Friday, January 23, 2009

More of what I need

Almost a year ago I wrote this post, about the things I/my children didn't want to hear. You know, the things people say after a loved one dies. It was pretty raw, and very honest. I ended the post with the things that we DID need to hear.

Here I am, one year later, and I'm still discovering things I need or don't need. I had a big revelation this week ..... and I've been pondering/struggling with whether to write about it or not. I didn't want this need to look "wrong" or to be seen as less than the innocent need that it is. I finally decided to write about it, because I think it's something worth knowing ..... for any woman in your life who's on this same path.
I must preface this revelation with what's behind it: I am lonely ..... and very much alone, most of the time.

Now, don't go getting all defensive and turn this into something about the quality of my friendships or my relationships with anyone. If you are one of my friends, please do not put this onto you. It's not about you. It's not about anything anyone has done or not done. Just listen: It is what it is.

And it's about Jim.

And it's about him not being here.

And that makes me lonely .... and very much alone.

I think the loneliness has been very strong these past couple of weeks because of all of the medical stuff going on.
Yes, I have friends who care about me deeply and who will be there for and with me (and have been).
But .....

.... they are not Jim.
And they can't be what Jim was/is to me and for me.

Jim was, most of the time, the rock in our family. My rock. God was/is the Rock .... Jim was the rock (again .... not always, because the man, contrary to popular belief, was human). But he was here for me .... no matter what. He was strong for me when I needed his strength and he was tender with me when I didn't.
He was here to share my irritation and frustration over losing a tennis match and he was here for me when to share my delight in getting cast in a play.
He was here to share my fears and worries about our children and he was here to share my never-ending love for them.
He was here to laugh with me and to enjoy my joy and happiness.
And he was here to hold me and hurt for me in my sorrows.

Bottom line: He was here.
And now he's not.

The man who spoiled me, supported me, held me, laughed with me, took care of the "house things", had the final say in our big decisions (or at least I let him believe that sometimes!), shared every single hope and dream for our children and our life, calmed me .....
the man who loved me beyond all reason .... is not here for me now.

And so I am the one who takes care of the "house things", makes the big decisions that I don't want to make, has the hopes and dreams and fears and worries for our children. I am the one who the girls ask, "What do I do about ____ not working in my car?", or "Can you give me the directions to get to _____?", or "What do I need to know about applying for _____, writing my resume, looking for an internship, ....... ". And I have no answer.

I am the one who the kids look to as the "head" of our family now, when before I think I was more of the "heart" of it.
I am the one making financial decisions that I really have no desire, or enough knowledge, to make.

I am the one left.

And so, a couple of days ago, when I felt so overwhelmed and angry and frustrated and scared and so very, very alone ...... I had a meltdown. I do not allow myself to have them often .... not often enough.
But that day I could not hold it back. The mask cracked and then gave way completely.
And fortunately for me ...... I happened to do it in the presence of a man whom I love very much and who I know loves me.
And he did exactly what I needed ......

He held me while I cried. And cried. And cried.

It was the first time I have been held in strong arms and cried in 13 months and 3 days.
To be exact.

It was in that moment that I realized how very much I missed that, longed for it ..... needed it.

And while I felt so much love and support and healing in those moments, I also felt so much sorrow and grief and pain that I don't have that available when I need it. And I felt an overwhelming grief for all of the women I know, and don't, who don't have that anymore.

It's one thing to cry with my girlfriends .... with the women who love me and hurt for me.

It's quite another to cry in the arms of a man.

So I guess my purpose in writing this is just to let you know .... to make you aware. I'm not sure what I want or expect you to do with it.

I certainly don't want people to start grabbing me and hugging me tightly to them and encouraging me to cry ..... especially when I'm having a good day, or playing tennis, or grocery shopping or in the middle of a phone call!

But just know ..... for the woman in your life who is grieving the loss of her husband (whether it's a death or a divorce) .... that she is lonely. No matter how she appears or what she says, or does not say. No matter how "in control" she is or what mask she wears.

And maybe ..... if you see me her looking a little overwhelmed or frustrated or teary .... you might want to offer a hug. And then hold on tightly and for more than a moment. Hold on long enough to let her know that your arms are there for her and she can let go ..... if she needs to.

Especially (though not only) if you are my her friend and you happen to be a man.



16 comments:

kdawnmartin said...

J, I love you so and I am greatful that he was able to be there for you. I think I know who he is and he is a great man. I really don't know what else to say except just becasue someone dies doesn't mean those feelings die with them and it makes me cry to know you are alone. I hate it. But I do love you so very much.

Wendie said...

I get that. People love you and want to be THAT for you. And they just cannot. He's irreplaceable, as he should be. He sounds like he was a hell of a man...

Luanne said...

Glad you posted this Janine. You are not alone in your feelings.

Strong, caring hugs are healing and when they come from the opposite sex sometimes they make us feel even better.
Kind of like a transference of strength somehow.

L.

Linds said...

Yes, Yes, Yes and Yes. Yes. I cannot tell you how much I feel just this way. Exactly. Totally. It is the touch especially. Leaning back and not having anyone there to rest against. To hold you. Maybe that is why I still have not cried. My family look to me to be the strong one. The head and the heart. I hold them.

