Monday, April 20, 2009

A Surprise Improvement

     This is a picture of Daughter #1, with our friend and Pastor, our friend and Youth Director, and Jim and me ...... May 1999 (if you want to see an enlarged version just click on the picture):

                
     So this morning I was rudely awakened at 8:00 (yes, I should have been up before 7:00, but my internal clock is still broken .... which is too depressing to talk about), by the floor guys.  They informed me that they were here to "do" my bedroom floor.
Ummmmmm ...... huh?!
It would seem that this information was known to everyone involved .... but me.
Kind of like the information that the men would be staining the stairs on Saturday ..... while I was out of town ..... and I was supposed to tell them what color to use.
My poor mom was here to hold down the fort and had no idea what was going on.  Neither did I when she called.
Sigh.
So I just made a quick decision and then let it go.
     This morning I grabbed what I could from my closet .... not knowing when I'd be let back into my room, and then left for tennis, a free and wonderful facial, and then work.

     And then I came home ..... to find the men finishing up my room.  Wow.  That seemed very quick.
I hope it sticks!
It looks great.
I spent the next hour or so putting the room back in order.

Here are some pics for you to feel like you're right here with me:

       This is my living room .... the pile in the middle of the room seems to be growing and changing each day:
       
                       Here are the now-stained stairs:

                            Here is my finished bedroom floor ... this was taken with flash:

                     This was taken without flash .... the color is somewhere in the middle:

      So at least I have one room that looks relatively good.  The rest of the house is a dump .... or covered with dump dust.
     I'm beginning to hate this house.  Part of it is the mess, of course.  But most of it is that it's too much house without Jim.
Of course, I don't think I'd love any sized house at the moment ...... any would be lonely without Jim.  I don't remember feeling this way last year .... but I really hate the evenings now.  Loathe them.  I used to look forward to evenings at home ..... when there was no meeting scheduled, no place to be, no kid-activity to run to.  I coveted my time at home in the evenings.
Now they are just long hours stretched out before me ...... quiet, lonely hours.
I hate them.
Oh well.

    I'm going to borrow a quote I found on Juliana's blog ..... it says so much:
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live."—Norman Cousins

     In other news ..... Stellan is scheduled for surgery tomorrow morning.  You know what to do.


Daughter #2 sent me this Youtube link ---  for some reason Youtube won't let it be embedded anymore ..... so you'll have to clink on the link to to watch it.

     And as you watch it ..... you may wonder what I wondered, "Maybe I should've raised my kids in Britain because they sure seem to have a huge amount of talent over there!!!!"

     Enjoy.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm finding a few things different this year than last year too and being surprised about it. i didn't find many relationships alter last year...but have this year. i bought my house and felt settled...for two months...now i'm wondering if i can stay here long term. i never considered building a new life elsewhere...now i'm wondering if it's the only option. strange, the changes.

wondle said...

Ahhh, the joys of remodeling!! I swore I'd never, ever, ever do it again. Hmmm, we're on our 2nd house of almost gutting. [The first remodel project almost ended in d.c. (that's code in our house for divorce court)]. It was bad!

However, being the owner of a hard surface flooring company & wife of a floor guy I have to say your room looks spectacular. You'll love having it in the bedroom. I wasn't sure about no carpet in the bedroom at first but now, I'd have it no other way.

We actually have only 3 rooms of carpet in our house [both kids bedrooms & basement gameroom] and I LOVE it. My son is mad his room has carpet. HA!

As for the dust....hire someone! You deserve it!!!! ;)

Juliana said...

Your house looks great!

I went back and read many of your previous blogs when my brother passed last weekend. I cannot tell you how much what you wrote helped me get through this last week.

Janine said...

Juliana,
I'm so sorry about your brother ..... so very sorry. I went over and read your blog. I'm sorry about the pain you're having to go through.
But thank you ..... that in your pain you reached out to let me know that I helped.
That makes my pain ease up a bit.
Janine

kdawnmartin said...

Love the floors Janine! They look great! Can't wait to see the finished product. Love you tons chicky!

Nat said...

I love all of the home improvements especially the wood floors and stairs. I am praying that when all of the renovation is done, you will enjoy your evenings at home again.
Love you!

Anonymous said...

A question for ask me Wednesday.

How did you handle dating/boys with your girls? I still have a couple of years but want to be prepared. Would it be too strange if we required the young man to visit with us before he takes out our daughter?

Lisa B.

Anonymous said...

Janine, The quote by Norman Cousins is so true, and my nights are just as yours. LONG and LONELY. I am hoping that will pick up here with our twins having their first baseball game on the 5th. It's going to be sweet sorrow, I'm afraid. I'm looking forward to the sun and warmth and watching the boys play, but it will be without their father. Can't there ever be anything without a "but" and then the sadness it brings? Hugs to you, Lorry