Monday, August 4, 2008

There's a storm brewing .....

.... and it's not in my house, for once!   Evidently there's a tropical storm/hurricane bearing down on us and it's supposed to stall over us.  Yee-haw.  So I decided to make my post before the electricity goes out, because that's a definite future event.  We lose our electricity if the dew is too heavy in the morning (OK, that may be a slight exaggeration ..... but only slight.).  And excuse me, but since when did we start naming storms with French names?   Edouard?  Give me a break!!!  Why can't they just say EDWARD?  I think someone at the storm center (or where ever they work) is getting a bit too uppity and high and mighty.  Sheesh.



             This is Jim at J's wedding, in 2005.  I love this picture.



     Well, I received a voice mail from a friend this morning telling me that I should probably put gas in my car buy water and flashlights.  It's a good thing I have friends.  I haven't read a paper or watched the news in a while.  I had no idea some French guy was barreling down on us.  Oh well.  I should probably take these things more seriously, but it's not in my nature.  I grew up in Oklahoma .... land of the million tornadoes (or some other such motto.  I don't think I paid close attention in Okla History).  Every time we'd get a tornado warning my dad would head down into the garage, with flashlights, water .... whatever.  Once we kids were old enough we'd just say, "See ya, Dad" and keep watching "The Brady Bunch".  Really.  I don't think I spent much time at all hiding out.  And the man grew up there so you'd think I'd heed his fear.  Maybe I did once or twice .......
nahhhhhhhhhhh.  Never.
  
     I got my voice mail message as I was walking off of the tennis court this morning.  The sun was (and still is) shining.  The sky was (and still is) blue.
  Then I went home, cleaned up and then went to lunch with other friends at a good friend's house.  Thank you V for hosting us.  It was nice.
     But just to make all of you storm-watchers more comfortable, I did stop and get gas and then went grocery shopping.  They still had water but nary a D battery in the store.  And I just heard that the gas station on the corner has run out of gas.  
It would seem that there are many people here who take these things very seriously.  My experience here has shown that people really get more worked up than is necessary.  Watch -- my house will be ripped away tomorrow as I'm trying to make a post.  And you'll all say, "See?!  She should've taken this more seriously!"  Oh well.


           This is Daughter #3 with her new baby, Miley (not to be confused with .... ok, you get it).  They both came for a short visit this weekend.  It's a good thing I'm having the house updated.  It's less likely that I'll have a huge conniption fit (what IS that anyway???) when dogs pee and poop all over the house.
She's a pretty good dog --- she's very gentle, but George hated her.  He stalked and stared at her wherever she went:
    

      Daughter #3 did not make it to Florida, but she was very happy with her audition and the man in charge of it loved her and told her that she was fabulous.  So, she's good with it.  Still wish I could've been there.


     This is my kitchen --- and the start of the island!!!  Oh, and my new cook top --- upside down.
And Son #1, getting in the pantry so that he can leave the doors open.  



     This is Rigby in the box that the stovetop came in.  The cats are kind of like children that way --- they like the boxes a lot more than the toys that come in them.  Well really, who can blame them.  I mean ..... a cooktop??  I think I'm the only one excited about that.  I wonder how long I can keep people from using it so that it stays shiny?  Cuz everyone knows I won't be using it!!
     


     OK, that's it.  I'm going to nail the shutters onto the house, fill the tub up with water and get out all of my candles and flashlights.
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

  I'm actually going to sit down with the new "People" I bought today and a Diet Coke and look at the pictures of Bradgelina's twins.  
If you don't hear from me in a while you'll know I'm floating or flying off somewhere.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please let us know when the "French" hurricane is over so we can stop worrying about all of you. ;)
Maybe they gave it a "French" name because it's a "wimpy" one. (tee hee)
XOXO
K in AK

Anonymous said...

If it makes you feel any better, I went to Sam's today to buy dorm stuff and didn't even buy bottled water and forgot to get gas too. I've never prepared for these hurricanes. So if the storm hits KW, I guess we'll have to find some prepared storm watcher to eat and drink with, they'll probably have a generator too!

Anonymous said...

Man... I hope the house doesn't get sucked up. That would be a bummer after all of the remodeling.

Love you!!

xoxoxoxoxo

Anonymous said...

Oh well. If it rains like crazy, just get on a plane and come here. It's going to be 90 degrees this week, so we'll be hanging out at the lake a lot!

Love you tons and tons and tons!

Lis

Anonymous said...

Good morning my darling daughter. Hey! You could come to Livingston, you know. That's what you're supposed to do. Danger in Houston.....go to where your mother is. One just follows the other, doesn't it?!? Love you bunches. Stay dry. Head for Livingsgton.

Anonymous said...

Yes J go to where your mother is...you never see her. And it's only going to be in the mid 80's here.:p I do recall dad making us go down to the garage at the house on Allegheny. He did make me afraid of the storms. I'm lucky now. I have a basement. No if I can only hear the sirens when they go off it will pay off! LOL Stay dry and I love and miss you tons!

jessica said...

From another transplant-to-Texas (Houston area) woman: I think they are using names from many sources for hurricanes now. A little 'net sleuthing found this:

The name lists have an international flavor because hurricanes affect other nations and are tracked by the public and weather services of many countries. Names for these lists are selected from library sources
and agreed upon at international meetings of the World Meteorological Organization.

Remember, we already had the sort of exotically-named Christobal, as well as good-ol' Arthur, Bertha and Dolly.

Hope you don't have to hunker down for this tropical storm!