Another "Jim in deep thought" picture ..... one day I must post a whole slew of them. I think that in this instance his thoughts were less focused on the Roman museum and priceless artifacts we were about to visit, and more about how lucky he was to have an amazing wife who loved him enough to drag his (and his 5 children's -- to meet the first child) butt from the warm Christmas of Texas to the frozen tundra of Rome .... all in the quest of trying to fill him/them with just a bit of culture ---- he was amazed that she loved him THAT much ......

Not much to say today.
It's been a quiet day.
Not a bad day.
Just quiet.
Church was good.
Friends are good.
Kids are good.
There ya go.
Since it's been so quiet .... I must think of a question ..... it's time to hear from you ......
..... let's see ........
ahhhh ...... here we go ...............
If you could be/do any profession in the world, other than what you are currently doing ...... what would it be/have been?
And ...... why?
Discuss amongst yourselves ..... and consider it the gift of distraction .......
:)
30 comments:
Fun question... I don't comment often, but always check in and keep you in my prayers. Oh lets see.... I think about this question often. I am a stay at home Mom and I love what I do. if I could do anything else.... I'd want to go into the field of helping others in some way.... I have pondered some sort of social work, nutrition and even serving some sort of mission to help out somewhere that might really need me. I've even pondered the medical profession, but figured I just don't have that in my blood - so that is out! Most of these things are things that just don't work at this point in my life, but if I were single, unattached and able I think these are the routes I'd pursue. I actually am planning on starting back to school next semester... so that I can work towards a degree. For now though... I am just focusing on being the best Mom I can.
elliebelle -- thanks for commenting! And ... thanks for reading and praying. I can see through your words that you are, indeed, a great mom. You have a big heart .... and I hope that when you start school in the fall it goes smoothly for you. The world needs more people with big hearts.
I'm glad we "met" ---
Janine
I think I've been at that exact spot (in the picture.) Is it on the Capitoline Hill above the Forum?
Al
Al,
No ... sorry, not the exact spot .... though in Rome it's difficult to tell one spot from another!
It was in the Borghese Gardens on Pincian Hill, close to the Borghese Gallery --- one of my favorite places we visited.
But ... it was on a hill .... in Rome ..... so you were close!
Hmmm...any profession? Well, I'm a full-time SAHM, and I also bring my son to work with me part-time...I'm looking forward to quitting my camp office manager job in the end of August, and being JUST a full-time SAHM...that's 'all' I've wanted to do since I was a child. I have a degree in elementary education, because I figured that if I wasn't going to get married & have babies (which was/is my true calling), I might as well be around kids all day. :) So I guess if I HAD to have a different job, I would teach preschool - I did that for a year before Z came along, and I loved it. :) Looking forward to starting pre-preschool stuff with him this fall- he'll be 2 in December. Am I over-eager or what??? :)
Hey Janine,
I think if I could do anything (I'm currently a stay at home, homeschooling mom to 3, and a director with The Pampered Chef), I'd train to be a doula, and help new moms in labor and for their first few days at home. Then I could leave. LOL
I've had 4 kids, but never watched someone give birth, and I think it would be cool. :)
I always wanted to be a teacher--a first grade teacher--while they are young and eager to learn and so much to learn. I love little kids that age and younger--they are so honest in what they say and simple in what they need.
Dear Janine,
I'd like to earn a living doing something creative. Accounting was NOT a good fit for me! I used to plaster a smile on my face when problems came up - everone at work thought I had an awesome attitude but I just wanted to scream. Many days after work I would buy a lottery ticket and a newspaper for the want ads.
The job that would incorporate a lot of things I like would be photographer for a quilting magazine or Martha Stewart. I love color and texture and taking photos of mundane, everday things and flowers. I recently pulled out the quilts I am working on (at a snail's pace), my tatting, Grandma's tatting, her button box, crocheting, notions etc and laid them in front of our bedroom window where the light was good. I hung over the side of my bed with a fish eye lens and took a collage photo. I had SO much fun, the picture turned out great and none of the inanimate objects uttered a single word of protest or complained that I was taking too long!
Thanks for asking. It's something I have thought about and I enjoy thinking about.
What's your dream job?
Love you,
Ann
If you want to you can save this for AMW - I know you have dreamed of theatre and acting. Would you have headed East or West? And is your dream job today the same as when you were younger?
Love,
Ann
Ann,
Wow. Please send me those pics, OK? I'd love to see them .... especially because of Grandma E's tatting.
That woman's hands were amazing!
As for my dream job ..... I have two ..... the first, of course, would be an actress; the second, maybe also of course, would be a L&D nurse. Or a mid-wife.
Wait! I have a third one .... Super-Nanny!!!!
I love you, my sister ...... and am serious about wanting to see those pictures!
My dream job is that I would love to be a singer!! But EVERYONE I know would really disagree!! Another dream job that I am going to actually be working towards is to be a pre school teacher. This fall I am going back to school!! I do daycare now, so I feel that this is a great job for me!!
I am glad you had a good day!
Tressa
Tressa --- Yay for you!!! How exciting that you're going back to school to be a pre-school teacher!! What a great age to teach!
It's great to know what you want to do and then be able to go for it.
Thanks for commenting!
well, i want to say wife and mother but so that doesn't count for two...i'll say homemaker and you'll know what i mean. ;) and i don't say that negatively or with melancholy. :P i hope, dream and pray...one day!!! :D
I guess my dream job would be a singer. I have always loved to sing. But loving to sing and being able to do it as a pro are two TOTALLY different things. So being a SAHM works for me, don't pay as good but the rewards are wonderful. Love you tons Janine! Hope you have a great week.
