Yes, I know ..... what a surprise! No?
Of course it's a struggle with so many things going on, or not going on. The medical crap. The day-to-day crap of living without Jim, Son #3 is sick .... he may have the flu ...... I could go on and on, but don't worry, I won't.
There are all of those day-t0-day things, but the thing that I'm struggling with at this very moment ...... is this blog.
I'll try to explain, although I don't seem to explain things well enough for most people to understand any more.
I'm not sure where the need to write came from, but I know when it started ..... when Jim died.
I've never thought of myself as a "writer" .... I still don't. But this I know .... there are days when my feelings and thoughts build up inside of me .... and build and build until I literally feel as if I'm going to explode if I don't write them down. It is very physical, as well as emotional. I can't stop ..... because if I do ..... then there's no release and I won't be able to handle it anymore.
And so I write. Some posts are easier than others. The "More of What I Need" post was one of the most difficult things I've ever written. It took 2-3 hours of writing, crying, editing, crying, editing, crying, writing, etc. to get it all down. And it took so much out of me that I literally had no energy left the rest of the day. But I had to get it outside of me.
It's not the writing that I struggle with .... it's the publishing of the writing.
I am SO sick of this life, these feelings, the label, the masks, the pretending, the not-being-heard, the not-being-able-to-say-what-I'm feeling so that others will feel better ..... of everything.
I've never been able to verbally put accurate words to what I feel. It was always easier to write them down, but it was only necessary a few times in my life. Now it is life-saving.
And now ..... I struggle with continuing to be honest here.
I'm thinking about creating a private blog ..... that only other women in this Circle will see. Because they "get it" and I don't have to worry about making them feel sad, or worried, or helpless, or that they are somehow failing me.
I worry about that now .... with this blog.
I worry about what my friends and family think about each post. I worry that they'll start worrying more. I worry that they will feel as if they are failing me. I worry about their feelings.
I worry way-too-freaking-much and it's driving me insane.
I know that this is difficult for everyone. I know that no one got "the handbook" on how to be a friend, or family member, to a grieving widow. I know that no one knows what to do or what to say or what to write.
I. GET. IT.
What I wish everyone knew is this: I don't expect anything out of anyone.
Grief is way too consuming to allow room for expectations.
What I wish everyone knew is this: I don't want anyone to feel guilty or helpless or inadequate.
That puts so much guilt and worry on me that I feel as if I'm drowning.
What I wish everyone knew is this: I feel what I feel.
I can't explain it and it will never make sense to you anyway, and it only makes me feel frustrated and guilty when I'm asked to explain, so please don't ask that of me.
What I wish everyone knew is this: this does not get any easier after the freaking one-year mark. Not by a long shot.
What I wish everyone knew is this: I want to feel happy; I want to move forward; I want to stop being seen as "Jim's widow"; I want to feel joy again; I want to just ...... live again.
I want to be happy again.
But I can't make that happen .... and neither can anyone else. It will happen when it happens.
What I wish everyone knew is this: I am so grateful to have so many loving and caring people in my life. I know that I am blessed beyond measure in this .... and I'm thankful.
What I wish everyone knew is this: When I write about my feelings and my grief and my gut-wrenching sadness ..... that's exactly what it is: mine.
There's nothing anyone can do about it, there's no blame anyone can take for it, there is nothing that will change it.
I am not writing to change it ---- I am writing to express it.
That's all.
It's that simple ..... I feel.
I feel what I feel and I need to express those feelings in writing.
If I don't ..... I will certainly die.
I need to know that I can express those feelings without worrying about everyone else.
And ..... I need to tell you that the reason that I publish this ..... is so that you will know, and be more aware, and learn ...... to just read/listen.
To not put yourself into this. To just let it be an expression of what I feel ..... because I am grieving. Not because of anything, or anyone, else.
But because, and only because, Jim is dead.
So just learn to ...... be still and listen .... and in doing so, learn .....
..... because life seems to be all about continuing to learn.
And there's another reason that I write ..... and publish this publicly .....
I write because there are way too many women in this Circle who cannot.
So maybe in learning from my feelings .... someone will understand theirs.
23 comments:
You are an amazing woman J.E.! And I love you.
