Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Ask Me Wednesday!!


Happy Wednesday, my Peeps!

What a day.
What a week.
And .... it's only Wednesday!

I spent most of the morning cleaning up around here and putting things back in order.
My house is finally starting to look like my home.
Here are the latest pictures:


     The stair railings are now stained!




     I wanted to share with you a few plaques that I treasure.  
This one sits under the shelves in the above picture ..... right in the middle of many, many pictures.  I love it (stole the idea from my friend, A) and it says so very much:


     This is one that a friend from church gave to me.  It touched me deeply when she gave it ... and when I read it:

     And this is one that my brother and sister got for me when they went to a family wedding in California.  It also touched me deeply ..... 


     
     So my house is shaping up!  Slowly but surely.

     Today was my last day to go in to work before I go out of town.  It's been busy lately there, but that's mostly a good thing.   This week was a bit overwhelming, with trying to get everything done that needed to be done before I could leave, and realizing that I haven't done a thing to prepare for the trip (other than get my visa, which actually is pretty huge, so yay for that!).
     Speaking of my trip ..... and Russia ..... I am not taking my computer.  And my iPhone offers no data plan in Russia.
    I.    KNOW!!!!
I will be like a heroin addict without the heroin.
I will need lots and lots of prayers!
I am hoping that Daughter #1's computer will be able to keep me in touch ...... at least a little. Her internet there is very spotty, so we shall see.
     I have added the international Twitter number to my phone (yes, I added international roaming --- don't need a repeat of the Kenya bill!) so I hope and pray that will work to keep you all updated.  If it works,  just check the Twitter app on my right sidebar.  I will update it often, like when I arrive and when I'm doing something totally cool, so I hope it works.
I will also set it to update my Facebook, so if you need to "friend" me before I leave, please do.

     Daughter #1 says that she will be free as of the 22nd, unless she's being lied to ..... again.
We will then head to St. Petersburg on an overnight train to stay for a few days.  Still don't have a hotel reservation, but what the heck.
While in Moscow I will be staying in a room in her dorm.
Yep .... a dorm.
With a community bathroom.
Daughter #1 values cheapness.
Her mother ..... at the ripe old age of 48, values comfort ...... especially with a sore hip (that will most likely be very sore after the plane ride and after walking all over Moscow and St. Petersburg), but I am going along with it.
I'm happy to be in the same building that she's in ...... and heck, I've stood over a hole in the ground that's called a "rest room" in Kenya ..... I figure I can swing a Russian dorm room.
I will be taking lots and lots of pics.

     I checked the weather last week and the highs were in the 70's.  Nice.
I checked today and the highs are in the low 60's.  And the lows are in the low 40's.  Not so nice.
I am a bit clueless as how to pack, except to think in layers ...... without overloading a suitcase. I'm only taking one suitcase (and a backpack) so hopefully I can make it work.
Ummmmm ..... that means that you are not to notice, nor make comments, when you find that I'm wearing the same clothes in several pictures.
Thank you.

     Here is the promised picture of the "singing nuns" (it's probably a good thing I'm leaving the country ---- or some "nuns" may try to hunt me down!):



     OK, now that I think I've caught you up on everything ..... or at least everything I can think of at the moment ........ on to the questions:

Wendie:
Question: Now that you've got a couple weeks behind you, how do you feel the meds are doing for you?

Wendie,
Thanks for asking ..... I feel that the meds have been a God-send.  I can tell a huge difference and am very thankful.  I think I started them just in time.  
I know that not everyone thinks meds are needed for depression, but I'd love for those people to step inside my body when all I can think of is not being here anymore ..... and then feel the difference a few weeks later on them.  
It is night and day.
I am relieved.



Dawn:
When does Daughter #3 graduate?? I just figured they would do it together. Ya know being twins and all. And are you going to be in T-town the first weekend in October?? For the you know what????? I will! Yippeeeee!

Hi my little sister!
She will graduate in May 2010.  She has to do a full year of student teaching for deaf ed.  
I am hoping to go to T-town in October ...... especially if you'll be there.  You'd better be sure!!!!
I love you!!!!


Wunderwoman:
Can we have recipe for Italian cream cake your daughter made? pretty please;)

OK, since you are not the first person to ask, and Daughter #3 accidentally left the recipe here, I will share (even though it's NOT short!  But I will sacrifice for my Peeps):

5 eggs
1/2 c butter
2 c all-purpose flour
1 t baking soda
1/2 c shortening
2 c sugar
1 t vanilla
1 c buttermilk
1 c flaked coconut
1/2 c finely chopped pecans, toasted
cream cheese frosting
3/4 c copped pecans, toasted

1.  Separate eggs.  Allow egg yolks, egg whites, and butter to stand at room temp for 30 mins.  Meanwhile, grease and flour three 8x1 1/2-inch or 9x1 1/2 -inch round cake pans;  set pans aside.  In a medium bowl combine flour and baking soda;  set aside.

