Well, Happy Wednesday, my Peeps.What a difference a Circle makes.
I haven't seen these women in weeks .... and I cannot believe how much I missed being with them and how much I needed to see them.
We met tonight and I really needed it. Very much.
It just amazes me how we all "get" each other and don't even have to finish a sentence. Everything is understood ... even without words. Unfortunately. But also, fortunately.
I laughed a lot tonight. I cried a little.
And then I laughed some more.
This was a much-needed medicine for me .... especially this week.
And, before I begin answering the Wednesday questions .... I want to give a huge shout-out to Teresa in Las Vegas!!! HI TERESA!!! Roberta told me that you two had "met" and that you'll be at the conference. I look forward to meeting you! :)
OK .... on with the questions:
Nat asks:
My question this Wednesday is:
Did Jim ever ride in the MS 150 to Austin?
Did Jim ever ride in the MS 150 to Austin?
Hi Nat ....
Yes he did. He had ridden in it twice and was training to do it the third time when he died. He loved it. He got into biking in a huge way a few years before he died. HUGE.
He loved the MS 150. And to everyone who doesn't know what that is, it's an annual bike ride from Houston to Austin (over 150 miles and two days) that supports Multiple Sclerosis. It's a very big ride here and thousands enter it .... even more are turned away.
He loved it.
Tamara asks:
I'm so sorry that you are in so much pain...physically and emotionally. My question is, "What, if anything, makes you smile lately?"
Tamara asks:
I'm so sorry that you are in so much pain...physically and emotionally. My question is, "What, if anything, makes you smile lately?"
Tamara .... ahhhhhh, good question.
Well, one thing that made me smile today was watching Son #2 play in the band at VBS today. He loves doing it and the kids love him.
THAT made me smile.
And ... time with my friends make me smile.
(You make me smile, my friend.)
I had an e-mail from someone who asked what medication I was using as an anti-depressant.
Since I have not hidden this fact from all of you, I decided to answer it here, as well as in the e-mail.
My doctor put me on Lexapro the very first time she put me on meds. I'm still on it.
She upped the dose after about 6 months, when I noticed I was not doing as well.
I'm still on that dose.
Some days (like this week) I wonder if it's time to look into something else, but I'm waiting on that to see if this wave will pass on its own.
So far, thankfully, the Lexapro has worked very well.
Ann asked what my favorite Saturday morning cartoon was, and how I made it for over a week with no power in Hurricane Ike (they lost power this week from a twister):
First of all .... it was TWO LONG WEEKS!!! And I'm not sure how we did it. It wasn't much fun, after the first couple of days. But ... we did it. You do what you have to do.
As for the cartoon ...... well, I liked "H.R. PuffnStuff", "Land of the Lost" (cuz it was hilarious), ........ can't think of any others at the moment. Saturday mornings are not what they once were, that's for sure. There are so many cartoons on 24/7 and children's channels that Saturday morning isn't the special day that it was to us. sigh .....
Shorty Mom asks:
My question is how did you handle "But it's not fair!" like when one gets to go somewhere and the others don't?
Shorty Mom --- great question!!
And I'd love to say, "I'm sorry .... what? My darling children never presented this predicament to me." ..... but I'm laughing so hard at the thought of that that it's difficult to type. Give me a moment .......
OK ..... I'm composed now. Here's how I handled that irritating statement:
"You're right. It's not fair. But that's the way it is. Sorry."
The motto in our house was always this (and you could still ask my children this to this day and they'd say it): ........ "You get what you get."
I never went along with the "I want the red cup!", "I want the blue plate!", "He got a bigger piece than I did!" ....... if I heard that my response was always, "What's our motto?" and all 6 would chime in together ..... "You get what you get."
When you have a lot of children you don't have time to make sure everyone gets exactly what they want. Nor do you have time to make sure that everything is exactly fair. It's not and that's life. So the sooner they know that and learn how to deal with it, the better.
The older children get to do things because they're older ... and for no other reason than that.
Another child gets to go somewhere because she/he was invited ... the others were not. It's as simple as that. Fair? Maybe not .... but that's the way it is. The earlier they learn to deal with that, the easier it will be for them.
And now, of course, my children know better than most ..... that life is certainly .... not fair.
W asks:
Is it too late in the day for a question? Did you ever have a day where you fantasized about crating up all your children and putting them on any international cargo barge that would accept them?
