And now Son #3 is enjoying running through and totally destroying my home playtime with Gabby.
The sigh has been sighed.
And so begins .... the backdrop of my day (a.k.a. Part 2).
Before I begin .... let me just add ..... that I just this second turned on what is usually a very humorous show, "Scrubs". And am really not believing that a doctor just walked into a patient's room to tell the patient's wife .... that her husband is about to die.
Welcome. To. My. Hell.
But I digress.
I am going to Mardi Gras this weekend. It will be my second time to go. The first time was in February 2007.
You know ...... that year.
Yes, Jim and I attended Mardi Gras with several friends and we had a blast. I was surprised, because I never would have guessed that he would agree to go. He was not a "party person", let alone a "Mardi Gras person". I am not either, but he had me beat.
But he said yes. And so we went. And we had fun. Here is some evidence:
After we returned -- very, very tired -- our friends who "hosted" the trip asked Jim, one week later, if he'd like to go again. I didn't think he would. Seriously.
But he said yes .... much to my shock. I mean, we did have fun ..... but he really, really, really was NOT a "party person" and so I had assumed that he had checked "Mardi Gras" off of his list (I'd say "bucket list" but that would be way too morbid, wouldn't it?).
Anyway, fast forward to October 2007. I went to Oklahoma with Daughter #1 for a weekend. We went shopping with my mom and my sister, who was also in town for the weekend. And, though I wasn't looking, I found a fabulous dress for the next Mardi Gras. It was on sale and it looked great on me (according to Daughter #1, my mom and my sis ..... and yes, even to me).
So I bought it and brought it home. I told Jim about the dress, but wouldn't show it to him. I told him that I would surprise him at Mardi Gras when he saw me in it for the first time.
He never did.
I, of course, did not attend that Mardi Gras with my friends. No way.
But I agreed to go this year. I knew that we had fun and I wanted to have fun.
And now, now that the weekend is steamrolling toward me, I am having second, horrible thoughts.
It will bring back so many memories, which can be good ... but can also be very, very bad.
And .... I will be a "5th wheel" among all of our couple friends .... no matter how much they deny it, no matter how much they love me, no matter how much they want to include me ... I am no longer one of them.
But .... I am going.
Stupid? Possibly.
Fun? Probably.
Sad? Definitely.
Healing? Likely.
It will be a "wavy" weekend.
And so today it occurred to me that I needed to try on "The Dress" (I didn't have the energy to go get another dress and just decided to wear that one).
"The Dress" has not seen the light of day since the day I brought it home in October of 2007. It has hung, in it's bag, in my closet ever since.
And today I realized that I might need to try it on ..... since my body has become somewhat "altered" in the last 14 months. And I remembered that it was pretty long so I needed to decide which shoes I could wear with it.
So .... I took a deep breath and headed towards my closet. As I put my hand on the doorknob the tears started to flow. I opened the door and walked into the closet. The tears started coming faster, as did my breathing.
I looked into the closet and saw the bag hanging there. I paused for a moment ..... and then reached out and took it off of the rod.
I walked out of the closet, hooked the hanger on the closet door, and stared at the bag for a moment. Probably more than a moment. And I cried.
And then I took a deep breath .... and removed the bag.
And looked at "The Dress".
And cried some more ..... for the loss of so many things, but mainly, for the loss of my dreams.
And then I stepped out of my p.j.s and into "The Dress".
And tried not to get it too wet.
It fit pretty well, in spite of my "altered figure".
Jim would have loved this dress.
He would have loved me in it.
Once I could stop crying, I started looking for the pair of shoes that I had planned to wear with it. I found them.
And then discovered .... that I have obviously shrunk in height over the past 14 months. "The Dress" was WAY longer than I had remembered. And I don't have shoes that are "high" enough to make it work.
And so I decided ..... against my better judgement .... to hem it.
OMG.
At first I tried to do it on my sewing machine. My sewing machine and I are not friends. Actually, sewing and I are not friends.
I ripped out what I had started.
And then started again.
And then gave up ... and decided to just do it by hand.
That's when I decided to do that and watch "The Bachelor".
