Thursday, May 14, 2009

The Countdown Begins ...

I leave in 3 days.

Gulp.

But ..... I think I'm mostly packed.
I think.

Of course, I'm leaving for Daughter #2's graduation tomorrow and haven't even thought about putting anything into a bag for that trip.

At least I know there's a Wal-Mart there.

Do they have Wal-Marts in Russia?  Or better yet .... Targets?
I'm guessing ........ no.
Or I would've heard the scream of delight from Daughter #1 all the way here.

Today was full of tennis, doctor, lunch, hair cut, nails and packing.
Yes ..... it is a rough life.
:)

Tonight was the 8th grade sports banquet at Son #3's middle school.
It was very, very long ...... a little over 3 hours.
On a very, very hard chair.

But he looked great!



Did he not?

And, unbeknownst to either of us, the coaches started a new award this year.
They named it in honor of a young man in 8th grade who has had a multitude of physical challenges since he was born.  He's an amazing boy.
They said that they will only award this when there are young athletes who overcome huge challenges and rise above them in school/athletics.  
It's called the "Heart & Courage Award".
And then they announced that Son #3 and another young man (whose sister died in a car wreck last May) were being given that award this year (because both of them had been hugely challenged by losing a family member while in athletics at this school..... and yet still worked hard to do and be their best).
And I just happened to be sitting next to the parents of that young man.  
I had never met them before.
He (the dad) cried.
I cried.
It was a bit draining, but very special.  The coaches all stood for the two of them as they came up to accept it.

So .... I'm tired.

Oh!  But good news, Peeps!!
The hotel that I reserved in St. Petersburg (the 23rd-25th) has internet!!!!
So hopefully I will be blogging a bit while we're there.
Unless ...... they're lying to me.
Which, I hear ........ happens.  
:)

Anyway, you know that I will do what I can to blog ...... I just hope it doesn't come down to doing anything drastic ..... because I can get drastic.
If need be.
And I think the need will be.

OK ---- enough for tonight.
Just in case I don't get the chance to write tomorrow ......
you know the drill -----  time for a question.

This one is easy:

    If you were going to Russia (in particular, Moscow and St. Petersburg), what are some things you'd want to see and/or do while you were there?
Tell me ..... and I'll see how many of them I can do .... and blog about it!

Don't get crazy.

:)



8 comments:

Mom said...

Good evening my darling daughter.
Well, you know me. . .the architecture is what I'd be going for. I'd make myself crazy trying to get to as many palaces, cathedrals and museums as possible. I so envy you this trip. Whether I'm supposed to or not! Envy, that is. Take bunches and bunches of pictures.

I love you very very much. And how did the dr's appointment go? See you Sunday.

Mary Lou said...

Yes, Son #3 looked very handsome. You have every reason to be so very proud of him. Your days are full to overflowing. Praying they are full of sunshine. Now, you have another graduation and then your wonderful trip. Be safe.

Nat said...

Wow, son #3 looked incredibly grown up and handsome and we are so proud of the award he received, very special for him and how great that the school thought to honor these students.
My suggestion and answer to your question-ask (if language isn't a barrier) someone at the hotel where they like to go eat. Not where the tourists like to eat because that is where they will send you, but where do they personally like to eat and then go there and soak up their culture and cuisine. (and vodka)

susan said...

I hate to say it, but my knowledge of Russia all comes from Tom Clancy and Robert Ludlum spy novels in the 80's...and everything there took place in clandestine dark alleyways...so i really can't think of any "must sees", unless of course you can spot Jack Ryan...but there is that beautiful building with the colorful onion-style turrets somewhere...maybe red square...you definitely need a picture of you (and #1 if possible) in front of that. Does Fodor's have a Guide to Russia?

Carrie said...

Awww....that's so sweet that your son got a special award! Congratulations!!! :)

Anonymous said...

3dhood.com

Unknown said...

Very handsome son! Well I have been to Moscow so I say you need to go to Red Square, Ismilova (sp?) it is a big outdoor market, you really need to see and go on their subway-goes deep down because they were bomb shelters and there is beautiful marble and statues down there, Arbat (sp?) Street again outdoor market shopping touristry sort of. There is also the big white church that was like or is their National Church and then there is a memorial park monument. I'll have to ask my husband about any other places. Have a great trip!
Love,
Julie

Anonymous said...

Dear Janine,
Just have a safe trip, a fun trip, enjoy W, and go with the flow. I admire your ability to travel to far flung places! Take lots of pictures, but be careful what buildings you take a picture of - but YOU know that! Don't forget to take pics of the little stuff, the daily stuff that shows how our cultures are different and alike. The minutia will help you remember the trip.
Love you,
Ann