W --- nope, not too late.
Did I ever fantasize about packing my children off to some far-off land?????? No way!!!!
Ummmmmm .... I probably fantasized more about packing MYSELF off to some far-off land!
Of course I thought about it!!! We ALL think about it .... we just don't ALL admit to thinking about it! Don't get me going on that ........
There have been many times over the years when I had to send the children away from me, rapidly, because Mommy needed a time-out, before somebody met with a very unfortunate accident. I would either lock myself in my room, in time-out, or tell them to leave the room very quickly, before I lost all control. It didn't take long for all of them to understand that I was not kidding. At all.
So yes ...... we all dream of being alone in our home ..... or alone on a deserted island ..... childless for a day .... or a month.
Too bad that when we do get those breaks ..... we start missing them after about an hour or so.
Sigh ..... what a waste.
:)
OK, Peeps ... that's all of the questions for this week. I'm glad you're still asking them .... I wondered if it was time to give up "Ask Me Wednesday". I think I'll keep it .... I enjoy reading your questions ..... and besides ..... it's a very easy day for me to post!
Have a good evening ..... and hopefully we'll all keep swimming!
:)
8 comments:
I know just what you mean about wanting a break & then not enjoying it because you miss your little one. I'm a SAHM of my 18-month old son, and I take him to the camp office with me when I work, too, so we're always together. A few weeks ago I went to a baby shower & baby stayed with Hubby & I enjoyed my alone time for about 15 minutes...and halfway there I found myself looking in the child-view mirror & was sad when I realized he wasn't there. :( I have to leave him with Daddy again this morning to go to the dentist (not a fun reason)! :(
Janine:
You are blessed to have your Circle. How I wish I had one -- my friends are dear but they CAN'T get what I am feeling no matter how they try and I am sure they get tired of it, so I stay quiet. It can get lonesome at times. I am glad you have been given a renewed spirit.
Blessings,
Beth in NC
I loved this post! You sounded so must rested and "happy" I'm SO greatful for your "circle" I wish I could give each and every one a big hug. So to all of the circle ladies out there reading your blog...{{{{{{HUG}}}}}} Concider yourselves hugged! And thank you for making my sister feel somewhat better. You are all such awsome women and I don't even know you. Thank you again. I love you Janine. TONS!!!!
the rest of the motto is "you get what you get and you don't throw a fit." in our house, however, it's only used by one child in a kind of "na ne na ne na" voice...in other words, i got it but you don't so...
we still have a ways to go on the "fair: issue. will be working on it big time this summer as one or the other gets to go someplace (big) alone. will see how it goes.
God bless you, and your circle.
I think we're going to have to adopt that motto, especially after Brady pitched a fit last night because Belle set the table and didn't give him the blue plate. Thanks for the laugh and the tip!
On the fairness question...
When I would whine, "But, it's not fai-ai-ai-ai-air!" my mom's standard response was: I know. It's also not fair that children in Africa have no homes, clothes, toys or peanut butter sandwiches for lunch. Would you like to trade places or would you like to eat your green beans?
Here's an ask me wednesday question on a thursday...i may be able to wait a week for the answer, but maybe not: did you ever wash anyone's mouth out with soap? what was the infraction? what's the recipe? (never personally experienced it...bar soap, liquid soap, detergent, how much, etc.) We're heading down that path, and i need to be armed. thanks, susan
Janine,
This posting made me think. It's not fair. What made me chuckle was that, it is not our kids that say that, but me!! Our four boys, my step-sons are the most wonderful boys. When I met them, the youngest twins were 7, and the other two were 10 and 13. In the six years that we have been together, I have NEVER heard them say "that's not fair". There are and have been MANY times when one of them receives something and not being fair is never mentioned by the others. It amazes me. Seriously, this is so true. When I first noticed this, it was because I had expected to have a, you get what you get defense, but one was never needed. Our boys have NEVER said, "you are not our mom", when given a consequence by me either. They are truely so loved by me and have made my life so much easier. We all know just how hard it can be in a step-family. I have the best. SO, it isn't our kids that say "it's not fair", it's me! IT'S NOT FAIR that their father is not here to watch them grow and that I am, IT'S NOT FAIR, that he will not be able to take the credit for their good behavior and continue to raise them, IT'S NOT FAIR, IT'S NOT FAIR, IT'S NOT FAIR. Hugs to you, Lorry
Post a Comment