell him about some embarrassing moments .... so that he knows you're being honest and vulnerable.  And human.
I think that's the best piece of advice I can give you .... for now.  If any other parents want to jump in on this one and give elliebelle some advice .... feel free!!!
Thanks!

Amanda in RI said...
Hi Janine--great pics.
Here's a question for you: I'm thinking of upgrading my cell phone. I have a little Samsung camera flip phone. Do you like your iPhone? Pros/cons? What made you choose it over a different phone?

Amanda,
I love my iPhone.  I chose it because I had AT&T and because I have a MacBook.  It was time to get a new phone and it just seemed like the best one to get at the time.  I plan on keeping it until I need to replace it ... and then will buy a new iPhone.
The only 2 cons that bug me is that I can't receive pictures via text messages (& really can't believe they haven't added that yet!!!) and that I can't take videos with it .... only still pictures.
But other than that .... I love it.  It's easy to use, syncs with my calendar and e-mail on my computer and is fun to use (for the music and movies I download onto it).  
I highly recommend it to everyone.  :)


susan said...
now my question: besides the aforementioned "Cat Circus", what was the funniest thing you saw/did in russia? (funny ha ha, and funny strange)...hoping to make you smile in remembering it/them.

Hi Susan .....
Well, the Mafia boat was pretty funny at the time.  Funny in a "ha-ha, life threatening" kind of way.  
I'll have to give this question some more thought .... and may have to ask D1 for her opinion on it, too.  
My mind is blank today after all of the waiting at the hospital.
And my eyes are fighting me as I type now .... they want to go to bed!




Mom said...
My question: How is J2 doing? I hope all is well with him and the family.

Hi Mom.  I heard from L tonight and she says that J2 is getting better every day and is in good spirits.  They are going on vacation in a couple of weeks so they're looking forward to that, as well as a wonderful visit from me!!  :)
Thanks for asking!


Karen said...
I'd like to know a bit about your son's military school experience. How has he changed? Would you have done it sooner, knowing what you know now? Was it very expensive, is it possible for the average working family to pay for this? What did you look for in choosing one, location?, sports?, academics? success rate?
Thanks!

Hi Karen.
He has changed for the better.  So much.
He's confident, happier, friendlier, wants to succeed (he didn't give a rip before he went), and has plans for a better future.  He knows that he's smart enough to do well now and that he's more than capable.  He knows that he can do anything he puts his mind to.
What's more .... he knows that I mean what I say and will follow through with my plans.  
Yes, it's fairly expensive .... in the range of college tuition for a year, but there are many scholarship options, too.  
We chose this school because of its reputation.  I had heard of several boys who went there and heard nothing but good about the outcomes.  
And yes .... I wish we had done it much sooner.  I would do it again in a heartbeat .... and Son #2 knows that he will go back very quickly if he doesn't keep his grades .... and his attitude .... up.
Hope this helps.  :)

OK ... it's now 11:54 p.m. and I can't keep my eyes open.
Hopefully each one of the questions got answered .... in some fashion.

Later, Peeps.
:)

3 comments:

Karen said...

Thank you for answering my question!

Wendie said...

Wait. You were in Moscow and didn't drink vodka? You're, like...a hero.

susan said...

wait...your tweet said your blood pressure was way too high??? aren't you the queen of the low blood pressure? what's up?