Big mistake ..... as you already know.
I was already an emotional mess before starting to hem it, and it just went from bad to worse.
But I stuck with it .... and finished it.
Well, sort of.
It's a totally crappy job, but I figure that it will work for one night.
And hopefully my friends will be kind enough to NOT look at the hem .... not even glance at it ... that night.
This took up all of my morning and most of my afternoon.
And this was after I had woken up at 4:30 a.m. feeling pretty ill with what I guess was an intestinal malfunction.
And then pretty much stayed up.
I dozed on and off until 7:30 and then gave up and got up.
I decided that I couldn't go to work on so little sleep.
I should have decided that I couldn't try on "The Dress" with so little sleep.
And I DEFINITELY should have decided that I couldn't hem the damn thing on so little sleep.
Shoulds, coulds, woulds ....... the world is full of them.
And that, my friends, was my day ..... or most of it.
Tomorrow I have an appointment with my regular doctor for a med check. We will have a serious discussion about the effectiveness, and ineffectiveness, of Ambien, much to the relief of, evidently, everyone who knows me.
I think it's just the stress of the medical crap in my life .... and am interested to see how things go after the surgery.
And now I will leave you with something that Jim never got to see ...... "The Dress".
And maybe, just maybe, I will come back from Mardi Gras and post a picture of me in it.
No promises.
Just a maybe.
14 comments:
Good evening my darling daughter. I sure do wish you had called about the dress. I'm not that far away, you know. I could have easily come in for the day and hemmed it for you. Much easier and more permanent. Please, please don't hesitate to call for "stuff". That's why I'm in Texas, remember? I love you so very much.
I know. I should have, but didn't think there was much time.
And by the time I decided to do it there was no turning back.
But next time .....
I love you.
P.S. How's Sassy?!
You are a brave woman. Going to Mardi Gras with M and D would be as safe as it possibly could be, though, right? I wish so much I could go with you all! Give a little more notice next time and I'll meet you!
Beautiful Dress and I'm thinking the way it looks with the gathering in the upstairs area it will appear there is more there than meets the eye which will then lead to more beads being thrown your way.....Will be praying that it will be a sweet time with your friends. I have been in New Orleans around Mardi Gras but not the actual parade time and let me just say I do know how gals get there beads.....I figure what happens in New Orleans stays in New Orleans but suffice it to say I did not come home with many beads and I believe my ASK ME WEDNESDAY question will be How many beads did you come home with?
You are a treasure....go-eat-have fun-and let those friends of yours love and give to you while you're there....they really want to or they wouldn't have asked you to go with them!
Love ya,
Julie
Julie,
I love you.
Thank you for making me smile.
I think you will find the answer to your question very interesting.
:)
That dress is gorgeous.
now that you've opened it, and will have worn it, how long will you manage to keep it in your closet for so long without Daughters 1, 2, or 3 borrowing it!
Hah! Well she certainly won't have to worry about this daughter wearing it. In comparison to my mother, I am an Amazon woman. I would only be able to wear that dress (there appears to be no elastic) if I amputated half of my body!
It's a shame, though. Because it is a GORGEOUS dress. And I know that you will look gorgeous in it, Mommy. He's still going to think you look beautiful in it. He just might be ticked that he won't be there to show you off while you're wearing it (this is not theologically sound, I suppose, since anger is not possible in Heaven).
I love you VERY much. And to prove it, I promise you, right here and now, in front of God, your friends, and the blogging community, that I will never, EVER be a contestant on The Bachelor.
Yes... I am willing to sacrifice my chance at true love for YOU. You mean that much to me.
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo
Loved daughter#3's post! And I love the dress-it looks blue in the photo but there's my question for Wednesday. What color is the dress? By the way, I checked with my plant friend and she says it's very hard to have blooming tulips here in Kingwood-apparently it doesn't get cold enough, but we can still give it a try.
Love you!
Ok, I commented but it didn't go through I guess so I will type it again. You look HOT in that dress and I agree with daughter #3. (not that she would have to cut half her body off) But about Jim. I'm sorry he didn't get to see you in the dress while he was still with us. BUT...he will love what he sees' from heaven. I love you sis!
