Saturday, September 8, 2007

What the heck am I doing?!

Well, after many encouraging words - and even a few challenging ones - I'm trying my hand at this blogging thing. I may be the only one who knows it's here - and that may be a good thing.
Here's a little info about me and my family:
My husband and I have been married 24 years and have 6 children. Three girls, followed by three boys. God has a sense of humor. Actually, whenever the girls asked "Why didn't you stop after three?" (and they asked often) we told them it was their fault. They were such wonderful babies and toddlers that we just kept going. Had we received three boys first we would have only three children. Trust me.
The girls are 22, 20 and 20. Yes, twins. Identical.
They boys are 17, 15 and soon-to-be 13.
Our household has changed quite a bit in the last few years. The girls went off to college and left me alone - with all of this testosterone in our house. I can't say that I blame them -- I would've flown the coop many times if it were an option! The first year was quite an adjustment. I missed the girls. I missed the family members who understood me and what I was feeling and didn't look at me like I was from another planet. I missed not having to repeat myself. I missed having children in the house who didn't punch each other to make a point.
But, after the first 6 months or so I began to adjust. Now, I'm almost afraid to admit this, I'm enjoying life with just the boys! It's quite different, to be sure, but it's never dull. Actually, life hasn't been dull since November, 1984!
This blog would probably have had more funny, exciting stories if I'd started it back then, when W was born. But, household computers weren't around in 1984. So I'll have to make do with less-exciting stories. Well, let's hope they'll be less exciting. I mean, the kids are older, there are fewer of them at home, life should be pretty much easy-going now, right? HA!!
Well-meaning people would look at our large brood whenever we were out in public and feel the need to say trite things like, "It gets easier". What? Did they give up being parents once their kids hit 18?! What a crock! It doesn't get "easier" - it gets, well, different. It's an ever-changing role, this parenthood thing. It's mostly about control -- and realizing that you never really have any. Well, at least you SHOULD come to realize that. Sometimes it takes years and years.
Anyway, just as I was adjusting to life with a household of men, the oldest daughter came home. Much to our, and her, surprise. Not in the plans, but then God has a sense of humor (a recuring theme in my life). She's doing an internship for a year that pays zip. So she's back at home. I think SHE feels like a being from another planet. It's an adjustment for everyone but one that seems to be coming along.
She's interning as a dramaturg for a theatre in Houston. She loves it. The first play of the season opened last night and we went. She's in the playbill!! Picture and all! And the notes that she wrote in the playbill (one of the jobs of a dramaturg) were absolutely fabulous! And no, I'm not biased. :)
Anyway, it's an awesome play and you should go see it. Those of you who know me can ask about it and I'll give you the details.
I think I've lost my mind (yet again). I decided to audition for a local musical (no, not a singing part). I got the part of the "mom" -- how ironic. The day after I auditioned our pastor called to ask me to consider coming back on staff at our church in a newly created position. Twenty hours a week -- manageable. Well, almost. Add it to the play, the youngest son's football schedule (his first time EVER to play!), the dh's work schedule, the dh's school board schedule (he's the president), and most importantly - my tennis team schedule (usually a great stress reliever. usually.) and I think I've lost my mind. I've been working for two weeks and rehearsals started this past week. What - have - I - done?!
Actually, I think it will turn out OK. I know the next two months will be crazy (the play is at the end of Oct) but I think it will be worth it. I'm loving the job, even though I really don't know what I'm doing (which is why it's great to have a NEWLY created position -- no expectations!).
So, that's life at the moment. We'll see what the future holds. God does indeed have a sense of humor. :)

No comments: