Thursday, July 14, 2011

I Have Lied ....

.... for a very, very long time.
But God and I, and a therapist have been working on that since Jim died.
Well, maybe since the year after Jim died.  The year following his death I was too cloaked, suffocating and smothered in grief to lie about anything.  Or to act out the lie.

But I am done.
God and I have been through a lot to help me be done.
And He made it abundantly clear that I would not be done until I was able to tell my children.

And so I did.
Every one.
One at a time.
Face to face.

And now, it's time to tell you.
Because I have always strived to be truthful about my feelings and my grief on this blog.
But I haven't been truthful about one thing.
One thing that will surprise and shock almost everyone who knows me.
Especially my closest friends.
Especially the one who is the godmother of my children.

So before I tell you, I have to tell you that I'm sorry.
I'm sorry that I have lived a lie for years.
And years.
And years.

And I'm sorry that this is the way you are finding out.
But I owed it to my children, and only my children, to tell them privately.
The thought of making 10 or twenty phone calls?  I'm sorry, but I don't have the energy to do that.
I hope you understand, and I hope you forgive me.

So here it is:
I have been bulimic since I was 21.
And I cannot believe that I just typed out those words.
I had never, ever been able to write/type them .... until recently.
Hell, I couldn't even say them until recently.
Literally.

I first confessed to someone close to me the year after Jim died.  It took an hour for this person to figure it out, because I was so ashamed of myself .... and what this friend might think .... that all I could do is cry (over the phone) and make this person play "20 questions" until they hit the nail on the head.

And the next week I told my therapist.
And that's when the healing began.
It's been a slow journey, but a mostly progressive one.
And now I know, without a doubt, that God has provided me with healing.
In a very strange way.

You see, I realized a few weeks ago that this RA, or whatever it is, was going to require more from me than anything else my body has ever dealt with.
I knew that it was going to take a lot of energy and a lot of paying attention to what my body tells me.  So much so that I just simply "let go" of the bulimia.
And, other than knowing that I had to tell each of my children, I haven't given it a moments thought in quite a while.
And.
That.
Is.
Huge.

So I see this inflammatory disease as a gift.  From God.
It was the one thing that would help me stop.  To help me accept healing.
But while I totally believe that I am healed, I also know that it's up to me to make a decision .... every single day .... to accept that healing and not to go back down that path.
I hope that that's what I'll choose.
I believe I will.
But I know better than to look too far into the future.

I know of some triggers that occurred in my life that led me to want to control my body.
I will not go into that.  I told each of my children.  I told them everything.
And now I am done.
I have been through some amazing experiences to be able to let go of those triggers, to not blame anyone for what was, in the end, my decision.

When I was 21 I had never heard of bulimia.
I had no idea that anyone else did it.
It actually started when I was 15.  I came down with a bout of stomach flu and lost quite a few pounds.
Once I was better, it occurred to me that that was an easy way to not gain weight.  And, hopefully, lose weight.
But I only messed around with it for a week or so and then I stopped.

I have considered myself to be fat, or at least over weight since I was 9 or 10.  That consideration turned into fact for me when I was around 12.  A trigger.  Words spoken.  Never to be taken back, because of course, that's not possible.
And some words have the power to burrow deep down inside of us .... and to continue to damage us for years and years and years.

I thought I was fat in college.
And one day, during a particular horrible summer, I accidentally found out that I could bend over, move my stomach muscles (which have always and still are incredibly strong) and throw up.
What could be easier than that?
I didn't think about the potential harm.
I really didn't see any harm to it.
Again, I'd never heard of it.
And so it began.
And I lost a little weight.
And people noticed.
And that felt great.

Because when you spend your life hating yourself for being overweight, getting a compliment on how good you look must be like getting hooked on cocaine.  It felt great.
I felt great.

But here's the ironic thing.
Or rather, the very, very, very sad thing.
Several years ago I got out some old photo albums.  From college, high school, middle school and earlier.
And I was stunned.
Because that little girl, that teenager, that young woman .... was not fat.
She was not even overweight.

It was like looking at pictures of a totally different person.
But I continued to look.
And then ..... I cried.
Not for me.
But for that precious little girl who ended up spending most of her life thinking she was fat.  Always believing she was overweight.
Always.
She never doubted it.

I wish I could go back in time and just hold her and hug her and tell her that she was wonderful just the way she was.
But, if I can't wish Jim back from the dead, I certainly can't go back in time.

