..... that is the question.
Actually, no it isn't ..... I just couldn't come up with a better title at the moment.
Here's what I know ---
it's definitely a verb.
Yes, indeed.
And a very active one at that.
And it strikes more people than I ever realized.
I think that's because we are taught, in this culture, to not look at grief.
We turn away from it.
Maybe if we look at it too long we'll "catch it".
And so we don't.
Until .....
we do.
And when we finally SEE grief ..... our eyes are opened.
Then we really SEE it. And see that it's everywhere.
Grief is a loss. Not always of the same people or things, but it's still a loss.
There are many, many people out there who have lost.
We may not be experiencing the same loss, but we are experiencing the worst thing about grief.
The very worst thing:
The death of a dream.
Whether the loss is a job, a child, a spouse, a place called home, a poor choice, a bad decision, a marriage, a relationship, a family member, a friend .........
no matter what ......
it is the death of a dream.
And that, my friends, is a very, very difficult thing to lose.
Or to recover from.
What else is grief/grieving?
Sneaky.
Hard.
Strong.
Unrelenting.
Exhausting.
Frustrating.
All-encompassing.
Sometimes deadly.
Suffocating.
Overwhelming.
Selfish.
Blinding.
Inconsistent in its consistency.
Horrific.
Empowering.
Strengthening.
Freeing.
Relationship growing.
Eye opening.
Bonding.
Faith strengthening.
Is it all of that and more.
You do not choose it .... it chooses you.
You can't control it's strength and power.
And I think that it never completely lets go.
But .....
the last 7 words on that list are not things that grief pours over and into you.
Unless you CHOOSE them.
Sometime.
In the distance.
But you can choose.
Or ....
not.
This has been a quiet day. Not an unpleasant day, but a blue one. Son #1 is on his way back to school and I miss him very much.
The day was blue before he left.
I was looking at pictures of the puppies (to post for the previous entry) and wondering why I was feeling blue ...... why the tears are near the surface again.
And then I glanced down at the date on my calendar.
And thought, "There ya go."
I hadn't thought of it before this afternoon.
So even though I feel like crying for "no reason at all" ......
I didn't realize it was coming.
And I think that's something.
I wanted to share this song with you because it has spoken to me several times over the past few weeks.
I couldn't decide whether to just post the song or the video.
I want you to hear the words and I didn't want the video to get in the way because it's not my situation.
But then I thought ...... "Well, it kinda is."
So here you go.
7 comments:
I love you Sis! So. So. Much!!!
ok- I'm gonna try to type through my ugly cry...
Those three dots were a 5 minute pause.
Thanks for posting this song. I've heard it several times before but tonight it stings. I had this same ugly cry just 24 hours ago at church.
This whole week I've wanted to throw my hands up and say "NEVER MIND!!!" to my call from God. It seems too hard...and I get lost in the details...and I let doubt and fear set in...which means I am allowing Satan in. Y-U-C-K.
I need to make right what's been wrong in my life...and I too need to surrender to whatever He is doing inside of me.
And somewhere in the chaos has GOT to be peace.
(Didn't mean to make this about me...just wanted to share how this has touched me. And I pray for you as well for what it means to you.)
Let's surrender.
So powerful, what you wrote. And especially on the day that you posted this one. The YouTube video was wonderful - the video did NOT distract me from the lyrics. So fitting.
You always inspire me to write from the gut - back in high school (SO many years ago for me), they always told us to write about what we knew best - which really IS ourselves, isn't it?
All the best to you today, J.
This was truly an inspiring post. You write so well. I have never experienced as deep a grief as you have. My son has experienced one and it took him a very long time to get over it, if he's over it today. I do know that God saw him through and he gives God the credit. You have taught us all so much. Thank you for your willingness to share your heart and your pain. May you have a good day today and things go smoothly when you go to the doctor this week.
I love that song and that band. There is something in the song about asking God what he wants from us. It is the exact opposite of telling him what I want from him today...which is my norm. I get so focused on my hurts and disappointments in life instead of saying "God, use me today and show me how to show YOU to those around me."
Thanks for sharing.
I love your words about choice--I believe much of this journey of grief is a choice. A choice to allow God to do His word through a heartbreak. Do I believe Don died to strengthen my faith? ABSOLUTELY NOT. But, my faith has grown and transformed. If it hadn't--that would have been simply another tragedy. This was a beautiful post.
Marsha
Also wanted to say how much I related to the "Death of the dream" statement. I describe my divorce that way many times, and I definitely went through grief after its demise. It was like a lead blanket lying over me for months... and I thank the Lord that is long gone! The puppies are so cute. I saw Marley and Me today with the kids. Have you seen it? So cute!
Post a Comment