I would love to be an artist...and since it's MY dream I won't be a STARVING artist in it, either! I'd love to be able to stay home with my children, create things all day, and still have money in the bank! Ah, money. That it wouldn't always come down to that...
Thanks for the distraction! I think I'll throw a little bit more creativity into my days...even if I still have an actual job to return to each Monday.
A dream job...as in your parents never told you to choose a major wisely while in college?
I'd design sets on Broadway.
Seriously!
Dawn, You'll sing, I'll act and
Beverly will design the set!!! And
Jen will help!!!!
We can always dream.... :)
I'll take your publicity shots! You're not flowers and DEFINITELY not mundane, but I'm willing to stretch as an artist!
Ann
Yay Dawn, Beverly, and Jen ...we have a photographer!!
Now all we need is an agent .... anyone???
Hey Janine! First I wanted to say I love the pictures of Jim. He always looks so contemplative and it makes you wonder what he was thinking. He has such a presence in pictures even!
Secondly, I LOVE what I do now, but I would also love to be a human plastic surgeon! That would be so cool! Surgery is just in my blood I guess!
Love Ya!
Melanie
a travel writer...who gets to go to exotic places and someone else pays...would write about nice hotels, or cheap hotels...good food or lousy food...fun stuff to do or stuff that's a waste of time or money...just so long as someone else is paying. or a published author. hmmm.
Thinking...
I really can't say that I would do anything differently as far as a profession. I totally love what I do. I homeschool my 3 girls and teach math at a college part-time. I love every second of my life, even the seconds that suck. It is still my life to love and God chose it for me and me alone.
I would however like to live near the beach again. Before we had our kids we lived about 20 minutes from the ocean and it was so refreshing to see the sun rise and set.
I think i will go right now and tell my kids about some of those memories. Thanks for getting me thinking.
Blessings,
Kathy
Janine:
When I was young (a looooong time ago, he, he) I wanted to be a dancer. I would constantly dance around my home. One day I spun around too much, got extremely dizzy, and fell into the edge of a table. Needless to say, I was quickly taken to the doctor with a gash under my eye. I would also "choreograph" Christmas music and drag my youngest sister around doing it, much to her chagrin. But I never became a dancer. I never really had a dream job per se -- I knew I always wanted to be a Mom (I guess that IS a dream job). Now after George's death, I am trying to figure out what I want to be "when I grow up". Ugh, never thought I would be in this position -- no direction as to what to do. Hey, I can be the "dancer?" in your group (that would be a sight) as long as I don't spin too much and bust my face again. :)
Great post -- made me smile!
With much love and prayer,
Beth in NC
OK, Beth is dancing AND choreographing!! I wonder if Susan would write the play???
Still looking for an agent ......
You need an agent? That's my "secret want-to-be"... a foreign service agent... aka CIA. Silly huh? Became a wife and mom instead. Not the same kind of agent you're talking about.
My other "secret job" is this: back when "The View" started, '98?, they were open-casting for "the young one." I think that was the Lisa Ling spot. My friends submitted my name for it, but I never got called to audition. I have always wondered how that might have turned out.
On a different note, I wanted everyone to know that I finally talked to my mom last Thurs - need to call again soon. She treated me with kid gloves, and didn't say anything about how long it'd been since we talked. It was interesting because I talked to 2 of my sisters before, and they said she was in a bad mood and had yelled a them. She was totally nice to me, I think grateful I'd called. My son called her separately and talked for 20 min, and that was good too. I'm confused why she was so nice to me and not to my sisters, but will not question it, just be happy. Thanks for your prayers and encouragement. Keep praying though, ok?
kikibibi ..... LOL at the secret agent. You totally have to be somewhat of a secret agent to be a mom!!!
And I'm glad you talked to your mom .... and that it went well. And I'm glad that you're not questioning the outcome, but just going with it. Good for you. Good for your mom.
And of course ..... we will keep praying.
Cuz that's what we do.
:)
I know this is cheesy but I absolutely love what I do!! (for those who don't know that would be science/enviro/travel writer who goes to exotic places) and book author :) but I'd just be making a lot more money at it. LOL. I also love psychology and would love to help people in sort of life coaching or something, or possibly help the homeless and eliminate world poverty. Lofty goals I know. And maybe one day run for President! :) And I'm sure no one here would vote for me since I'd be a Democrat! :) LOL. Do you think I have too many interests, perchance?
Oh My Gosh!! I was laughing so hard at the thought of all of this I almost wet myself!!!! To funny but hey...I'm in!!
Somedays I wish that I was one of those people who stand on the side of the road before road construction holding the stop sign. I'm sure they get paid by the hour, have government benefits, and no pressure. When they go home, they probably never have doubts about whether or not they did a good job. They probably never wonder if they made a difference. They can go home and just "be" with their families. No stress. Just be.
Good afternoon my darling daughter. OK. . .I was going to let this pass, then decided. . .What the heck. You know, everybody has to say What The "Heck" every once in a while.
;0 There's three things that sound really fun to me: A "successful" Professional Poker Player (on tv and the whole shebang!)
A "Paid" Movie Critic or
A "Paid" Food Critic! The latter sounds like the most fun. Imagine! Being paid to eat!
I'm really deep, you know. Oh, and I COULD be an agent if I put my mind to it!
I love you bunches.
Post a Comment