Jim never knew.
Ever.
Of that I have no doubt.
And I have mixed feelings about that.
Sometimes it really pisses me off that he didn't know .... that he never noticed.
But mostly?  Mostly I'm glad .... and relieved.
I'm glad that he didn't have to worry about that.
Especially at the end .... if he even suspected it would be the end.

I never did it while pregnant.  Didn't have to.  After my first pregnancy I was sicker than sick during the rest.  Always lost weight because I could not keep anything down for the first 4 months.
I didn't do it while I was nursing because I had a hard enough time producing enough milk and didn't want that to make it worse.
I never let it control me as much as it had the potential to.
Don't get me wrong .... it controlled me, but not totally.

I never let "it" make a decision for me.  I never chose to not go somewhere, or eat somewhere based on whether or not I might need to throw up.
It could've been worse.  I know that.  And I'm grateful that it wasn't.

I was afraid to seek help when the kids were little because I knew that would probably mean I'd have to go into treatment and leave for a month or so.
And that .... I could not do.  I could not have left my children. Not for myself.  I would rather have died than to have that happen.
No, it doesn't make a lot of sense, unless you've been there.

The one thing that I kept foremost in my mind ..... foremost .... was to never, EVER say one single word to my children, especially to my daughters, about their bodies.  Never.
I never complained about my body in front of them.  Ever.
I never dieted.
Ever.
There was no way in hell I was going to let them go through what I went through.  And I made sure Jim never said anything.
There was one time .... I was joking with one of the girls when she was around 14 or so and I told her to suck in her stomach.  When those words came out of my mouth I was horrified.  Yes, I was joking and yes, she knew I was joking ..... but jokes can hurt just as much, or more, than serious words.
And I fell all over myself apologizing to her, letting her know that she was (and is) beautiful, her body was (and is) perfect and that I would never, ever say anything like that again.
And I haven't.

And I have always been, and continue to be, stunned at the self images all 3 daughters have of their bodies.  They think they're just right.  In fact, I dare say that they think they're more than just right.
And they are.
After I confessed to D1 she told me that she never, ever gave her body a second thought.  She never felt negative about it or thought it could be improved.
And that amazes .... and relieves me.
Very, very much.

My children have been amazingly wonderful and supportive.  I expected disappointment, resentment, anger.
I was wrong.
All I received from them was unconditional love, support, acceptance and gratitude.  For telling them.
And we shared some tears.
I was also amazed at how easy it was to tell them.  How easy it is to say now.
It was time.
And once I knew that, I wasn't paralyzed at the thought of telling someone.
I cannot describe how light that feels.

I told each of my children that I was going to blog about it.  I told them that I wanted to be a lot more honest than I had professed to be.
And I wanted to let other women (or men) know ..... that not only in grief .... are they not alone.
Because I know now, I'm not the only one.
And if I can put it out here .... for all of you to see, not knowing what to expect in return, what reactions I'll receive .... and yet not be afraid of what may come, then maybe I'll be of some help to someone else.
Maybe.

Only one child expressed discouragement at my putting it out here.
Not because of how he feels about it.
But because he fears what some people may say.  He's afraid for me.
He doesn't want anyone to hurt me with negative words, accusations or expressed disappointment.  I love him.
I told him that I am strong enough to handle that.
But ..... my children are not.

So if there are any hurtful thoughts running through anyone's head, please don't post them.  Not for me.
But for my kids.  I will delete them anyway.  For my kids.

So there you have it.
Complete and utter honesty.
A year ago I could not have written this.
I could not have typed the word "bulimia".
And now, it comes freely.
No pain.  No fear.
Nothing but relief.
And happiness.
And freedom.

Again, to all of my closest friends ... I'm sorry.
You can't imagine how sorry I am.
And I hope that you don't think as badly of me as I expect you to.
But please know that you can ask me anything .... about this, or whatever.
And I will answer.

And that applies to each of you Peeps who only know me through my blog.
Some of you know me very, very well.
Most of you have grieved with me for a long time.
All of you have cheered me on and encouraged me.
I hope that you continue to do so, even if you feel disappointed.

I cannot believe that I'm here .... at this point .... getting ready to click "Publish Post" and that my heart isn't beating 120 beats a minute.
This is, to me, nothing short of a miracle.

Thank you to my constantly-amazing children.
Who love me unconditionally.
And always have.

