Sunday, June 28, 2009

Do You Ever Want to Run Away?

Stupid question .... I know.
If you're a mother ..... you've felt that urge many, many times.

If you're a widow .... I can only imagine how many times you've felt it.
I seem to be feeling it a lot lately.

As I have written here before .... too many times to count, God has blessed me with the most amazing friends and family.
I love each of them and they all bring something different into my life.

But lately ..... I feel as if I am severely disappointing many of them.
They all want to help me.  They all want me to feel better.  They all want me to be happy and full of life.
And I have no idea how to make that happen.  The only thing I do know is this:  I can NOT MAKE it happen.
And neither can they.

Yes, it has been well over a year now.
But so what?
The waves are still out there .... still waiting to catch me unaware.  
Yes, they are slowly getting fewer and farther between ..... but sometimes the progress is too slow to see.

And when I have hectic weeks like the past two, where I feel as if I am running from one doctor's appointment to the next, not able to even catch my breath ..... I have no idea how to "let" anyone help me.
All I can do is ask for prayer, which I've consistently done.

If you remember the "What Not to Say" list ..... then you may recall that I said you should never offer a grieving person these words ..... "What can I do?"  or "What do you need?" because they have no idea.
Well, I'm a year and a half out and there are still many days when I STILL have no idea what it is I need.
I know that this hurts my friends, I know that they would like some specific answers from me, but I have none to give.
And knowing that I am disappointing them hurts me more than I can say.  
I don't know how to tell them that I love them, even when I'm not calling.  I love them, even when I'm not asking for things.  I love them ..... period.
It hurts that I feel I must put on a mask to make people happy .... so they won't be disappointed. Because in putting on that mask, I am not being seen, or heard.
And sometimes I feel that I am not wanted to be seen .... or heard.  I am wanted to feel better.

God has put different people in my life for different purposes.  I am loved in so many ways.  But I cannot seem to make everyone feel "equally loved".  And so some people feel hurt.  I feel as if I'm being pulled in too many directions, when I barely have enough energy to go in one!
And if I am responsible for causing someone I love too much pain, I'd rather they step back from our friendship than keep hurting.  

I cannot say often enough ...... I am NOT the Janine who was here 18 months ago.  I will NEVER be the Janine who was here 18 months ago.  
And I am having to learn to deal with it ..... one day at a time.  
It is one of the many, many horrible things about being on this path.  We have to learn to live differently.  And so do our friends.  And sometimes, our friends have to decide if living with the new person is worth it.
It may not be.  
I certainly wouldn't blame anyone for bailing out on all of this pain.  It sucks.

All I can ask is ...... until you ever find yourself on this path with us (which I pray fervently that you never do) ..... please, please, please try to love a grieving person unconditionally .... for as long as they need.  
  
If you find that you cannot help yourself from expecting them to act a certain way, or say certain things, or be a certain person ...... please do all you can to NOT put that on them.  We are all just trying to breathe and take care of our children and ourselves. 

And if that gets too hard, or too painful, it's OK to step away.
Because we love you and don't want you to hurt anymore.


17 comments:

Anonymous said...

This must have been hard for you to write. Your words express loving truth and tender authenticity. Your love for those who have expectations of you, is a powerful thing. It seems that unconditional love should, by definition, be free from such expectations. Thanks for helping me understand the pain and the change, so that I can better connect with my friends who have lost a spouse. JB

Mom said...

Good morning my darling daughter.
Just so you know. . .I love you. . .unconditionally.

Anonymous said...

Love you just the way you are! mjd

Kirsten said...

I must concur with Anon.... this must have been hard to write. i applaud you for it. and i don't think this is something that magically gets better after a year and a half..or two..or even ten. this was supposed to be forever. you will always grieve for him, for what you won't have. but as time goes by, i think it will hurt a little less. don't push yourself. and don't feel guilty for not "healing" quick enough for everyone. you take your time. know that there are people who love and admire you for who you are, grief included. and remember, you must care for yourself above all, because it's tough be a good mom or friend when you aren't taking care of yourself.

kc bob said...

I wish that I could not relate to what you are writing.. things were very dark when my wife passed away 15 years ago. But as I recently told a friend.. you do not manage grief.. it manages you.. just do the beast you can to walk through it and not circle around it.. grief does have an end if we walk through it.. hope this didn't sound too preachy.. didn't mean it to.

Mary Lou said...

