Thursday, September 24, 2009

Just Plain Ol' Thursday

Hi, Peeps.
Sorry for the confusion.
No, I didn't change "Ask Me Wednesday" to "Ask Me Thursday". I did it last week because I didn't have time on Wednesday (just as I've done it on a few other weeks), but my plan is to keep it on Wednesdays when possible.

And because it was unclear, I will answer the questions that came after I posted last night.
And cuz I'm just that nice.
;)



Moni asks:
Ask me Wednesday I thought changed to ask me Thursday . . .are we back to Wednesday or was I just dreaming? Here is my Ask Me Wednesday/Thursday Question (will understand if you hold it until next week) . . . My daughter who has not lived at home for 6 years, she has her own house in Los Angeles . . . ALOT of her stuff that she refused to get rid of (pack rat) is still at my house . . . most in the Texas Basement all boxed up that I would dearly love to reclaim my Texas Basement. I am estimating it will be close to $1,000 to ship it to her . . . I just want it out of my house . . . she has school papers back from elementary school she cannot part with. Basically do I spend my money to ship all of her what I think junk to her? There is no way she will ever package it up and move it herself. Moni B

Hi Moni ----
I would say if you want it out of your house bad enough .... and you're not willing to suffer the wrath that might (or might not) occur if you throw stuff out .... then I'd bite the bullet and send it. I'm with you .... it's her stuff and you need your space. It's time. Heck, it's past time.
I might ask her to pay half (knowing that you probably won't ever see the money), but I'd definitely get rid of it. I think you're much nicer than I am, however, because I'd start tossing most of it into a garbage bag.
You're a good mom. :)


Anonymous kind of asked a question, though it had more to do with my question than the fact that it was Wednesday:
Hi Janine-
I've been reading your blog for a few months now. I found it through Vanessa's blog who I found through another blog, etc, etc. Anyway, have you ever read anything by Ted Dekker? He's an amazing Christian author. I recommend his Black, Red, White trilogy or just about anything else he's written (and there's alot).
Nicole from Ohio

Hi Nicole and welcome! I love your name (it's Daughter #2's middle name .... I've always loved it).
I have not read anything by Ted Dekker, but will most certainly look him up now that you've recommended him so highly. Thanks so much for telling me (and the other Peeps) about him!!


Carrie asks:
HA! Sorry I forgot (again) to submit a question! Here's my next week's question: I have a little boy, and now that I'm expecting a little girl, I've started to think a little about modesty. I am SUPER concerned about modesty for myself, and for my daughter, eventually, but when do you think it starts to matter? Obviously a 1 or 2 year old girl running around in a diaper isn't immodest, but what about a 5 or 7 year old, or a 10 year old...where did you draw the line on certain modesty issues with your daughters, or what is your opinion about when it starts to matter?

Hi Carrie ...... and first of all ....
CONGRATS on a baby girl!!!!! I'm so excited for you guys!
And now to my answer ..... I have to say that I was a bit more laid back on the modesty thing. The youngest boys loved skinny dipping in the pool until about the age of 9 or so. And all children prefer running around the house naked as a jay bird around the age of 2 -4 years than they do being fully clothed.
I think it's perfectly fine for them to run around in their diaper/underwear until around the age of 7 or so, or whenever they (and others in the family) decide they're too old. Some children do it earlier, some do it later. Not many do it "too late", so I wouldn't worry about it.
My daughters grew up being very, very modest once they reached the age of 8 or so. Before that I could bathe at least 4 at a time in the tub, which was convenient for me and fun for them.
My advise would be to not worry about it ..... it will happen naturally. Just try to be a bit laid back if you're quite modest .... so that they can also feel a bit laid back. They'll pick up on your feelings about this and will know if you're feeling tense or "uptight" about it. I doubt that you will ..... you'll be too busy taking pictures with which to blackmail them when they're older!


Thanks to all of my wonderful Peeps who've made such kind and equally wonderful comments about the girls and their voices. They insist it's not that good ..... I/we know different, don't we?


Son #3 had a game tonight. I should have remembered to mention it on the blog so that you all could have reminded me to take my camera. But alas, I did not .... so I did not.
Oh well .... we lost and he didn't get to play much at all (seems his coach was upset that he got blocked at last week's game so he was reprimanded by not starting this week). Texas football .... gotta hate love it.
It would seem that there's something missing in the water in our community. Our football players always look about 5 years younger AND smaller than the other teams' players.
Or maybe that's just my motherly eyes, but I don't think so.
Oh well. Only 2 more home games left. I'll try to remember to notify you when the next one's coming up (not for a few weeks) so that you can remind me, Peeps.
I need all the reminding I can get!

Tomorrow morning I have a tennis match (a real, "not just for fun" match) at 8:15. Eight fifteen is an ungodly hour to play tennis ..... or anything else, really.
Hopefully I'll be awake enough to not humiliate my partner.
I make no promises.

Have a good evening, Peeps. And have a happy Friday.
:)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been a week behind in reading, finally caught up---maybe now I can catch up on other things. All sounds good.
Movies -- White Christmas/Holiday Inn,
Books -- Author: Dee Henderson
Your peeps are blessed by your wisdom & insight.
Thanks for being a blessing, JYBS

Carrie said...

Thanks for answering my question - you're right, it's not a big deal as I'm making it, I guess. Since we work in Christian camping, it's a little like raising your kids in a 'pastor's kids' bubble where people are watching your every move, so I guess we think about it more because of that. But I really appreciate your answer! :)