Saturday, September 26, 2009

T.A.N.W.....

.... for how blessed I am.

I spent over 4 hours today going through all of the cards, letters, newspaper articles, comments, etc. from the past 22 months. I wanted to organize everything and pull out all of the comments that will make up the book I'm making for Jim's 50th (in January). It will be a book with everyone's thoughts about him so I'm hoping that most people have sent them in (though there's still time to get more!).
There were hundreds of cards. Hundreds. From all over the world. A few friends sent several over the first year. My friends A and K sent the funniest and the most touching. Another friend from church, SB, sent an amazing number. I had forgotten, or had just been in too much shock to really see, how many people showed us they cared and were praying and thinking about us by
sending cards.
There Are No Words for how touched I felt going through those cards today.
None.

Here's how they looked once I was done sorting everything:

I had just finished this project when the doorbell rang. It was the postal carrier, with a package for me that required my signature. I was a bit puzzled, because I hadn't ordered anything and then I looked at the return address and suddenly thought I might cry.
It was from Pam, in Canada.
And this is what was in it:





There.
Are.
No.
Words.

Or at least there aren't enough. Not enough words to say thank you, to a wonderful woman who only knows me through my blog, but whose heart is so big that she saw a pattern that said, "One day at a time", and thought of me. And then got the pattern and changed it, cross stitched it, put it in a frame and then wrapped it very carefully and sent it to me ...... basically a complete stranger.

I am so humbled and blessed. God has used this horrible event in my life to bless me so much through all of you. Yes, I'd rather have Jim here, but he's not .... and so I'm thankful that God can and does use Jim's death in positive ways.
He gives me the ability to write words that somehow help other people and He gives you all the capacity to care and to let me, and others, know that you care. You all let me know that I am not alone .... that even in the darkest dark, there are people pulling and praying for me. And cheering for me in the lighter moments, too.

So thank you, Pam ..... more than I can say. Thank you for following your amazingly loving heart.
And thank you, Peeps ..... for being out there ...... always pulling and always praying.
It's been a good week. Which brings up another "p word" ..... Praising.
Thank God for good weeks.
Heck ..... thank God for good days, hours, minutes and seconds.

Have a good Saturday evening, Peeps.

8 comments:

Tracey said...

So beautiful. Your words surely must've really touched her heart Janine.

susan said...

absolutely breath-taking!

Anonymous said...

Let's hear a WOOP WOOP for a good week and good friends!! We are all pulling for you Janine and praying for you and the kids! May the good seconds, minutes, hours, days, months and years continue!!!

Malinn Saxe said...

Wow Janine!!! What a VERY touching post to your blog! So thankful you feel God's presence and know that even in the MOST painful things in our lives - SOMEHOW - He uses them! I don't understand it - but I've personally experienced it - and seen it in other's lives such as yours! And the gift from your friend via the Blog - incredible!!! Loving you....Malinn

southeastcountrywife said...

That is just beautiful--what a treasure!

And kudos to you for tackling that job...you're suggestion and inspiration for me...I should do that sometime.

Leslie said...

Your post reminded me of a book that I think every human being should read (maybe at least 5 or 6 times at different points in their lives):
Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl. Have you read it? You are living it my dear. Love.

kdawnmartin said...

what a beautiful gesture from a perfect stanger. It's so nice to know that there is still so much love in this world. I love you so very much! I hope you have a wonderful blessed day. I can't wait to see you on Thursday! (or is it Friday?)

Nat said...

What a beautiful blog to read on this Monday afternoon. I am so proud of you for so many things but organizing the letters and cards and still feeling blessed is amazing in itself.
And to our fellow peep from up north in Canada, you are always welcome to come to Texas and be embraced by a lot of people who love you and love the sweet and beautiful gift you have given to Janine. What a friend! Your cross-stitch is beautiful but the gesture is totally beyond words.