
...... all within a few hours. I thought of this title, which made me think of the masks, and then remembered that I had these pictures. I wish they were bigger but since I stole them off of Daughter #3's Facebook site, I guess I can't complain. Anyway, the point was the masks ..... the girls are a bonus.
It's interesting that, in spite of my most Herculean effort, a day can go south quite quickly.
It started off well. I had a long quiet time with God, which is always good (when I take the time to do it).
Then I started to get ready to go into work for just a bit and for a meeting.
As I grabbed my purse on my way out the door I heard my phone make the sound it makes when I get a voice mail. Evidently I had missed a call.
So I dug my phone out of my bottomless purse .... a feat in, and of, itself ..... and listened to the message (I didn't recognize the number).
It was from our accountant. He told me that the income tax forms for "the estate" would be finished today so could I drive into Houston (one of my all-time favorite activities .... not) and sign everything? This afternoon? Cuz ..... um ...... they're due tomorrow.
And there went the day. Well, it really just started heading south at that point.
Let me explain before it sounds like I'm just whining.
It wasn't the drive, though that did add to it. I hate the traffic and I really hate how much my hip hurts in a car ..... the movement and the way that seatbelt goes right on top of my incision ... yes indeed. But it wasn't that.
It wasn't that it was a bunch of tax forms (because really, those words just make my brain shut off ..... or sound a whole lot like Charlie Brown's teacher ..... "wah, wah, wah .....").
It was ..... it just was.
The last time I was in that office was about a year ago. Back when everything was, and remains, a bit blurry. Back when I sat in several offices and cried in front of complete strangers who wore suits and ties .... attorneys, accountants, bankers, etc. Lots and lots and lots of meetings. And lots and lots and lots of tears.
A time I do not like to look back on.
So hearing his voice and realizing that I would have to go back there .... in a matter of hours, alone (due to the short notice) made my heart hurt.
I did go into work for a couple of hours ..... which is almost always good for me. I was able to stay distracted for a while.
And then I came home and puttered around the house for a bit ..... trying to ignore the huge lump in my throat, behind my eyes, and in my heart.
I left the house at 2:30 for the 3:30 meeting (this is, afterall, Houston). The weather was gorgeous ..... which made it a bit harder. My hip always starts hurting worse as the day goes on so the drive hurt ..... my hip and my heart. I teared up on and off during the drive. I really, really didn't want to walk into that office.
But .... in spite of my best efforts .... I managed to get there ..... and I managed to get there about 10 minutes early!
I took a deep breath, got out of the car and walked into the building and into the office. And thus began "the biting of the lip".
I really, really hate crying in front of people .... especially people I don't know. Especially people who I don't know but yet who know me well enough to feel badly for me. And feel badly for the reason that I'm doing business with them.
Our accountant and his assistant came to greet me (early .... yay for them) and took me on the long walk to the back of their office into a "meeting room".
I have also grown to hate those rooms. You know the ones ...... there's a very, very long table and lots and lots of chairs.
In my experience, nothing good has come of sitting in one of those rooms.
There, on the table, were 5 white notebooks.
They were pretty innocuous notebooks, except for the fact that they were rather large.
Each one was tagged with those little stickers that point out where one should sign one's signature (wish I'd thought of that invention!).
The accountant said that there were two ways to handle all of this: #1. I could just sign everything and leave, or #2. They could explain everything that I was signing and then I could sign them and leave.
My first instinct was to pick number 1 because the tears were threatening to pour forth the longer I was there, in spite of my bloody lips. I'm sure that he was hoping that I'd pick #1 because I have no doubt that he remembers our last meeting. Poor guy.
But me, being me ....... decided that I wanted a third option. And he, being a person who's getting money from me .... decided that I would get that third option.
And so I signed everything and they gave me the "short version".
I managed not to cry ..... well, really cry. I did wipe my eyes a few times while trying to look like I was concentrating on my signature AND on listening to him.
