
Thanks for sending in the questions. I am posting a bit early today, but as long as you keep sending in questions I'll just keep adding them throughout the day/evening.
Hope is still here, but he's a bit tired today. He and "cousin wait" (who looks a little like Cousin It, for those old enough to know what I'm talking about!) have been having many struggles today.
The people at the hospital are trying to drive me insane. Well, not all of them ..... but definitely whoever is in charge of scheduling things. Every time I look on line to see the schedule ... it's different. One day it appears that I have to check in on Tuesday, the next (today) it appears that I will check in on Thursday. They are driving me freakin' insane! And the MOST insane part of all of this???? There are NO phone calls!!! NO. HUMAN. CONTACT!!!
I'm beginning to really hate them.
So I have called and left yet another message to ask them what is going on, when I'm supposed to check in and stay ..... and why it keeps changing. Seeing that it is now 5:37 p.m. I know that my message will not be returned today.
I'm finding that I am very, very bad at being a number. I need to be a person.
But then ..... who doesn't?! And I don't even have cancer --- so I cannot imagine the struggles of the patients who do have it ..... being treated so impersonally.
I can NOT wait to fill out the surveys and give everyone my opinion about my experience .... once I'm done with them.
So last night I had Circle time ... and it was, as always, so very wonderful. Not that we discuss wonderful topics ..... but we get each other. No one else in our worlds, get us. They try, of course. My friends wish I'd talk to them more, or that they could understand my deepest feelings about this crap in my life, but they can't. And I hope and pray, with every fiber of my soul, that they will never, ever be able to understand it.
So the ones who know me and love me the best .... know and understand my need for the Circle.
They know that there are some topics that cannot be talked about ..... outside of my Circle. Our time together is so very therapeutic. And very, very honest. And I'm thankful for that ... and for them.
OK ....... so enough of the wait and the insanity and the crap ...... and on to the questions.
Candjdean asks many questions!!!
My sister and I are only children, twins were too much for my parents. Are yours identical?
Your NTRP? Do you play every week?
Surgery in a muscle, somewhere close to your hip. Am I close? You'll do great; staying in shape will give you a quick recovery!
Gamma Phi- well not Alpha Chi (my daughter was Alpha Phi), my twin and I pledged the same house, I'm all for Greek. Most of my best college memories were the times in the house.
How many days a week do you work at the church?
OK .....
*Yes, my twin daughters (#2 & #3) are very, very identical. They are also mirror twins. For those of you who don't what that means .... I'm taking the lazy way out and telling you to Google it. :)
*I am a 3.5 player, though technically I think they just demoted me to 3.0 because I played 2 (yes, TWO) USTA matches last summer and lost them both. Whatever. I am not a 3.0 player and play on 3.5 teams. And yes, I play every week. My ideal week is to play 3 days.
*Yes, the tumor is in my left hip. When they did the biopsy they went through my left side, high on my hip. I'm thinking that's the route they'll take to remove it, but I don't know that. It's very deep and inside a muscle, so it's not a simple thing to remove.
*As for the days I work ..... lately, too many. That entails a stress all unto itself, but for the past 2 weeks it has kept me from the stress of waiting at home, alone. So I've worked more.
I usually work all day on Tuesdays, and then either all day Wed and Thurs, or I go in after I play tennis on those mornings, if I play. Lately I have been working every day ..... Monday through Friday, though a couple of those days I've gone in after tennis. I also work every Monday night (Grief Share) and every other Wednesday night (Stephen Ministry).
Next comes Julie, with her many questions!
How much weight did you gain with your twins? What day is your birthday on? Is 2010 the Big Decade birthday or is it this year? What kind of birthday celebrations did you do for your kids when they were in elementary? At what age did you let your kids spend the night at other peoples houses?
*I gained 40 pounds with the twins (25 w/ Daughter #1, and oddly enough, 19 pounds with each of the boys .... exactly. Weird, I know.)
*My birthday is June 21st, the first day of summer, the longest day of the year. So of course I always had to brag to my brother and sister that my birthday was longer than theirs.
*Yes, 2010 is the big one. sigh
*We had birthday parties for our kids until they finished 3rd grade. The summer kids (D2, D3, S1, S2) all had mostly pool parties. One time Son #1 had a "transportation" party .... around 3 or 4. All of his friends brought over their trikes, bikes, big wheels, whatever and we had a car wash and they rode around the cul-de-sac and had races and stuff.