And thank you .... all of you, for all that you've done for me over the past 3+ years.  You will never, ever know how much you mean to me.  Yes, even you lurkers.
I love you, appreciate you, and know that I am still here .... because of you.

And.
That.
Is.
Huge.

Happy Thursday, Peeps.
I hope you're still here tomorrow.
:)

30 comments:

Cindy B from CA said...

You did not have to tell us, but you did. I think you are a pretty great lady. Don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise.

RJ said...

Hi Janine. Bravo!

Leslie said...

I love you Janine. And I'm so glad you are free.

Amanda said...

Oh, Janine. I'm so sorry you've had to carry this around for so long. And so grateful that God has done a work in your life and freed you from this disease.

Nat said...

It would be easier for me to say T.A.N.W. but I do need to say the first words that come to my heart- I am SO proud of you for sharing this private part of your life in such a public way because you will help others, once again, through your blog by sharing your heart and all you have been through. It has been a long battle for you and I know with God's power you will get through this and help others along the way like you always do.

Moni said...

Janine, You are not alone, there are alot of us out there with Eating Disorders. Some of us throw up, laxatives, starve ourselves, binge, over exercise, etc. I have done it all. I use to think this was just normal . . . my mother did it, what in the world is normal anyway? I am well into "recovery" but it is always there. One day at a time. Moni B

Anonymous said...

No need to be sorry and no one is disappointed - just the opposite. We are so sorry that this has weighed heavily on your heart for many years. We are so proud of you for sharing it! Many of us struggle with different issues. My husband is an alcoholic and there is so much shame and privacy associated with it. He won't tell anyone and so I can't tell anyone or talk to anyone about it. Sometimes I wish I just had a shoulder to cry on. But instead, I try to stay strong and just deal with it. Secrets are not good for anyone. I will be praying for continued healing for you and know that God is in control!

susan said...

the truth will set you free....no disappointment, only encouragement and love. you are so brave to put this out there. may God use it, and continue to use you, as a blessing for others.

Anonymous said...

You are an awesome woman, Janine Eggers! Love and hugs, Jo Ann

Linds said...

Well done, girl. I am very proud of you.

Patty said...

I admire and respect you Janine... for so many reasons...and this is just another example. You have helped so many and I'm sure this post will help free others of this disease that so many women and girls suffer from. It took a lot to put this "out" there and I pray that you only receive love and support! Please know that I will always be a cheerleader for you!! You are an AMAZING woman!!!! Thank you for sharing your life with your readers...the good the bad and the ugly.

Mom said...

"I have come into the world as light, so that whoever believes in me may not remain in darkness."
- Jesus

So proud of you!
BB

Kris H. said...

I am one of the "lurkers'...one who found your blog because of your widowhood, but have continued to read daily because I have come to admire you and your strength. We all carry secrets...I am so blessed that God is using your secret to strengthen not only you, but now others who may be battling the same issue. No disappoinment here...if fact,it is with pride that I read your post. Courageous is what you are. God's blessings as you continue to deal and heal!!

Anonymous said...

"Secrets, secrets are no fun. Secrets, secrets hurt someone." I remember my second grade teacher chanting that saying so many times when kids would whisper in class. The truth is that secrets do hurt. They hurt the person who has to carry them. I'm sad that you spent so many years carrying the immense weight of this secret and so proud of you for sharing it now. I love you yesterday, today, and for always and I am so thankful that you are in my life. You are an inspiration to me. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Janine,

I have been a lurker from way back and have meant to post many times but this time I decided I need to now!!!

I am so proud of you! I know this doesn't mean much from a fellow sister in Christ you don't know, but I know from personal experience how important it is to put daylight on our shame and to receive compassion from others and God. Also, it's important to ask for forgiveness and be freed by the Lord. Good for you!

I'm not a widow, but have grieved for a long time over a sad childhood and have so appreciated your perspective and your courage. Even though you haven't had a choice on going through all these things, your reaction was totally up to you. The fact that you have gone on and kept your home intact for your children is a big deal. Believe me, I had parents who didn't do that when life was difficult, and all of their children were adversely affected in addition to the original painful event.

So, again, Good for you Janine! Keep pressing on!

Blessings,

Diane

Janet said...

No eating disorder but O Boy was I impacted by comments on the size of my butt. I have always felt overweight, and few things over the years changed that. I liked to say I was fat and happy. When times were emotionally hard I lost weight, thin and miserable. My cheerleaders (daughters) look through old pictures of me and wonder where I got the idea I was fat. That's what happens when you have self-esteem issues. Bravo for coming out of the closet on this issue, and I hope the truth will indeed set you free!!!

