Very much.
If you don't count the night before.
That was the toughest time. For me.
He should have been there.
These "big events" are both sweet .... and difficult.
I never pictured doing them without him.
Never.
But it was good.
We celebrated.
We celebrated a couple of things this weekend.
Daughter #3 is officially graduated and EMPLOYED!! She is my first child to get a real job .... in the field that she studied at school.
She will be teaching deaf elementary school students.
And she will be fabulous.
She is also a great sister.
She threw a surprise birthday party for Daughter #2 on Friday night ..... and it was truly a surprise.

Yes, it might be a bit odd for a twin to throw a surprise birthday party for her twin, but there ya go. I think it helped with the surprise.
:)
Son #1 and I drove in Friday for the graduation and the party.
We drove back Saturday morning for another celebration.
C's oldest daughter had her senior high graduation party that afternoon/evening.
And Son #3 was going to the prom (yes, he's only a freshman but he's a cool freshman).
Today I went to my nephew's fiancé's bridal shower. I love her (and yes, I love him, too).
They will have an amazing life together.
So it's been a full weekend.
Very full.
But that seems to be what May has become.
Kind of ..... the new December.
School is over in a few weeks.
Daughter #1 is graduating in Boston the week after this one.
Then we have my nephew's wedding and the next day is my ambassadorship trip to Greece to do whatever I can to help them out of their economic slump.
I wonder if my credit card company will call me to see if there's a problem? Jim used to say that he could always tell where I was because of the smoke coming out of my over-used card.
He was oh-so-very-funny.
Or so he thought.
:)
Yes .... it will be a tough and challenging job, but I think I'm up for the task. I'm sure I'll put a lot of blood, sweat and tears into it.
I may even get "tennis/credit card elbow"!
I might not enjoy it, but when I put my mind to something .... it's very difficult to stop me.
I also hope to be a mentor for Daughter #1, so that she, in time, can also do whatever she can to help out other countries ..... or economies.
I wonder if there will be any VIPs at the port to greet me when I arrive?
I wonder if my Herculean attempt to boost the Greek economy will make the news?
I wonder if anyone from Greece has ever read my blog?
I wonder if I'll like ouzo? (GAG!!)
I wonder what kinds of things I should buy in Greece (and Turkey). Peeps???
I wonder if any of you Peeps think I've already had some today? (Nope)
:)
OK .... that's it for now.
Have a great Sunday, Peeps.
:)


6 comments:
I do not have children, so I can only imagine the bittersweet feelings you are dealing with, during these events. My sister (whose husband died 8 years ago, when she was 51) will have one of those moments (already has had high school and college graduations over those 8 years) in June. Her daughter will be married, and sis's sons will "give away" their sister. Oh, yeah -- lots of tears will be falling then. I am so glad that you are doing so well and are happy. {{HUGS}}
You have such amazing children. Your words about missing Jim were a tribute to the great parenting you two performed together. Thanks for your encouragent for T & C. BTW, a recent travel article indicates Greece will be very happy to see you and your credit cards.
AL
I've spent time living in Crete working at a resort.
A few tips:
Try retsina and sprite - order a bottle of each and mix to taste.
We didn't drink Ouzo, we drank Raki! (pronounced with the exclamation mark, at least when it was fresh from the still) A little.... is rather stimulating.
I really liked my cotton rugs, but you'll be paying in excess baggage if you bring back too many. I wish I bought the Cretan cooking cookbook too.
Check your allowance - what used to be 2 x 32kg bags, may now be 1 x 20 or 1 x 25 (including internal flights).
I would say enjoy the lamb (often written as "Lamp in the souce' (lamb in sauce). And the greek salad. And the kalamares. And the dolmades, and the yoghurt and honey....and the fish...just everything really. I love spanakopita too.
Basically, the food is good! Especially the lamp.
Cakes aren't quite such a specialty (no Texas sheet cake or brownies) but did I mention the yoghurt and honey...)
And one or two Greek Men are George-ous. (Spelling intentional)
My SIL just graduated college as a deaf interpreter - she works in a kindergarten classroom as an interpreter for a deaf student - how neat that your daughter works with deaf children, too! :)
where will d#3 be teaching?
RJ ... thanks so much for the helpful comments about Greece. Especially about the yogart!
Jessica ... thanks for the hugs. They're always welcome. :)
Susan ... she'll be teaching in Waco. She's pretty excited to be going back to her second home and her church.
Post a Comment