We did parties at various pizza places with huge, scary puppet-like creatures, roller skating parties ..... all kinds.
Once they were in 4th grade we let them invite 2 friends and would go to a movie, dinner and then have a sleep over.
Not sure why we did that (except that I think it's insane to have huge parties every year .... I think I had ONE while growing up) and it worked for us.
*As for the age of spending the night ...... gee, I'm having to go way back in the vault for this. It really depended on whom they would be staying with. They had sleep overs around 5 or 6 with people we knew really well (couples from church who were our friends). But as far as over-nights at class-mates houses ...... I would say that they were at least in 3rd grade or 4th. And they only went to someone's house after I made the embarrassing phone call to ask what the plans were, make clear what we allowed and did not allow ...... and then, as they grew older and went to parties .... I called to 1: Make sure the parents knew there was a party going on at their house; 2:Ask how many adults would be there and how many kids; 3:What would be happening, as far as movies or games; and 4:What would be consumed (as in drink).
The kids hated it ..... I never met a parent who did.
Moni asks:
"Do they run these medical tests in the middle of the night?....if not can you just ask to donate two days of your life to tests but then go home at night?"
I did ask and was told that the two days were needed in case more follow up tests had to be done .... it would be easier to have me there, rather to run into a road block and then have to cancel the surgery because of a lack of time for follow up tests. Whatever.
At this moment in time, I am back to not knowing when I'm going. I may have the tests on those days but not have to stay and will check-in on Thursday a.m.
No one at this hospital seems to communicate with anyone else so the schedule is in constant flux. And that is driving me insane.
Carla asks:
"Are posts from your blog archived?"
Yes, they are. The archived posts are listed on the right side of my blog, on the side bar. If you click on it, the menu will drop down of all of the months I've posted.
I began the blog in September of 2007, two months before Jim died. In the beginning it was very,very humorous. I think the humor is creeping back in ..... and hope that it comes back full-force one day, though I think there will always be honest and painful posts here and there.
Thank you for your encouraging words, Carla ..... every comment is like a little bit of healing to my heart ..... and soul.
Cami asks ....... a very big question:
Do you think that prayer changes the outcomes of things? If it doesn't...what do you feel the point of prayer is? If we don't think it will work...why do we ask people all around us to pray for us and our situations?
Oh, Cami .... I always have to emit a very big sigh when I am asked this question (which is not a bad thing .... it's just a sigh).
So .......... sigh.......
I first wrote about this very topic here, on February 3, 2008. It was entitled, "What I No Longer Believe".
I wish I could say that my beliefs have changed since that post one year ago, but they have not.
So .... No, I do not believe that prayer changes the outcome of things. I used to. "Before". But not now. And I'm not sure that I will ever again believe that.
If prayer changed things ..... Jim would be alive and well. I believe that without a doubt, with every fiber of my heart, soul and mind. There were literally thousands of people all over the world praying for Jim that day and night. How then, could he have died? Because, in my mind, it didn't change a thing.
So then what do I feel is the point of prayer? I believe that prayer changes us. It doesn't change God's mind .... it changes mine. When I pray for people now, I don't pray for a specific thing, like healing or for a certain event to happen ... or not happen. Instead, I pray for the people involved. I pray for God to fill them with His peace, love, comfort and strength .... no matter the outcome.
I don't believe that God needs to hear my prayer ..... I believe that I need to hear my prayer.
I believe that when we pray, we grow closer to God and our hearts become more "bent" to His will. So I pray that whatever His will turns out to be, that there will be peace and acceptance. I believe that prayer is a powerful thing and that we desperately need it. But I believe it changes us, not events.
There are many, many people who totally disagree with me ..... some of them are my friends and colleagues. And I'm OK with that.
But I wonder ...... for all of the people who disagree .... have any of them walked this path?
Wendee asks:
My question is just is there anything in particular that Beth Moore has said in the recent Bible studies you've been going to that have really spoken to you, or that you've remembered and found interesting?
I am no longer able to attend her studies every week. I am needing to spend more time at home, with Son #3, so I had to cut some things out. This was a very, very painful cut, but I needed to do it.