Beautiful dress.
Have you read or seen the movie called "PS I Love You?" Well her husband dies but before he dies he secretly had written her little notes to get her through the next year or so. He makes her do little things that he knows she would have found difficult to do and ultimately helps her to move through the various stages of her grief for the husband that she so dearly loved.
My point is that Jim would be so proud of you in that dress (Probably gasped when you put it on and thought Phwoarrr!)and wether you go in the end or you don't go, the fact that you are even thinking about trying to go through with something that will bring back memories and be difficult would make Jim think "That's my girl!"
Oh and if you haven't seen the movie or read the book,don't, as it may be a little too soon and I don't want you to be sad and watch it because of me telling you about it.
Keep breathing because I imagine that some days are so dam hard that that's all you feel that you can do and in your situation,no one should expect anything else of you.
Love
Harley's Mom.
PS Daughter #3 - What a Sweetheart and I bet they are all like that too.
am I haunting you by leaving this comment? I can now acces your blog from school. Woot! Anyways... I sent you a letter today, so you will get it Friday-ish.
Gabby is 114 LBS!?!??! I can NOT wait to walk her around Kingwood again :]
My grades are okay. Not failing... never again.... Still struggling with Math. I think I have a 70 in there. But we have a Binder check for a TEST grade before exams, which I WILL get a 100 off, raising my grade 3 points!!! 3 FRICKEN POINTS! HAH!!!!
So hopefully the exam will go well in a couple weeks.
Is CD playing my guitars? Ask him if he would ever want to come in and mess aroud with my amp and stuff, making sure everything is in check. And yes.... tell him he can use my wireless stuff in YESS....
So after spring break, I only have to do this for 8 more weeks! UGH!
Oh and I have a new idea for the Tattoo for dad. I may get dog tags with his name on it and DOB&DOD, sense he always wore Dog Tags. I like the idea. So yeah.
Write me more! And in your next blog, thanks J,L,&S for me for sending me the cookies. Their reeaaalllllyyy good.
Oh, and can I go to a concert with Barrett over SB? :D (passing ALL classes btw ;])
So I should wrap this up. OH! Forgot to say I have Drivers Ed test today for my Permit. I can only say ONE thing. Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet. ;)
And in a way to remember Dad, you should put ATTENTION KINGWOOD: PARKER EGGERS CAN LEGALY DRIVE NOW! ADDITIONAL CAUTION IS ADVISED!! in the newspaper. He told me he was gonna do that.
Anyways, yeah, wrapping it up here... slooowwwlllyy....
I'll call you this weekend.
Love,
Son #2
Daughter #3,
Thank you very much for your sacrifice .... not only for you, but for the potential men of this world who will not see you loveliness on a television show.
Sigh ..... such love.
You. Totally. Rock.
And .... T.A.N.W. for how much I love you.
Son #2,
No, you're not haunting me but I am a little afraid to know you can now access me from school!!
I am so very, very, very proud of you. Very.
You are doing a great job and you are working hard ... something you've never really wanted to do before, so I know how much you're growing .... you want to do the work. I know that your Dad is beaming in his pride for you.
I like the idea of the dog tags ..... you will certainly get those much sooner than you will a tattoo. :)
And yes, Kingwood has now been warned.
Big .... huge .... sigh......
I love you and can't wait to see you for SB.
:)
P.S. Most readers are probably wondering why I would post this .... fair question.
I post it so he will know:
#1. I saw it.
#2. I read it.
#3. and that I'm so proud of him that I want to share it .... I want to scream it from the mountain tops, only mountain tops are very difficult to find in this part of Texas ..... and so I post it.
P - if you see this comment, reading your post brought tears to my eyes (ok i'm a big sap, but still). I am very proud of you myself!! You sound so much happier and so POSITIVE!!
J - I think you should turn the comment reply to a blog post! You have both been through a lot, so much, and it's so nice to see everyone turning a corner. Still lots of ups and downs to come I'm sure. I love you both!!
Post a Comment