Anonymous said...

Janine, you are very brave and very strong. How could anyone possibly be disappointed? I admire you for taking your deepest shame, and not only staring it down privately, but putting it on stage and staring it down publicly. We all have some sense of shame, and being able to share it and see the dark sides of others reminds us of our common humanity, and helps us all be complete people. I applaud you for getting this out there and out of your way, and I admire you for living in such an open way. (And, by the way, having a secret doesn't make you a liar. But having fewer secrets surely makes you a freer, happier person.) You are truly an inspiration. --Andra

jessica said...

Wow. What can I say, that others have not already said? I, too, have self-esteem issues from comments made when I was not even 5 years old. Not about weight, however. But enough to make me feel that I am always less attractive than my younger sister. Still haunts me today. Folks just don't realize how words can hurt or negatively impact someone. So brave of you to share, and I know this will be helping others. {{Hugs}}

Unknown said...

JT, you are loved! Your story may just be the catalyst for someone who needs to have the courage to change their life. Thank you sweet friend for sharing your life so openly with the world to read. May God bless your transparency!
Love you,
Julie

jaxonsgram said...

Janine, I am here for you ALWAYS, no matter what!! Hugs to you, Lorry

Beth said...

Janine: once again, I am in awe of your honesty, courage and strength. You have helped so many struggling with grief through your blog I am sure you will be able to help those with eating disorders as well. God has given you a true gift in your ability to both express yourself and lend comfort to others. You are using that gift well; and those of us lucky enough to have found you are so thankful that you do! Hugs.

Phyllis said...

Seems that all of us think we are inadequate in some way, and we each have things we do not feel that we can share with others.

We are cruel to others with our thoughts and remarks (maybe not to the person we are talking "about") which causes us to feel shame when we do admit a "failing". Not sure why we feel the need to belittle each other instead of building each other up.

Guess that is the reason we all try to bottle everything up and suffer in silence.

You have done NOTHING that you need to apologize for. We are all beautiful, strong people. You get nothing but support from me!

Love you, even though I only know you through your blog.

Marcia said...

I too am one of those lurkers who is an avid reader but have only responded a couple of times. Just could not pass up encouraging you in this journey though. Thank you for being so honest and open. Bravo to you.

MB said...

Proud tears from one who only knows you from the blogosphere.

I have had many moments looking back and realizing that my body image was completely distorted. I'm still working on it too.

Sending love and support your way.

Your kids are blessed to have such a strong, honest, loving person for a mom.

Thank you!! xo mb

Michele Neff Hernandez said...

Your courage amazes me. And I am so, so, so glad that you are begining to believe that you are enough. Exactly as you are. Big, big love friend.

Anonymous said...

Yay you! You are an agent of change. I am so happy you have addressed this and faced yourself. And I am especially encouraged by your approach with your daughters. Like many, this subject has touched me personally and I know the pain, strength and courage it took for you to get here today. Thanks for sharing.

Roma

Cindy T. said...

Hope you feel light as a feather now that you have released this weight off your heart! What courage! Now continue moving forward in life's wonderful journey!!! Much love, Cindy T.

elliebelle said...

Hi Janine ~ thanks so much for having the courage to share. I know how very hard that is as I lived with bulimia for 16 years. And have basically been free for around 10. I know what a private thing it is and I know how hard it is to share - true bravery! When I got married my husband didn't know. I did tell him shortly after offering the option to divorce - but he declined and stuck with me, encouraged me, loved me and stood by me while I sought out help. I am certain that Jim would have done the same!!! I am so happy to see the support you've received - know that you have one more supporter and if you ever need to talk to someone who's walked the path I am here. I read faithfully, but am a true lurker and very rarely comment - but often keep you in my prayers!!! Many hugs and wishes for continuing support, love and complete recovery!!!

Carrie said...

I am always amazed by your honesty, Janine - I know there are many others out there who struggle with the exact same thing & hopefully your post will be a catalyst to them being set free from it. Praying for you as you take this step and begin to be freed from this!!!

Unknown said...

Thank you for your bravery in sharing this Janine! You are an inspiration to me. I was bulimic for a time during high school, and have struggled with body image issues in other ways. We are "only as sick as our secrets" as the old saying goes and I applaud you for sharing and opening up to the world. Have a great time in Kenya - wish I was going!! Hugs, W.