Having said that ..... the thing that stands out the most from the first week or so is this:
God wants us to stop driving and to get in the passenger seat and enjoy the ride. Whatever the ride is, wherever the ride takes us, no matter how wild the ride is.
She also said that being a control freak is not in God's will. And neither is being boring.
So ..... let go of the wheel ..... slide over into the passenger seat of God's sporty, red convertible, and hang on for the ride of your life!
OK, those are all of the questions for now.
As I said .... if you send in more tonight I'll just add them in.
I must now go and cook dinner. Don't look so surprised ..... I'm starting to cook a little more often now!
UPDATE:
I will be gone tomorrow .... leaving town for a wedding. Daughters #2 & #3 are driving through the night and will arrive home in the wee hours of tomorrow (actually, since it's now 12:06 a.m., today) and will fly with me to the wedding.
So there will be no post tomorrow. Just a head's up. Don't panic. Don't think I've slit my wrists, or gone "postal" on anyone at MDA, which is TOTALLY plausible! I will return on Saturday ..... VD, which I will now think of as Venereal Disease, rather than Valentine's Day (sorry for all of you love birds who totally love this day ..... I now despise it ..... and think there is WAY too much hype for it!).
I will most likely post on Saturday.
Sunday will be a big day ..... my mom is getting her puppy, Sassy .... so I'll probably even post pictures. Maybe.
I don't have the energy to think up a question for you ..... so it's totally up to you now. Comment. Add your thoughts. Make this post interesting.
For me.
Tell me your thoughts on prayer ..... even if, and especially if, they differ from mine.
Share. Be open. Be honest.
I'll see you on Saturday ..... VD.
Ugh.
And to the "angel" who sent me the angel magnet .... whoever you are ..... thank you.
So much.
No words .... other than "thank you".
And ..... you made me cry... in a good way.
15 comments:
Dear Janine,
I have to say that although I read your blog on a regular basis,
(and yours is the only one I regularly read), I rarely comment. Mostly because I don't feel I have anything helpful or profound to say. Every time I read your blog my heart and my PRAYERS go out to you. When you answered the question about answered prayers I wanted to say; bingo! touchet!!, you hit the nail on the head!!! Of course I don't know if this theory is correct and I am sure no one does (except for Papa), but it is one I have held to for a long time. I truly believe that all things just happen.Period. Then God uses them for His glory. So I have to agree that prayers are best spent by praying for the individual's strength, wellness and healing and that the right people would be put in their path, and that they would be filled with peace. I know that there have been several situations in my not so distant past that I have prayed for and after the outcome wasn't quite what I - and I emphasize 'I' had not preferred, I got back on my knees and asked God what it was that He was growing in me and what I needed to learn from it. Prayer can be tricky and I think Satan also uses our disappointment in prayer. Thank you for your blog for so many reasons. I feel I know you better than I really do and that is one of the unfortunate things about getting hooked to someone's blog. I often feel compelled to converse about something which has been on your blog, or give you a hug as if I have a close relationship with you, but you can't have a close relationship with a blog. I really would like to have a better relationship with the person. So, next time I see you in the hallways at CTK, I would hope it wouldn't be too presumptuous to give you a hug and maybe talk a little deeper instead of superficialy and maybe even invite you over for a margarita - I have quite a bit of tequila and triple sec left over from the Berryhill location!!! Or maybe I can just bring the fixins over to you! I'm game if you are! You - with all your grief and suffering - are such a blessing and you need more people who are willing to bless you!!
T --- because I know who this is ---
PLEASE give me a hug every damn time you see me!!!! I will never, ever turn down a hug. I crave hugs .... now more than ever, but that's a whole 'nother blog post.
As for the margarita invite .... no pressure, but now that you've made it public .... you'd BETTER make it happen!!!!
I would love that.
And I would be happy to discuss my theories on prayer .... and anything else you'd like to discuss.
I love the people I work with.
I.Am.Blessed.
Totally.
Thank you for answering my question. Perhaps it's one I already knew the answer too...but I like hearing other perspectives. Espeically from people who have endured a lot of the crap that life can throw at us.
