And I am tired.
Daughters #2 & #3 just drove off to go back to school.
Son #3 dumped me before I even got home!
The girls left yesterday morning at 5:30 a.m. to drive to Houston. Then we caught a plane to Lubbock at 11:15.
We went to the wedding of one of my best friend's daughter last night ..... another young woman who is like a daughter to me. They've all been friends since they were 6.
And now our babies are getting married.
The wedding was in a small, lovely chapel. It was very sweet and wonderful and full of love.
I have been so focused on my friend and her feelings and thoughts and emotions for this wedding (and so focused on all of the hospital stuff) ...... that I never saw it coming.
I should have and I'm a bit ticked at myself for not seeing it ..... not expecting it.
This was my first wedding in over 14 months. The first wedding of one of our daughters.
And really, truly ...... I never, ever ...... saw it coming.
Until I turned in expectation to watch her walk down the aisle ........ and saw her walking on the arm of her father.
And I thought my knees were going to buckle.
It was as if someone suddenly hit me very hard ..... knocking the breath out of me.
And then ..... just seconds later ...... I heard .....
"Her mother and I".
And I really thought I was going to have to bolt for the door. I was stifling huge sobs that were suddenly in the back of my throat. If this wedding at been in a larger place, where no one would have noticed ..... I would have bolted.
But I couldn't. And I couldn't let anyone around me see that I was in pain.
I was there for her.
And my daughters were sitting on either side of me ..... and I had no idea what thoughts and emotions were churning inside of them when they heard the words that they will never hear at their weddings.
These tsunami waves are just that ..... very, very sudden, coming out of nowhere, and so very hard to struggle against.
I wonder ..... will-they-ever-cease?
But, the wedding was beautiful, the reception was fun (in spite of the waves that continued to hit me throughout the evening ..... every once in a while), and the later it got, the more fun we had.
I'm glad I went. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
I just wish I'd have seen it coming ..... so I could've braced myself for the wave.
It still would've hit, but when you see a wave coming, and you brace yourself, many times you're still standing when it rolls back into the ocean.
And now for something completely different.
On the way home from the airport I stopped to pick up this:

Yes, Sassy is in the building!
And here is Gabby, meeting her for the very first time (in the arms of Daughter #2):
At the moment Sassy is lying in my lap and Gabby is lying next to us in "her" chair.
And it's very, very quiet.
For now.
I'll leave you with a video of their first meeting:
And OMG ---pray that I don't get another one of these fabulous puppies!!!! I need your prayers and strength!!!!!
13 comments:
Janine, I don't think we can ever be prepared for things to hit us and bring back memories or bring up something that will hurt us like that. All, I know is, you were able to stay and not bolt. His grace was sufficient. I have learned that He never gives it to you until you need it. Just like He supplied the manna for them in the wilderness and they were only supposed to take enough for that day, if they took too much it spoiled. I firmly believe He supplies the right amount of grace right when we need it, not a moment before or a moment too late. I am praying for you to stand firm and resist another "puppy" that becomes a small horse. You asked us to, so I am doing as you requested. Blessings on your time at church tomorrow. You've told us how much you have been blessed the last two Sundays...may He do far above all we can ask or think for you tomorrow.
My childrens weddings were the second worst days of my life. I cringe even remembering it now 12-13 years later. But I survived and I don't think of the pain until I see someone else suffering thru it.
How fast Gabby has grown in such a short time. That puppy is pretty irresistable. Be strong!
How could you have seen it coming? And, what a huge, horrible wave! I am really impressed that you were able to stay through the ceremony. You are a good friend, she needed you there, and I know you WANTED to be there for her, and her daughter. I'm glad you were able to go, and to stay! I'm sorry that these waves come through with such fury and force- I hate that for you.
What is the NEW plan with the hospital? What a pain in the 'you know what' all this is! Good grief! "Time Out"!! can we call that in life? I wish we could just call a "Time Out".
I Love you, K
Janine, does Sassy belong to Dauthter #2? Or does she belong to you? And when you ask us to pray that you don't get another one of these puppies, are you asking us to pray that you do not get a THIRD puppy? OMG!!!!
man, my roommates are good. looking.
and, sass-a-frass is so cute. gabby seems so excited.
I bought Sassy as a present for my Mom and D. She is theirs, not mine.
I still have only one horse/dog ...... for now.
Janine,
WOW - I don't know what to say except thanks for writing in such a courageous and powerful way. Your words put us right there with you. Please know that your gut wrenching honesty allows us to share. We are not on this journey alone.
I am and will continue praying.
Wow- Janine, I think it was brave for you to go to a wedding, period. And then all of those waves- I can't imagine your pain. But you got through it & now you know it will be easier next time. And you will be prepared.
Also, that puppy is adorable. Totally cute. :) Looks like Gabby likes her! :)
Good evening my darling daughter. I'm so sorry the wedding was so hard for you, but I'm glad you were able to make it through for your friends. You are stronger than you will ever know.
Ok. . .is Gabby going to hate me when I take Sassy away?!? I hope not! I can hardly wait to hold her. I will see you tomorrow. I love you very, very much.
I SOOOO love you!
I can only imagine how hard that was for you. Those are moments that the rest of us just kind of take for granted. This post felt like it kicked ME in the gut, and I can hear how hard it was for you.
Sassy is ADORABLE!!! What a precious gift for your mom:)
And look how sweet Gabby is with her! Awwwwww.....
Lis
It will get easier. The pain will become less acute and more like a chronic ache. Some things will catch you off guard and be very painful but after some time you will find that when faced with something unexpected, your heart will just feel very heavy and sad.
I've almost hit the 3 year anniversary of my husband's death. Valentine's Day was harder then I expected, but mostly I just feel an overwhelming loneliness now.
Different situation by far, but very hard, conflicting feelings....my daughter will (I'm sure) be walked down the aisle one day by the man who didn't take fathering seriously. I have been preparing myself for years for this, and will continue to prepare, arriving at the day, completely unprepared. How do we EVER prepare for these events? It hurts me to think about what you went through.
As you know, (or maybe not) my dad died 4 years before Michael and I got married. Because we were estranged from our "birth" father, it was our oldest brothers "duty" to give us away. I had always planned on surprising my (step) dad and having him give me away. He. would. have. been. over. the. moon!!
But, God had other plans. So, he has my oldest child named for him! ;)
Then, since I didn't want to leave any brothers out, i had them "all" give me away! (especially since I was the last to marry)
I love my brothers for what they did. But it still sucked. BIG TIME.
Funny thing...once, before our wedding, I was on a three way call with your brother and dad. When we hung up, I cried because Michael didn't say "i love you" to him before he hung up!! Seems funny now, but it was very emotional for me and I thought how lucky he was that his father was here.
Emotions will run rapid...no matter how long. All I can say is I'm sorry. It sucks ROYALLY!
XOXO
Post a Comment