It didn't take them long to go through it all .... it really was a quick version. I think I was there for maybe half an hour.
I finished, thanked them both and turned to leave. The assistant stopped me and reminded me that one of these notebooks was mine .... and she handed it to me. I'm sure that she knew I really didn't want it and that I really didn't want to take it from her hands ..... but there are times when you have to take a deep breath and act like an adult.
Well, at least it does from the back.
Here's the front of the notebook .... the front of all 5 notebooks:
Yep ..... right there in black and white. Like I needed to be reminded that he's "Deceased".
And so it was another "end". Another signature on another line that proves what I sometimes still cannot grasp ..... he really is dead ..... this really is my life.
The estate has been closed, the taxes have been done ...... the endless papers have been signed.
The notebook and I didn't quite make it to the elevator before the tears started full force. Fortunately it was a quiet building and no one was around me.
I sobbed all the way to the car and then sat in the car, with the notebook sitting next to me, sobbing.
I tried to stop sobbing enough to remember how to get back to the freeway, listening to my GPS, which obviously had not been told that the entrance was closed and so there's a new detour entrance (oh sweet technology!).
Fortunately there were a couple of nice drivers who let me get into the lane I needed to be in so that I could continue in the right direction.
I was listening to music from my iPod ..... so that I could listen to all of my "belt it" Broadway tunes and hopefully be distracted.
Just as I was trying to change lanes and get onto the free way .... a song from one of my most favorite shows, "Wicked", started.
I was struggling to move over and onto the freeway and my eyes were too blurry for me to pick up the iPod to either turn it off or change the song. I had to focus on the cars around me and not hitting one of them.
And so I listened to this song ....... and sobbed so hard I probably should have pulled over (but again, this IS Houston and by now the traffic was starting to get heavy .... sobbing seemed like the better choice).
I love this song .... it's always touched me deeply. But now ...... now it touches me deeply and painfully.
It's called "For Good" ...... it's between two people who are saying goodbye to each other.
Here are the lyrics:
I've heard it said,
That people come into our lives for a reason,
Bringing something we must learn
And we are led ...
To those who help us most to grow...
If we let them...
And we help them in return.
Well, I don't know if I believe that's true
But I know I'm who I am today
Because I knew you:
Like a comet pulled from orbit
As it passes a sun
Like a stream that meets a boulder
Halfway through the wood;
Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you ...
I have been changed for good.
It well may be
That we will never meet again...
In this lifetime,
So let me say before we part ...
So much of me ...
Is made of what I learned from you ...
You'll be with me
Like a handprint on my heart.
And now whatever way our stories end ...
I know you have re-written mine
By being my friend:
Bringing something we must learn
And we are led ...
To those who help us most to grow...
If we let them...
And we help them in return.
Well, I don't know if I believe that's true
But I know I'm who I am today
Because I knew you:
Like a comet pulled from orbit
As it passes a sun
Like a stream that meets a boulder
Halfway through the wood;
Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you ...
I have been changed for good.
It well may be
That we will never meet again...
In this lifetime,
So let me say before we part ...
So much of me ...
Is made of what I learned from you ...
You'll be with me
Like a handprint on my heart.
And now whatever way our stories end ...
I know you have re-written mine
By being my friend:
Like a ship blown from its mooring
By a wind off the sea;
Like a seed dropped by a skybird
In a distant wood;
Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you ...
Because I knew you ...
I have been changed for good.
Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
I do believe I have been changed for the better.
And ... because I knew you ...
Because I knew you...
Because I knew you...
I have been changed for good.
Surprised I made it home?
Me, too.
But thankfully, ironically enough ...... it's not a short drive so I had time to become calmer as I drove.
And then ...... (psssssst---- here's where the comedy part comes in ..... I couldn't just leave you with THAT!) .......
...... just as I was approaching the exit to our community ..... a song came on that never fails to make me smile. In fact, it never fails to make me grin. I LOVE this song.