Being 30 now...I almost feel naive for thinking that I or even an army of prayer could change outcomes, God's mind, or His will. So silly honestly. The problem we lack is perspective...I think. We care so much about the right and and what happens, that we can't see the big picture...and even if we could, we aren't Him and I have to believe that He knows way more about "the plan" that I ever did.
I think my "before" beliefs cmae from a very controling and confident person. I wanted to believe that I had the power and control to ultimately change any and everything...don't we all to a point. But now, I'm kind of glad I can't...that's too much pressure and ultimately will set me up for failure.
So..I concur....prayer is not for God...or asking him to change his mind. He knows our minds, our hearts, every fiber of our being. But keeping that line of communication open is 100% for us. It allows us to turn loose of the guilt, burden, and other junk that will eat away at us. It also keeps Him at the fore-front of our minds when we keep constant dialoge going.
I'm glad I found your blog and that you have really challenged me to look at things differently. I may have been niave before...and now...I am humbled. A much better place to be...
Still a prayer warrior...only different...
Cami
Been reading for awhile but I didn't realize you have twins! My husband is an identical twin, he has mirror-image identical twin sons, and I am the proud grandma of fraternal twin grandsons, so twins are very close to my heart.
You are in my prayers while you go through all the medical stuff. (((HUGS)))
I believe prayer is admitting my need and opening my heart to God. Jesus said: "Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me." Revelation 3:20. To have Jesus eat with me is to be intimate with him about all the issues of my life. It is to receive him as a compassionate friend. His presence strengthens me and brings me hope.
jb
Janine,
WOW - T just echoed exactly what I've been feeling, but articulated it much better by describing how how it is to have a relationship with a blog! (Wow T, and to think that we didn't even discuss this last weekend at the retreat.) There are probably quite a few of us out there that faithfully follow your blog, and feel like we "know" you, even though we really can't. I, too, would love to bless and be blessed by a deeper, face-to-face friendship. So - if you two feel that making margueritas for a small group is just too much work, please let me know when and where... I'll bring the chips and dip! Or, since I rarely get to watch movies/dvd's, (and when we do, it's usually the action/suspense variety) I'll bring the wine and chick flick whenever you're in the mood!
Along those lines... for Ask Me Thursday - J, are you a "bottle of red" or a "bottle of white" person?
Enjoy yourself at the wedding w/ D2&D3.
Leia
I'm totally with ya on this prayer thing. How do explain situations when people are asked to pray for those they don't know - maybe even huge numbers of people praying (with the intent, I believe, to change the outcome of something)? Is it changing the pray-er to pray for people not known, when we may never even know the result of the situation? Hmmmm....
Good morning my darling daughter. Once again I am gratified at the response you receive from your "Ask Me Wednesday/Thursday". You make me proud. I love you. Have a good time at the wedding. Give the girls a hug from me. I can hardly wait for Sunday!
On the topic of prayer:
I used to believe that praying was a way to get what you wanted but couldn't get for yourself. Almost like a Christmas list for Santa Claus. "Dear God, how are you? I've been kind of good. I want X, Y & Z. Oh, yeah, and thanks for all the other good stuff. Bless everyone. Amen."
After my grandfather passed away, I would talk (pray) to him about the things going on in my life and occasionally throw in a "Pa, I've got a big midterm coming up, can you make sure God knows?" Then, suddenly, it hit me. GOD KNOWS! Why was I asking my granddad to tell God? Was it because I thought he was with God and I wasn't? What a slap in the face to the entire belief system that I had forgotten the Holy Spirit is with me. Pa is with God, but God in Spirit is with me.
I still kept up my prayers with Pa because I didn't want to give up those talks, but I learned to talk to God in a very similar way. Then when my grandmother passed, I thought, "Wow, God is seriously not listening to me. I told Him to let MaMa live and He just ignored me." So, I gave up on talking with God for awhile and went back to talking to Pa only. And once again, God waited for me a little while before hitting me with another realization (you know, it really is like He's whacking me on the back of the head, shouting out "Duh! Are you using this head or did I just give it to you for looks?"). I was so angry with God because He took someone I loved and He was supposed to love me. I had prayed that He would let her stay here and He just ignored me again. Then, thanks to that smack on the head, I realized... God never said, come to Me so I can do your will. He said, come to Me so I can help you do MY will. That really helped me get back on track with prayer.