You are helping us to understand and I know you have taught me alot about widows and grieving. We all grieve in different way...and I think it must depend sometimes on the realtionship you had with the person that passed. You are truly helping those of us who have not yet walked in widowhood yet. God is using you and will continue to use you in our lives and the lives of those around you. May you find some peace today and may your physical pain diminish. blessings on your life and your day and your week. Hangeth thou in there...I learned thru another experience that "normal" changes for all of us on a regular basis and the longer I live I see it in my life on a consistent basis. But I do know who NEVER changes and is always the same and as long as He is our anchor the changes can't harm us, they can only serve to make us better.

Wendie Tobin said...

Oh, I know exactly how you feel. Some things just cannot be made better. Your life will be different, it is getting more manageable, but it's never going to be...yesterday. It just isn't.

I promise you this: Focusing on everyone around you and making sure that their feelings aren't hurt will only take the focus off of your process...the process you still need to go through. The only thing that matters is you and your kids.

To J's Kids: There is no more helpless feeling in the world as not being able to make things better for your mom. But you are SO loved and it's not your pain to fix. God takes care of that...you just need to be there and support your mom through it all. And she you. There will be a day that you'll all have peace again.

Janine said...

Kansas Bob -- not preachy--- at all. Thank you and I'm sorry that you relate.

Janine said...

W --- for all you said, but especially to my children --- TANW.
Thank you.
Very much.

Anonymous said...

Dear Janine,
I'm glad that YOU don't put any pressure on yourself regarding how fast you "go through" the grieving process. It must be very frustrating to feel that pressure or expectation from someone else.

In my own experience, grieving for my brother and mother, I have seen how easily people discount the effects of grief on yourself and your family. You feel like you are banging your head against a wall or being a whiner. Especially when they can see no change in your day-to-day. There is a BIG change inside.

I would hope for someone who has lost a spouse and whose life has clearly been turned upside down and inside out that there would be greater understanding and patience and acceptance. Do you think it is a problem with empathy or perhaps fear. Needing you to be the old you for their own reassurance?

I don't know if all that made much sense, but those are my thoughts.

Love you,
Ann

Debbie G. said...

Right there with you. Wish we both weren't here, but we are. Got "should" on a lot by friends this week - friends who do love me and don't want me to hurt anymore either. I keep trying to have grace with them - and I hope they remember to have grace with me.

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Anonymous said...

Get thiS is Wendee. I've thought about you lots lately even if I don't visit your blog (or you) as much. Just know I'm praying & care a lot! It was nice to see you smilE in church when I walked past :)

I really Should be A better friend & come visit. I still have a bottle of wine at the ready! I've been going thru my own private weirdness& yes I regularly wish to run away! Ill call soon! You're awedome & just don't be hard on yourself. Love you!

Anonymous said...

Janine:

Your post has hit home with me at so many different times during my journey of widowhood. May I e-mail you some time with my thoughts - would rather not post publicly.

Prayers for you continually.

Beth in NC

Carrie said...

Janine, once again, thank you for sharing so honestly what you're feeling & going through. My heart just hurts for you, with all you're already going through & added pressure from friends, too.

I think it is such a blessing, though, to read through your comments, and see all the people who have been changed/impacted/grown through your writing. Whether you realize it or not, you really do have a ministry through your blog, to so many of us.

Janine said...

Beth in NC..... You may e-mail me anytime.
jeggerstx@gmail.com
Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Oh Janine, I don't know that you will read this, I am a few days behind here, but I just had to comment. Somedays I just want to copy your postings and send them out. You say all that I want to and find the time to do so. We will NEVER be the same and I feel bad for you that you feel you need to put on a mask at times. I know that our friends want us to be better and some think that after a certain amount of time that we should be better, but the one thing that I have learned in this short six months since I lost My Johnny, is this... it's ALL about me! And of course our children. I don't mean for that to sound so harse, but if our friends haven't been through this, how do they know? I say it is about US because we are the ones going through this. If they truely are our friends, they will always be there for us and continue to do what we need to get on in this awful journey. I am blessed to have such a friend. It has been six months for me and if I called her today she would drop everything and be here, needing no mask from me. I am what I am and I am going through what I am going through. NO ONE can make this better. It is just a process we have to go through alone, as much as that sucks. So my dear friend, I am here for you in all that you are, whenever you need me to be and again, NO mask is needed. You are not riding these waves alone, I am right behind you and I will be right beside you if needed. Love and hugs to you, Lorry

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that i see www.blogger.com again
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guujTrBSg_w]natural makeup tutorial[/url]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z97F1ZHPS9Y]vampire makeup[/url]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRTryUWp0XM]everyday makeup tutorial[/url]