I am not a member of the Circle, but we never know when that time might come. I fear it.
Your writings have helped me understand my fears and God is using you. Your love for your Jim, your daily struggles, your candor have become a part of my understanding of what God is teaching me.
I pray for you daily. I pray that your days will be calmer, less like a "roller coaster". And I know they will.
Please continue to share yourself, you have become a part of my journey.
J,
All I really want to say is you are putting way too much pressure on yourself. You need to be who you are, feel what you feel and write what you have to write and not worry about what others are thinking about it. No one else can get it unless they have walked in your shoes. I have and you need to cut yourself alot of slack right now. And no a year is not long enough. People will tell you it is but it is not. Please know that you are helping so many women out there that can not put these feelings into words. Thanks for that. L.
When I read about the compulsion to get it all down I thought - You are a writer!! That's definitely a mark! :) I can't relate to the grief specifically (though I relate to much of what you write) but I do relate to the writing part and being able to express feelings better in writing. I agree with L that you should not put pressure on yourself, and if others want to be there "better" or react certain ways to what you write or say, oh well. It's sort of like being a leaf floating in the stream, you just have to go by rocks and sticks and swirls in the current and keep floating on down. Write, feel, let it out, listen to what people say even if they say something that makes you feel guilty or like maybe you need to be private about your feelings but don't (well you can, but you don't have to!). We are all learning from you in so many ways. I don't know if that made any sense at all but it's what came to mind. :)
Aha, I *knew* I was not the only one feeling guilty about stuff. I can only speak for myself, but I think you cannot make yourself what you are not, cannot make yourself *feel* what you don't and finally cannot say what you think everyone needs/wants to hear. Just be you. I think that's a pretty terrfic thing in and of itself. Love you.
Rebecca
so many things you write, i could just sign my name to! things i couldn't put into words, you do for me. i know that my blog does the same for others and, like you, it's a good part of why i keep it public: i know it helps others as well as it helps me in writing. i'm so glad i discovered your blog. i was reading some of it yesterday to one of my most understanding friends. she hasn't walked the path--she's just willing to do whatever it takes to make it easier for me.
anyway, whatever you choose, please let me in. :) i have thought so many times of going private, too...to avoid the lashback that comes at times...but then, all the good people would miss out on being blessed for the sake of the meddlesome ones. it's a pain in the butt, isn't it? :P
Good evening my darling daughter. I just want to tell you how proud of you I am. I know that you are helping more people than you will ever know. I also know that you need to be more selfish and concentrate on YOU. . .what YOU need to get through the day and NOT worry about how someone (ANYONE) is taking it. That's not your problem. You have more than your share of problems, so PLEASE, do not take on anyone elses. I love you dearly.
Even Lord Byron gets it-
“If I don't write to empty my mind, I go mad.”
Thats why so many of us in this circle of hell called widowhood write-to keep some form of sanity.
Write until you no longer feel the need. I always tell my kids that I am leaving my emotions on the page so as not to store them inside my heart.
They know when they read something particularly difficult, that I am really OK-and that I am OK because I have written it out of me.
Keep writing.
Dear J,
I guess I fall into the "I don't know what to say" group sometimes and so I am quiet. I can't say I always
like what I read on your blog - not because it makes me uncomfortable- simply because I wish Jim were still here and that you and the kids were not having to face day-to-day or extraordinary challenges alone.
I think too that you are putting too much pressure on yourself. I can easily understand that grieving for a spouse is unpredictable and uncontrollable. A year cannot cover the firsts you expected to share with Jim and a year couldn't be enough time to get used to not having him there to share even life's most mundane moments.
I think all our lives we try to measure progress - why else would we record when baby took her first step, got her first tooth, potty-trained, lost her first tooth? The when isn't really important at all!
Do you guys get that obnoxious truck commercial where one of the cowboys from "Blazing Saddles" says, "We don't care how ya git here folks, just git here!" I don't know if there is a "here" to "git to" but I do know that it is wrong of anyone not on the same path as you - or even on it - to put their own expectations of how fast or slow you should travel down that path. You need to set you own pace - run ahead when you can - backtrack when you need too.
Love you,
A
A --
I've missed you. I'm glad to know that you're still out there.