I now view praying as just another conversation, similar to talking to Mom on the phone. God is our Supreme Parent. My relationship with Him isn't about what He can give me, but where He can guide me. I still get angry (who doesn't), but at least I've realized that much like my parents kept things from me for my own good (braces were a much better investment than 400 barbies); I have to trust that God knows best. I don't know what good I'm getting out of not having my MaMa, and I doubt that I ever will, but I have at least learned to accept that using my anger as a barrier to God does not help. Instead, I get angry and tell God how upset I am. That's a form of prayer and then I know that God knows. Just knowing that someone/being knows what is in my heart makes me feel less alone in my sadness and anger.
And pie helps.
I follow your postings -- regarding appointments on the internet....I never give out my email/cell phone or let doctor offices know I use the internet at all. Maybe to keep in mind for the future. Our society seems to be perfectly happy with distancing themselves on many occasions. I do wish you the very best. elaine
J - thanks for your thoughts on prayer. I haven't walked in your shoes, but I do agree with your perspective. I'm trying to figure out how to pray lately, and struggling mightily. You've helped.
I got "one of those" emails that I regularly ignore - **send now to 9 people or you'll have bad luck!** I almost deleted it, then instantly your face was in my mind.
Dear God:
The lady reading this
is beautiful, classy and
strong, and I love her.
Help her live her life to
the fullest.
Please promote her and
cause her to excel above her expectations.
Help her shine in the
darkest places where it is impossible to love.
Protect her at all
times, lift her up when she needs you the most,
and
let her know when she
walks with you,
She will always be
safe.
Peace, kk
p.s. T, L, J - I'm so jealous... I want a marg too!
Wow- Thanks for your thoughts on prayer. What a great thing to keep in mind. God is in control, and I believe He has everything planned out ahead of time, so yeah, I guess our prayers aren't going to change the outcome.
This is a good reminder right now- I just found out a friend might lose her baby (her 2nd miscarriage).
My sweet dear sister, thank you so very much for your insight to prayer. I have been having a hard time with it myself. So many people I know think that alot of prayer can change the outcome to what ever you are praying about but I do not. There was a woman at church who was in a similar situation as you with your tumor. And the whole church got together and we prayed that it was not cancer. Well it wasn't and she thanked everyone for all of thier prayers. If not for them she surly would have cancer. I thought this was kinda wierd. Then Jim died and I asked why. WHY him? You let D live. I prayed for her and she is still here and I prayed for Jim and he is GONE??? What makes the two differnt? So I have come to believe that what is is. We can not change the out come of anything by prayer. But like you said...we can pray for comfort, peace, understanding. Thank you for Wednesday/Thursdays questions. I might not always have one but you always teach me something every time! I love you sis! Have a good weekend with K and L and givem a big hug and kiss for me!
Wow!
OK, L ---- I would LOVE to spend time getting to know you better!! And I'm sure T would love to include you on our margarita party!
And ..... I'm a red, though not a dry red, bottle person.
:)
Cami --- Thank you for sharing your thoughts so openly and honestly.
I'm the one who is humbled .... by you and every other person whom I've never "met", who encourage me every day in such an amazing way.
Thank YOU for being a prayer warrior for me.
Melissa --- Wow! Thank you ..... what a wonderful, heart-felt and honest comment.
Not to mention the great pie advice! :)
Elaine --- Thank you for the advice .... I totally wish I had taken that route, but WILL in the future!
KK--- Thank you for what you wrote. It touched my heart. And by the way ..... you are more than welcome to come down and join us for margs anytime!
Carrie -- Thank you, as always for your prayers and encouragement. I am praying for your friend.
And to my lovely sister D ---
I love you so very, very much.
Leslie -- Thank you for keeping up with me, my friend.
Mom -- I love you and can't wait until you see this precious, though whiney, little girl tomorrow!!
JB--- Thank you for sharing what you feel and think. :)
I SO agree on your viewpoint of prayer. My sister's husband would still be alive today, if prayer could change God's mind. Instead, he took him from my sis, leaving her to stumble down this path BEFORE my mother, then I followed her. We are closer than ever, having shared these awful times. But what a price to pay, eh? I have been falling behind in my readings and also in writing my own blog. But I will certainly be thinking positive thoughts while you are being "processed" at MDA. Blessings on you, J!
Post a Comment