Not because it's supposed to be funny ..... because it's not ..... not at all.
But because I love to think of all of the people who abhor this song and love to picture them listening to it.
The thousands and thousands of pure-bred, feminist, chest-thumping women .......
I find that picture hilarious, for some reason. Not because I agree with the song ..... no way! But ....... well, just because, I guess.
Or maybe, because I'm a little strange.
It has nothing to do with anything about my day ..... other than the fact that it made me smile and made my day start going a bit north.
And north, even just a few degrees, is much, much better than south (at least in the direction of my days).
And so ...... my peeps ............ I give you .........
Tammy Wynette!
P.S. Don't forget that tomorrow is "Ask Me Wednesday" ........ think up a question as you listen to Tammy.
:)
P.P.S. I'm pondering showing you all a picture of my awesome scar!!!
22 comments:
Good evening my darling daughter. I am so sad that I wasn't there to drive you into Houston. I wish you would have called me. I could have been there in an hour, you know. I'm sorry you had such a difficult day. I love you so much.
Mom --- it's OK. It' over ... and Tammy made me smile .... THAT'S what you were supposed to take away! Thank you .... I love you. :)
Hi J,
Sorry about today. I can't tell you how many times T and I talk about it not being real that Jim is gone. You are a force - getting to that meeting, getting through it, and getting home without even a scratch on the car! You are the best blurry driver I've ever heard of! :) Tammy can sure belt out a tune can't she?
On the scar thing - could you just set up a link for us queasy, wimpy folks? I would then go out of my way NOT to click it!
Love you,
AEW
AW --- setting up a link ..... that's a GREAT idea! Too bad I don't know how to do it! I shall have to go investigate .....
Okay, I have a few comments, but only on the comedy part because the tragedy was oh, so very sad and made my heart break for you.
When I was about three years old (I only know this story because it was repeated many times througout my childhood) my mom was asked to sing a "special" at church. She was told to pick a hymn and then she would practice it with the church pianist. I suggested that she sing "Stand By Your Man" because it was my favorite song. After all, don't all three year olds know Tammy Wynette's whole play list? My mom, supposedly, laughed the idea off and chose "Amazing Grace." When she stood up at church to sing, I, supposedly, stood up in protest that she was not singing "Stand By Your Man."
Next point, I really think that for one day a week, or maybe each month, we should all style our hair like Tammy Wynette. Some may find it laughable but there is an artistry to wearing a platinum helmet with a pink sequinned dress. Not everyone can pull it off but it certainly would be fun if we all tried.
Anna, Ted & Chelsey are at Wicked on Broadway tonight!!!!! Anna was soooooooooooo excited to get the tickets.
My heart is with you, those letters on the folder really do jump out don't they?
May God's arms enfold you and hold you tight!
Love you,
Mary
Mary -- How cool for them!!!!!! It's a a great theatre!! Wish I was with them!
Tamara ..... Crack. Me. UP!!!!! OK, if you can get my hair to look like that then I'll dang sure put the pink dress on!!!!
:)
The Notebook...T.A.N.W.
I think the other day you wrote about "God-things." Was hearing Tammy W. a "god-thing?"
JB
wow--had never heard that wicked song before...lyrics are quite powerful. glad you got to end the drive with tammy.
question for wednesday: i love the way your mom addresses you in these comments. so the question, has she always "spoken" to you in this way?
I am sorry for your bad day, I am still praying for you daily! God Bless you sweetie!
Tressa
Dear J,
Seeing Tammy tonight made me think of Porter Wagner, Dolly Parton and "boxes of Breeze". Unfortunately, I can not remember what you could only find in boxes of Breeze. So that is part of my Wednesday question, because I know you have a mind like a steel trap and I'm too lazy to google tonight! Keeping with the seventies, what was your favorite 70's band? For me it's ELO - puffy hair, crazy costumes and all.
Peace,
AEW
As soon as you said you were listening to Wicked, I knew the song you were going to say. Amazing.
