
I am getting a little tired of being tired all of the time. The good news is that I go to see my Dr. for a check up this week ..... the bad news (?) is that I think all of my blood work came back normal so she probably won't have an answer for me. But it seems that I constantly need to nap every day around 3:00 or so.
Maybe it's just that I'm getting old. No comments expected, or needed, please.
I went to watch one of my tennis teams play today and then went into work for the afternoon. I then came home, cleaned up and went out with some tennis friends for dinner and for a charity function to support, M, who sells stained glass items at these kinds of things. We had fun.
My house continues to be a very loud and unfinished (and seemingly never ending) construction zone.
The guys did come back today .... but for some strange reason that I cannot fathom .... they didn't finish the living room.
Instead, they removed all of the furniture and the carpet from the study and have prepared that floor to put wood in.
Here's what my home, my "safe place", my place of peace ...... looks like today:
This is the living room with some of the furniture packed back into it (note that part of the floor is still cement):
This is now what my dining room looks like. It would seem that they moved the living room furniture out to make room for the study furniture:


This is my study. Please note that the only thing I told them they could NOT remove is the cable modem ---- No. Stinking. Way:

So ..... I guess this is progress?
I am still getting a lot of comments and questions ...... and worry, about the cancer verdict from the surgeon.
I find it interesting that most people are way more upset, and frustrated and even angry with God, than I am. I think it's all in the timing.
Maybe 6 months ago I would have really been upset by this news. But last week, when I heard it .... I don't think I even blinked. Really.
I was more stunned the week before, when I had my annual mammogram and got the call that the results were normal. I almost asked the nurse if she was sure she had pulled the right patient's file. Seriously.
So the fact that I have cancer .... doesn't really phase me at all.
I know that God is refining me. I'm not sure what for .... but I have no doubt that He is preparing me for something. I must admit that I'm a bit frightened and nervous about this. It must be something pretty amazingly huge if I've had to be refined this much ..... doncha think?
I always thought it would be so cool to be part of the Women of Faith team and travel around and speak with them. That was "before". And I think a lot of women think that would be cool.
I've also always had a lot of encouragement to write a book about parenting .... and our experiences with it. I never really thought I'd do that ..... I think there are plenty of books on parenting out there ..... even if ours might have been a bit funnier than some.
However, I really have no idea what God is planning. But I do know that I have no choice in being refined. Well, I guess I might have a bit of a choice ..... I could stay in bed all day and refuse to move forward, but that's not really a choice .... in my eyes.
So when I heard the doctor say the word "cancer" .... I knew it was just one more step in the refining process. Truthfully ..... I'll be relieved when there's a break in this process .... as it seems to have been pretty constant over the last 16 months or so. But I'm not sure I can be surprised anymore when something "negative" happens. I know He has a plan ...... I just hope that my eyes will be open to it and my heart will be ready for it when the time comes for me to step up to the plate.
I have no doubt that this blog has been part of His plan. It started out (well, after Jim died) as a place for me to just "vomit" my feelings out ...... no holding back.
But I know that it has reached people ..... and I am grateful that it speaks to other widows. That's the most blessed thing about it .... for me ---- the knowledge that my pain is not wasted.
Thank. God.
If I had only one piece of advice that I could give to someone who is on this path with me ... it would be to try to really let go of the anger with God at some point ..... and let Him use the pain to help others. Because when you know that you have given someone else even a bit of help, even a small amount of hope ..... your heart starts the healing process. And your grief .... as well as your enormous and infinite amount of love for your loved one .... is not wasted.
And grief ..... and love ..... are horrible things to waste.
8 comments:
Quoteworthy:
"And grief ..... and love ..... are horrible things to waste."
You are being refined (pure gold).
Thanks for letting us learn with you.
JB
Thanks so much for sharing!
All I can say is that you continue to amaze me every day. I'm SO proud that you are my sister!
Lis
Janine, a long time ago I read a book titled "Don't Waste Your Sorrows". That is what you are doing. You are not wasting your sorrow, you are letting what you have gone thru and received comfort for to comfort others. That is scriptural. I have been in the refiners pit off and on since 1996. It hasn't been as constant as yours and not to the degree, but then we are two different people and He has a plan for each one of us. I've tried to not waste my sorrows either. It is an even bigger waste to do that. I've seen that done in the life of a close extended family member and it is a very sad thing to watch. You gave very sound advice in this post. You are truly shining for Him. He is using you in so many ways in the lives of so many people because you are so willing to be transparent. I think I understand your reaction to the cancer verdict now...I've had that reaction to some of the things that have happened to me..it just seemed like that was what it was supposed to be. That explains why I took the death of my first grandchild the way I have..it was strictly a God thing. He does move in mysterious ways His mighty wonders to perform. Bless you today, thank you. Hugs...Mary Lou
Nutritionally speaking, are you eating well?
I know this is going to sound insane - and believe, I know insane. But... I think its possible that God is using you to prepare your kids. My Granny always said that she couldn't figure out why God would put her through so much; loss of her mom, her husband, cancer, intestinal disease (more or less your life - minus the contractors).
Years later, she was commenting to my mom (her daughter) that Mom and I were always so tough, resilient, and smart - capable of handling everything that life dealt us. My mom and I both looked at her in shock. SHE was the reason we were able to cope with everything! Watching her handle all that God put in her path showed us that by relying on God (and friends and a lot of humor) you can get through anything. Granny now says that she's content with everything that has happened in her life, because it made it easier for her children and grandchildren to cope with their own lives.
Your kids are already so strong thanks to BOTH of their parents. In the future when they are completely responsible for their lives (and let's all hope and pray that it get smoother for them) they will have no problem rolling with the punches, because they've witnessed you handle it all with grace, dignity, and humanity. You've been human! You've let them see that they can be upset, experience the wide range of human emotions and still come out a loving responsible person.
Granny refers to this as being the "ultimate mom." Serving as God's life instruction tool. And a refined tool at that.
I have left something for you over on my blog.
Just wanted to send some encouragement and love today (even tho i'm posting this on an old entry). I wonder if your tiredness has to do with nutrition. If you eat too many carbs at certain times of the day you get that sugar crash thing. I used to get it all the time. I don't anymore though - try to eat more protein (a little protein at every meal) or complex carbs (veggies in particular). Have you ever thought about doing a cleanse? I have so much energy since I started doing them now and then!
Post a Comment