2.  Preheat oven to 350 F.  In an extra-large mixing bowl beat butter and shortening with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds.  Add sugar;  beat until well combined.  Add the egg yolks and vanilla;  beat on med speed until combined.  ALternately add flour mixture and buttermilk to butter mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined.  Fold in coconut and the 1/2 c finely chopped pecans.

3.  Thoroughly wash the beaters.  In a medium mixing bowl beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.  Fold about one-third of the egg whites into cake batter to lighten.  Fold in remaining whites.  Spread batter evenly into the prepared pans.

4.  Bake about 25 mins for 9-inch pans, about 35 mins for 8-inch pans, or until a wooden toothpick inserted near centers comes out clean.  Cool cake layers in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes.  Remove cake layers from pans.  Cool thoroughly on wire racks.  

5.  Place one cake layer, bottom side up, on serving plate.  Spread with about 1/2 c frosting; sprinkle with 1/4 c pecans.  Top with second cake layer, rounded (top) side up.  Spread with 1/2 c frosting and sprinkle with 1/2 c nuts.  Place the remaining cake layer o top, rounded (top) side up; spread top and sides of cake with remaining frosting.  Press remaining nuts into frosting around side of cake.  Store cake in the fridge for up to two days.

There you go.  She also used a home-made cream cheese frosting recipe:

1 8-ounce pkg cream cheese, softened
1/2 c butter softened
2 T vanilla
5 1/2  to 6 c powdered sugar

In a large mixing bowl beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla with an electric mixer on med speed until light and fluffy.  Gradually beat in powdered sugar to reach spreading consistency.  This frosts the tops and sides of two 8 or 9 - inch layers (halve the recipe to frost a 13x9x2 inch cake). Cover and store the frosted cake in the fridge.

Enjoy!!!



Carrie:
Janine, a friend of ours, named Steve, just lost his wife to cancer - they have 6 kids, ranging in age from adults to middle school - will you say a prayer for him - I know you'll know just what to pray. Thank you! :)


Carrie,
You probably didn't mean for this to go on AMW, but I wanted to include it so that everyone else could pray for Steve and his children, too.
I am so very sorry.
And am already praying.
When he's ready ..... if you think it might help ..... feel free to give him the blog site (especially the posts in the beginning of my "after").
And thank you for the honor of asking me to pray for them.

     OK, that will be the last "Ask Me Wednesday" for a few weeks.  That gives you plenty of time to think up some new questions!!

     Tomorrow is another full day .... as well as a full evening.
When I got home tonight I at least pulled out the suitcase, and the back pack.
Little steps, Peeps ...... little steps.

:)


11 comments:

kdawnmartin said...

I will definately be there so you better be! i promise I will be there! Mike knows I am going and is on board! Love you tons and yay! You got the suitcase and backpack out! love you tons big sis!

Anonymous said...

Love the pictures of the remodel!!
It looks so pretty! Will look forward to pics from Moscow! Have a
wonderful time with D1! Love you, Vicki

Janine said...

Hi VIcki!!!!
I was just thinking about you today (and yesterday). I know .... I'm a horrible friend because I never call!!!! But I do think about you very often!!!
And miss and love you!
Ready for a summer visit ..... say ..... in June???
What are you guys doing for the summer?
Love, love, love you!!!!!

Lisanne said...

Hi Sis,
I can't believe you're leaving us for so long and I don't know what I'll do without my daily "Janine Fix". I swear I'm like a junky!
Sooooo...when is going to be a good time for me to come and visit you? I'd like to schedule it in...and I'm actually thinking early Fall or so. You're always so busy...and since I have the little one now, I get to schedule things around him too:) Just give me some possible time frames and we'll go from there!
Have a wonderful trip and be careful...and know that I love you tons and tons!

Lis

Anonymous said...

Hurray for meds. They are gifts from God.

JB

Anonymous said...

We went to St. Peterburg last year. Wonderful. Have a great time. Do not lose your passport or we will never see you again. Almost happen to me.

JT

susan said...

the house looks great, and I LOVE the plaques you showed--perfect!

your trip to Moscow sounds like it's going to be an amazing adventure--looking forward to blog upon blog when you return. really wish you could take your "peeps" with you...and i agree, if you can use a hole in the ground in Kenya, and spend a week with barely flowing water, you can do anything in russia, which is not considered a third world country. (although i'm sure you'll have something to say about that!) Enjoy!

and enjoy the graduation this weekend!

Wendie Tobin said...

No computer? How long are you going for again? This is tres upsetting! I'll be thinking of you on Sunday while you get on a plane for a ridiculous amount of hours and I'm sitting at my stepdaughter's baby shower. Sigh...I'm not sure which of us will have it worse.

Carrie said...

Janine, thank you so much for asking everyone to pray for Steve- his wife's funeral was this morning, and I really appreciate your thoughtfulness & everyone's prayers.

Thanks for the suggestions about him reading your blog - I don't know if he uses the internet, but if I have an opportunity, I will mention it to him. Thank you so much!

Wunderwoman said...

Thank you for the recipe. Have a wonderful trip, and we'll be waiting for all the details when you get home. And speaking of home, yours is looking really great!

Harley's World said...

Have a great trip. Will be thinking of u! :)