Thursday, May 7, 2009

Melancholy Mental Health Day

            This is Jim with his mom and Son #3 on Easter, 1995:



     Today was a mental, as well as physical, health day.  
I am down.
I am tired.
My hip hurts.
I am overwhelmed.
I feel out of control.
I am lonely.
I am sad.
I am melancholy.

     And so I stayed home .... and in my pjs ..... all day.

     I think it all started this morning (actually, it really started yesterday afternoon) when my doctor's office called and said that my doctor had a medical emergency this morning and they would have to reschedule my exam.
To ..... ummmmmmm .... July 23rd.
Yes.  In 2 and a half months.
I wanted to scream.
But I didn't.  Actually, I was very, very quiet.
And I think that scared the woman on the other end of the phone more than if I would have screamed.
And then I think I whispered, "Are you kidding me?"
She apologized .... more than once.  But didn't give my any other options.
And so I took July 23rd.

     I called her back about 10 minutes later and said that I am leaving the country in a week and that I need to come in for a med check before July 23rd ...... like ..... in the next week.
And maybe because I was whispering, and so sounded like I was going to lose my mind at any minute ..... she gave me an appointment for next week.  

     Another reason that I think I'm blue today is that it's my Mother-in-Law's birthday.  
And she's not here.
I miss her.
A lot.

     I needed to stay home today .... not to relax and just rest, though that would have been wonderful.
I needed to get stuff done around the house.  Like laundry.  And bills.  And getting things together for the accountant.  And I needed to answer the phone when my attorney called (by surprise) and needed more information from me.  So I had to make a couple of calls .... in relation to Jim's death.
It.  Is.  Never.  Ending.

     In other news ..... the floor is done in the study and the walls have been painted.  They are very, very bright now.  Instead of white it's a kind of bright melon color.  I think I like it, though it will take some getting used to.  
I wanted the study to be a bit more feminine ..... to reflect more of me now.  Which I guess, means ..... less of Jim.
Sigh .... just typing that made me cry.
     Sometimes, it seems ..... that in trying to move forward ..... in trying to find some joy in life (which is much easier said that done) .... is like turning my back on him.
I know it's not ..... I KNOW that.
But my heart, unfortunately, operates on a very different level than my brain.

     So ..... (in my attempt to stop crying) ...... the iron and wood railing will be installed on the stairs tomorrow.  Or so I'm told.
Things are moving along.
Forward.
sigh

     I was so exhausted by 5:30 tonight that I went to lie down and fell asleep for 2 hours.  And really, really wanted to stay in bed for the rest of the night, but was afraid that I'd wake up at 3:00 am and there I'd be.

     So I got up and offered to take Son #3 out for dinner, one of his favorite activities.  Even though I felt like I had to drag myself to the car and would have rather stayed home and eaten nothing.
But in staying home I also would have missed out on more conversation with this un-talkative 14 year old boy.  I hate that about this age.
He and I are alone in this house .... and yet it feels so very much lonelier than it really is because teenage boys don't tend to talk much ..... or want to spend time hanging out with their mothers.

     So there you go ..... a melancholy mental health day.  I'm not sure I succeeded in helping my mental health ..... but it was awfully nice to stay in my pjs until 7:30 p.m.
And now I'm going to put them back on, watch Michael J. Fox's show about being an optimist, and then go to bed.
And hopefully stop crying.




     


11 comments:

Malinn Saxe said...

Sorry it was a hard day, but maybe you needed to keep your pj's on, and have a non hurried day! And how do I relate about how boys don't talk!!! :) Your May sounds very very busy - will you enjoy having the boys back home for the summer? I found summer's very hard with teen age boys!!!! Love you!

Anonymous said...

I am glad you got to have a day where you didn't feel like going anywhere. And I am happy that your house is getting more and more put back together.

I am sure it is hard somedays. It is to be expected. I don't know how you feel. But do know that I pray for you daily. You are an amazingly strong woman. You will be ok.
Tressa

elliebelle said...

Sorry you had such a tough day ~ Sometimes pj days are just needed! I have a 10 year old boy.. he still talks, but I am waiting (maybe dreading would be the more correct term) the day he stops all the crazy 10 year old talking and just plain noise making! :) As I read your blog it has given me hope/peace seeing how wonderful your kids have turned out.... nice to know they make it through those teenage, non-talkative years. Take care...I'm hoping tomorrow is a bit brighter for you ~ you'll be in my thoughts.

Kim said...

From a stranger....Your posts give me strength, they give me hope. You are a seasoned veteran in heart ache.. I am just starting my journey. My dear friend once told me, "I don't think we'll ever be comfortable with the pace that life moves at now." The best days I have found so far, are the ones when we actually allow ourselves to move at OUR pace, and not the hurried one life seems to hurl at us. I'm so blessed to have stumbled upon your blog. Thank you for being so brave. I am so sorry for the hurt that weighs your heart down. But I know for sure, the love makes it lighter when we least expect it to.

"Life is eternal,
and LOVE is immortal,
and death is only a horizon,
and horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight."

Mary Lou said...

Oh, how I love pj days. they can be very good for the soul. Sorry that the day was so hard. You did get alot done and that was good and things are moving along in the house, which is good. Soon won't be as much mess around. Glad you had the good time with Son #3. You truly do have a busy, blurry May. It will be full of good memories. stay warm in Russia or it will be fairly decent when you are there? You are blessed with your children. Glad the doctor is going to see you next week for the meds check. Loved the pictures of things getting in order in the house, looks great. Praying that today will be better and filled with sunshine outside and the Sonshine of His love and peace and comfort all over you. Hugs and prayers...Mary Lou

Luanne said...

We all need one of those days once in a while.

Oh do I understand what you mean about feeling like you are turning your back on Jim. Every time I would feel like I was ready to let Ed go it was as though I'd just opened a feather pillow in the wind. I would panic and try and gather all those feelings back again, but some of them had blown away. Little by little you learn to get used to a smaller and smaller pillow.
Hope you have a wonderful mothers day weekend.
Luanne

kdawnmartin said...

I love you Janine!

jessica said...

I feel so bad for you when you have a down day like this one. And I also know what you mean about moving forward and leaving your husband behind (in a way). I am encountering that sort of thing right and left, as I pare down stuff for my eventual move.

The melon color sounds nice! Photos?

I now realize why you made that comment at the hour you did, to my blog. Hope you were finally able to get some sleep. I wish I was closer to the north side, so I could just knock on your door and give you a hug. {{HUGS}}

Anonymous said...

I love you.

Anonymous said...

Hi Janine,
I hope that today is better. I was melancholy yesterday as well. I don't anticipate feeling that way on Mother's Day because that's the card company's day, not HER day.

I know that you have a full plate this month. So much going on. Take life as it comes and remind your heart that Jim loves you and he wouldn't want you to sit on the sidelines and let life pass you by because he isn't here to share it. That would only hurt you and the kids more. Moving forward isn't leaving him behind. You will always take him with you.

And if a dufus sister-in-law story would bring a smile, I will gladly share with you how I almost paid technical support $48 to change the batteries in my mouse. In my case it should have been called non-technical support and has pretty much answered any lingering doubts about whether I am smarter than a fifth grader.

Love you,
Ann

Judy said...

I guess anything you do going forward is like you are getting farther away from Jim. He remains the same age he was and the same essence as the day he died. Now months go on and years and it gets harder at times.