Monday, February 2, 2009

My Cats are Mocking Me ....

..... which is just one more way that I'm being driven insane.

Saturday night I brought home a bag of peanuts from the Dinner Theatre.  You know, peanuts-in-the-shell-like-baseball-game-peanuts.
The bag was stapled shut.
I sat it on the island.
The next morning I went to church (where I was, thankfully, blessed).
And then I cam home.
To this:

..... all over my house.
It took me a moment to realize what it was ..... and then I just walked around the house, looking at whole peanut shells, parts of peanut shells, out-of-the-shell peanuts, and peanut shell dust.  
All. Over. The. House.

And so I knew, yet again, that even though they KNOW they are not allowed on the counters, that they must count to 5 when they see my car pull out of the driveway ..... and then party hearty on my counters ..... making fun of, and mocking, me.
And then I think I yelled something like, "I hate you!!" ..... to no one in particular since no human or animal of any kind was near.  
Followed by something close to, "I hope you choke on a peanut!!!" 
I'm sure they were upstairs, laughing at me.

And then I started cleaning up peanut pieces ..... which Rigby then heard and came running down the stairs to greet me.  
Funny ...... the moment he saw me picking up peanuts, he froze.  Our eyes locked.  If death rays could have shot of my eyes .... he would be dead.  And he had that knowledge.
After a moment of staring at each other I said, "Don't even THINK about coming near me or into this room!"
And he did not.
In fact, he tucked his tail and ran back up the stairs.
He.Is.Not.A. Total.Idiot.

I'm still finding peanut shells in the house.
I was sitting here, reading my e-mails a moment ago, and I heard the sound of a cat, playing with, and chasing ..... something.
I.Am.Not.A.Total.Idiot.
And so I grabbed the camera.
And snuck up on a stupid feline.  See anything under his paw?  Anything that resembles a peanut?


And then ..... HE saw ME:

And I imagine that the words that ran through his brain at this very moment were, "Oh CRAP!".
Actually, I don't think he thought "crap", but I wanted to keep it somewhat clean.  Notice that he's attempting to hide the peanut under his left paw.

I seem to be having a love/hate relationship with my cats.
And I think their mission is to:  
#1.  Kill me (since they love to run through my legs as I'm descending the stairs).
or .... failing to accomplish #1:
#2:  Drive me insane.  
And no, I'm not being overly dramatic.  These two cats love to take things (my things) and hide them in the house.  They are trying to "gaslight" me.
And it may be working.


So I played tennis today.  "the wait" got into the car with me .... though I made him sit in the back.  
He sat on the bench while I played and I was focused enough on drilling and playing that I didn't pay any attention to him.
And then my cell phone rang.
And his fingers reached across the court to grab my heart .... and my stomach.
And when I ran to answer the phone and saw the phone number was from the hospital, he grabbed even harder, and this time he also grabbed my mind.
When I answered the call, and found out it was a nurse from post-op who was just calling to check on me ....... he didn't loosen his grip.
In fact, he squeezed my heart even harder.

And so I spent the rest of my morning having to take deep breaths every few minutes or so to calm my beating heart.  Which is kind of difficult to do when cold, bony fingers are grasping it.

I totally hate him ..... and he totally loves that.
Hmmmm, sounds like another love/hate relationship ...... only he's the only one who's loving.

Well, that's all for now.
I hope that you checked out the magazine and saw my PUBLISHED piece!  That feels really cool.

If you happen to think about me around 7:00 tonight ..... it would be great if you'd send up a prayer, or twenty.
I'll be leading the Grief Share group and I am a bit overwhelmed.   I need to be able to say the right words, or to not say the wrong words, and to make sure that everyone there gets heard.  And I need peace.  But then ..... that's nothing new.

I may be posting several times a day while "the wait" is hanging out with me.  It's a good distraction and it seems to make him loosen his grip just a bit.


14 comments:

M2K2USA said...

Well sis if I could kick the ever livin' crap out of "the wait" I sure as heck would!! I'll be praying for you while I'm in the air on my way back to volcano land!

Love you!
Little Bro

Tri-Vet said...

I have been thinking of "the wait" and it made me think of those Verizon commercials. Have you seen them, the ones where the guy goes to check into the hotel and the desk clerk is acting all spooky because there is a dead zone in the area, and then the guy looks back to see the whole Verizon network people with the main guy, who says, no problem, we have you covered, or something to that effect. And then the desk people are totally deflated. Well, that is what I think of "the wait". He is there and trying to scare the pants off of you and all of us who love you, whether we know you or not, and thank goodness I do, but anyway, we are all standing behind you when you turn around and so then you look back and smirk at "the wait" and then he/it is all deflated that he can't scare you with all of us around to support you. OK, so that was really long, and I hope you know what commercials I am talking about, otherwise this just sounds like some really long crazy rant, but just wanted to tell you that we all "have you covered"!

Love, Melanie

Unknown said...

Can I just say something? You are freaking hilarious!!! The cat story CRACKS me up (as a cat woner myself). Oh yes, animals are sneaky. Matt told me a story about having pet baby squirrels as a kid. They had a little box they were supposed to stay in. As soon as he'd get home from school, he'd walk in the door and they'd ZIIIP run like a flash of lightning and stand at the edge of their box staring all innocently at him. LOL. Have you read Eat Pray Love? The personification of "the wait" reminds me of her description of her depression in one of the chapters in Italy.

Unknown said...

Oh wow I found the article! That is soooo cool!! When did you submit this? How exciting!!!!