I agree with your mother. And as they say Mother's know best.
You need to be selfish. Be all about YOU. For as long as you need to be.
I also agree you are helping more people than you will ever know. And not just those in "the circle"
I am not in "the circle" and pray it is a long time until I have to, as I am a young newlywed of only 90 days. I have never met you, and found your randomly on a comment of another blog, I had found through a prayer request of another bloger!! But I talk about your blog to my new husband often. I think of you and what you have writen when I am too quick to judge his cleaning skills or lack of trash can lining. (if you take the trash out, put a new liner in!!) I try often to cherish the moments we have and to quickly forgive.
I look forward to my morning coffee and reading your newest post. I sent your colonoscopy post to my mother and friends who all had a fun time laughing.
I would write and write and let it all out. People have such a misconception of the grieving process and the "year mark" and I challenge you to reeducate us all on what it really feels like/means to grieve.
I know I will always approach a widow or even just someone grieving much differently from here on.
Thinking of you today. :)
I just caught up with the blog since Thursday and all I can really offer you is my love and my heart aching for you.
I love you.
Please, please don't worry about the ones who don't get it. You are truly helping so many by your honesty in expressing exactly what you are feeling. I just want to know how to pray for you and He usually tells me after or as I read a post. If you need to tell me anything specific, feel free to email me. I'm more than sure that you have some great prayer partners. Just wanted you to know that I am available.
I have been thinking about doing just that...having a separate blog which my children and family and friends do not know about, because I need to write, or to be heard too, when I want to talk about the things they will not understand.
I get what you mean. I too am surrounded by lovely people who worry about me and want to help, and any sign of me creaking a little has them all rushing to help, and it is not what I want or need, much though I love them. I just have things I need to say, and they are all just mine at the moment. I will do it. I will let you and a few people know where it will be.
Please don't go private, I enjoy reading your post. Keep on writting cuz you are a great writter.
J,
I'm here. When I'm being quiet i'm just listening and thinking.
Love,
A
Linds --
Thank you!!!!!!!!!
I look forward to meeting you there!
I stumbled across your blog one night just over a year ago and it was the writing that stopped me. Your post that day was one sentence and it said it all and I've been coming back ever since. I don't comment often, because I'm not a member of the club and after I think about what I want to say it's already been said or doesn't make sense. What others think is not important. What helps you get through the hour, day, week is and you should be able to write that on your blog because that's exactly what it is. "Your" blog for you to write what "you" want to write. My thoughts are with you!
You really describe exactly how I feel and why I have to write. Except I've ALWAYS felt these intense feelings and had no way to express them.
I feel completely self-conscious every single time I click the Publish button.
I'm hoping you don't go to writing a separate blog, for many of the reasons that others have said--but mostly because I feel that it would be you, putting on another mask...after you so poignantly spoke of getting rid of it. besides, as others have said, you have no idea how many lives you are touching, both inside and outside the circle. no, those of us on the outside will never understand, but we cannot even hope to empathize if we don't know what you so vividly share with us.
Janine, sorry to be adding my two-cents' worth so late, but have not kept up on my blog-reading lately.
I agree with SJW aabout why so many of us who ARE in this circle of hell do write. And you are both younger than me, and it ain't any easier when you have a few more years on yourself.
The more I write, the more I share. I am on the cusp of sharing some of the darker parts of my life and right now deciding whether to go ahead with that or not. Obviously, sooner or later, you will probably find out what I am teasing about here. And believe me, it is unfortunately quite dark.
So.... like the others have said, write, sister, write. We all back you.
Prayers and hugs to you.
I think you definitely hit on it in your last sentence- you are an encouragement to others who have gone through what you are, as you write what they may be feeling & help those of us who have not gone through our Great Sadness yet, to understand what others are feeling.
Hello,
My name is Melissa and while I'm not in the Circle myself, I experienced it watching my Mom after my Dad passed away 17 years ago when I was 18. I don't even remember how I stumbled onto your blog but I have been blessed to pray for you, pray for your family, and YOU have helped me understand (as much as I can) what you are going through each day. What to say, what not to say, how just to BE there as a friend. I just want you to know that I have been blessed by you. You and your kids are in my prayers daily.
Post a Comment