Janine, I have thought about writing about this, but I can't just now. Just so people know, it is lonely. Very lonely. And sometimes, worst in a crowd.
I too, have noticed it especially as I have been having medical issues too. Everyone else seems to have their husband with them, someone to whom they are the world.The sadness hits you so suddenly. That makes it harder than ever, and my dear friends who go with me, could never totally understand if I spoke of it. And it is not just anyone. It is having someone of your own.
Thanks for writing this, however hard it may have been. Maybe one day I will too.

Unknown said...

I am so glad you had a man there to hold you and just let you cry. I know I'm in a different situation but I can say having gone though a very scary medical situation myself this week and being alone (though for different reason), I felt similar in many ways! I say in the hospital day in and out alone, while so many other people had people there in their rooms. I got so much love and support on facebook and phone calls but there was no one just to hold me and understand what I was going through and let me cry and hold me. When I got home, the house was a mess and I was alone. And of course my BF is offshore & it hit home how hard that kind of relationship is going to be. :( I don't want to make this comment all about me, but I alreday have so ... like you I don't want pity but you know it is a super challenging life being alone!! Trying to be strong, and normally strong, but seriously lonely too. It sucks. I would say stinks, but sucks is a better word! :) I love you Janine. You are awesome, and I'm praying for you.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful male friend, whoever he is. I am so happy he was there for you in your time of need. I'm sure he'll always be there for you. Janine, it is my belief that you have not only a boatload of loving friends but you have a cruiseship of loving and supporting friends. You are truly blessed in that regard. I send you the deepest and longest huge you can allow.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your inner most feelings...those of us who love you want to be there for you and sometimes we just have to be told what you need from us. And you are right when you speak of grieving due to death or divorce.
I appreciate your comments. Love you, Vicki

Anonymous said...

Janine - No one ever knows how great a hug is until you do not have any. I went through that period also. I just longed fro someone to hold me. I prya for you often.

Lisanne said...

Sis,
I totally get it...and you don't have to worry that we wont understand. As usual, I would give anything to take that pain and loneliness away from you. I'm glad that you have a friend who can be there for you. You are a beautiful, vibrant WOMAN...and we were created to be together with a man, so it's more than understandable that you are missing that. As well, we all know that you had a VERY, ummm...should I say, "healthy" physical relationship with Jim...and you must miss that SO much. It's okay....it really is. Don't you ever feel guilty about missing or needing that...and don't feel like you need to explain it to us. We get it.
...and we love you more than you can imagine.
I pray that other women who lose their husbands have family and friends to lean on as well.

Lis

Mary Lou said...

Thank you for being so brave to write and share your heart. If someone doesn't understand then I'm not too sure about them, they have the problem, not you. I have heard other freinds who were left behind say how lonely they were. The odd thing is my mother never told me that she was lonely after Daddy died. I'm sure she was, he was the love of her life, the center of her world. I suppose she leaned hard on Jesus. Praying for you and praying for a quick resolution to your health issues.

Anonymous said...

I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. During my bleak not-being-held time (several years within my marriage and then 5 after) I used to dream of it. It is a very special feeling. I ache for you and I'm so grateful for your friend. Powerful.

Anonymous said...

I was directed to your blog from Vanessa's. I lost my dad on Sept 22, the day after I returned from a week long vacation in Hawaii. He had a heart attack. (he didn't have any prior symtoms) My parents 38th anniversary would've been in Dec. (together for 42 years)
When I was reading the post of what we don't want to hear during this difficult time-I couldn't have said it any better. I have read most of your blog and really can relate to some of the things you have shared in your posts. I will continue to pray for you.

Lindsey T.

Michelle said...

Janine,
thank you, thank you, thank you for posting this..You have taken the thoughts, the feelings and everything that a widow feels and put it into words..It's like you were in my mind, and I'm sure many others would agree...Loneliness stinks..then again everything that goes along with being a widow stinks to put it mildly..thanks for putting it out there for others to understand what's going on with us...

Anonymous said...

All I know is that IF I could be a man for just a little while, I would hold you, and hold you, and hold you!!!!! I KNOW that I lean on Sandy as my rock - and would be lost in more ways that I can even imagine - and would feel all that you feel! I love you!
Malinn

Anonymous said...

i know EZACKLY what you are talking about and relate 100%! :) good on you for blogging it...i think i might link over here...if you don't mind!

Anonymous said...

I've not been able to stop crying since I read this post. I'm grieving your loss and your lonliness. My heart aches for you, because I feel, very deeply the pain of being so alone. I hate that you have to experience that pain. The longing for someone to put their arms around you and reassure you everything will be okay and that they will take care of you. Or someone to just hold you, to love you and hold you when you need to be held. It can be a really sad and lonely exsistance when you don't have that. I have longed to be held tightly and loved for so many years, I stuff the feelings away and 'put on the mask' most of the time. But your post opened the floodgates and brought all those feelings to the surface. I probably needed a good cry, it doesnt happen that often. Thank you for your honesty and your writing. You have such a way with words, I really do hope you write a book one day. Much love to you.