Janine said...

Wendee ---
Yes, it is a bit exciting. He chose that article from my blog ..... on his own.
And no, I have not read ELP, but I have it and want to read it when I can.

Janine said...

Melanie,
That was great. I am so thankful that I have a "network" and that you are in it.
:)
Thank you for that picture.

Anonymous said...

Good evening my darling daughter. Wow, Dr. M. . .well said! That was great. And so true. We are all out here holding you up and loving you. And I'm sure the prayers are non-stop.

Little Rigby is such a hoot! We laughed a lot at that picture of him with the peanut under his paw.

We love you very, very much.

kikibibi said...

I've just spent the last several days finding time to read every post on your blog, beginning til now. Please don't be icked out by a stalker - your words are engrossing and touching and inspiring. Many many tears have been shed, and prayer prayer prayer in your direction. I will not stop praying for you and all your kids.
Thank you for your honesty.
Peace, kk

Anonymous said...

I so think there's some kind of sermon illustration in M's analogy--excellent!

Janine said...

kikibibi,
I would never be icked out (by the way .... I love that phrase and am SO going to start using it!) by anyone who reads my blog.
ESPECIALLY someone like you .... who hurts with, and prays for, me.
Thank you.

Unknown said...

I think you will enjoy Eat Pray Love! It's one of my all time favorite books. She reminds me of me in a lot of ways, as a writer who travels the world, and in love is - as she describes it, a cross between a golden retriever and a barnacle. LOL. :)

purejoy said...

ohmygoodness. i laughed, i cried, and i peed just a tiny bit when i saw the picture of your cat caught in a "CRAP!"
love your writing, love your heart (even when it's being squeezed), and i think i love your family.
what a sweet post. thanks for sharing, and remember, i'm in the backseat with WAIT. and i'll elbow him if i get the chance.

Amanda Towne said...

you've probably seen this before, but it makes me (a cat owner) laugh every time I read it:

EXCERPTS FROM A DOG'S DIARY

Day number 180
8:00 am - OH BOY! DOG FOOD! MY FAVORITE!
9:30 am - OH BOY! A CAR RIDE! MY FAVORITE!
9:40 am - OH BOY! A WALK! MY FAVORITE!
10:30 am - OH BOY! A CAR RIDE! MY FAVORITE!
11:30 am - OH BOY! DOG FOOD! MY FAVORITE!
12:00 noon - OH BOY! THE KIDS! MY FAVORITE!
1:00 pm - OH BOY! THE YARD! MY FAVORITE!
4:00 pm - OH BOY! THE KIDS! MY FAVORITE!
5:00 PM - OH BOY! DOG FOOD! MY FAVORITE!
5:30 PM - OH BOY! MOM! MY FAVORITE!

Day number 181
8:00 am - OH BOY! DOG FOOD! MY FAVORITE!
9:30 am - OH BOY! A CAR RIDE! MY FAVORITE!
9:40 am - OH BOY! A WALK! MY FAVORITE!
10:30 am - OH BOY! A CAR RIDE! MY FAVORITE!
11:30 am - OH BOY! DOG FOOD! MY FAVORITE!
12:00 noon - OH BOY! THE KIDS! MY FAVORITE!
1:00 pm - OH BOY! THE YARD! MY FAVORITE!
4:00 pm - OH BOY! THE KIDS! MY FAVORITE!
5:00 PM - OH BOY! DOG FOOD! MY FAVORITE!
5:30 PM - OH BOY! MOM! MY FAVORITE!

Day number 182
8:00 am - OH BOY! DOG FOOD! MY FAVORITE!
9:30 am - OH BOY! A CAR RIDE! MY FAVORITE!
9:40 am - OH BOY! A WALK! MY FAVORITE!

EXCERPTS FROM A CAT'S DIARY

DAY 752 - My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while I am forced to eat dry cereal. The only thing that keeps me going is the hope of escape, and the mild satisfaction I get from ruining the occasional piece of furniture. Tomorrow I may eat another houseplant.

DAY 761 - Today my attempt to kill my captors by weaving around their feet while they were walking almost succeeded, must try this at the top of the stairs. In an attempt to disgust and repulse these vile oppressors, I once again induced myself to vomit on their favorite chair ... must try this on their bed.

DAY 765 - Decapitated a mouse and brought them the headless body, in attempt to make them aware of what I am capable of, and to try to strike fear into their hearts. They only cooed and condescended about what a good little cat I was...Hmmm. Not working according to plan.

DAY 768 - I am finally aware of how sadistic they are. For no good reason I was chosen for the water torture. This time however it included a burning foamy chemical called "shampoo." What sick minds could invent such a liquid. My only consolation is the piece of thumb still stuck between my teeth.

DAY 771 - There was some sort of gathering of their accomplices. I was placed in solitary throughout the event. However, I could hear the noise and smell the foul odor of the glass tubes they call "beer". More importantly I overheard that my confinement was due to MY power of "allergies." Must learn what this is and how to use it to my advantage.

DAY 774 - I am convinced the other captives are flunkies and maybe snitches. The dog is routinely released and seems more than happy to return. He is obviously a half-wit. The bird on the other hand has got to be an informant, and speaks with them regularly. I am certain he reports my every move. Due to his current placement in the metal room his safety is assured. But I can wait, it is only a matter of time...

Janine said...

Amanda,
You made me laugh out loud .... here at work and so I'm trying very hard to cover my mouth without choking to death!
Thank you for the laugh.