Seeing the notebook is shocking to me...can't imagine your feelings.
Sending hugs.
Wow! And you made it home, no small accident? That would have not happened for me. There would have been a pile up on the highway and it would have been on the news for all the world to see. A red nosed woman to blame! Had to laugh at the Tammy video, I see why your day went a tad north! Way to go Tammy! Love you tons sis!
I see how much healing that has occured in you over the past year through this post. The fact that you had such deep deep sorrow and didn't just shut down with that but heard "Tammy" to make you smile is tremendous! I realize it wasn't the top of the mountain with "Tammy" but it was a step out of the depths. You know what I mean? Girl, you just keep moving forward, the words to that Wicked song are perfect aren't they. What a tribute to Jim at how well you are living your life because of all that he gave to you. The unconditional love and strength he must have given you is so evident in how you write about every mention of him!
Question for Wednesday: What do you do about a 100 lb. dog that has the worst gas problem? Some are silent and others are loud but all of them can clear a room! Are you using anything on your scar to minimize it so you can still wear your thong bikini? (Whoops maybe not everyone knows about your swimsuit attire)
Love you,
Julie
"it's so hard, being a woman"
just know that you are not the only one to shed tears while driving in the car. i find that the most therapeutic place...especially with the right music on. lots of tears shed in my cars through my life, for sure.
lastly,..while i love Tammy...she looks like an alien in this video! yikes! her weird shaped body in that dress and her hair?! it's a good thing she has an amazing voice cause...could she sing any Sllllooooowwwweerrrrrr?
Thanks (once again) for sharing your tears and your laughter with us. I was amazed (not being familiar with Wicked, but reading the lyrics all the way through) at how much they even applied to me and to my experiences. I guess it really is true that "people come into our lives for a reason". Maybe his (my own situation) was to make me recognize how strong I can be, how strong I truly am. And even tho' I may sometimes style myself as a bit of a feminist, I DO love Tammy Wynette and Stand By Your Man!
Thanks once again. And you did a very difficult task - all by yourself - proving how strong YOU are. {{HUGS}}
1. I love that picture of my roomies. hahaaaaaa
2. Seriously?!?! Why do they do that to you??? You'd think someone...just SOMEONE...would make this easier for you. What. Punks.
3. That song...wow. Definitely my next solo.
4. Show the scar. Do it.
5. And my question: What do you feel like is the best way to deal with anxiety?
Oh how I understand those "notebooks". I have three at home that came from my attorney and accountant. I understand, I really do. The worst for me was standing in front of the judge at probate court...all I had to do was answer "yes" to every question and it was all I could do not to sob....tears silently streamed down my face the entire time....so thankful all those hurdles have been crossed...
Love the song...thanks for the post!
I appreciated this post. It shows how God is with you and taking care of you and working in your life and in your heart. Made me think about your post and the "God-thing". It was really, really hard to have to go and sign and do all that you did, but you did get thru it and He was right there with you and even crying while you were driving, He protected you and kept you safe and then He gave you the two songs...and the last one made you smile...I just see Him as being all over your day. That is what your words said to me in this post. I pray He is blessing your day today as well. He blessed mine by reading this post.
Ask Me Wednesday...What did you do with your kids on Spring Break and in the summer. Did they occupy themselves since there are so many of them? Did you put them in camps? Did they whine at your feet every ten minutes to let you know how bored they were?
WOW what a day. i can't even imagine how you made it home!! great lyrics. great memory for you, even though it's painful.
congrats on another day. one step at a time.
and rock on with that scar.
it's a picture of healing.
press on!
Well, this is my first on your site...but the Tammy Wynnette posting was hilarious. As an old time lover of c/w AND Tammy, I cranked up the volume and sang along!
Uh - not sure now how to 'choose an identity?!...how far back can I go?? Am I 'anonymous'? OK - whatever?!
xoxo
ct
Post a Comment