It's 12:40 on Friday afternoon. I am sitting in an Internet cafe above a book store that daughter #1 pointed out to me last night. I'm pretty pleased that I was able to find it today-- by myself.
D1 had a rehearsal to go to at noon and the a meeting. I was aching so much this morning that I sent her on her way, I need a day of rest. Especially since we leave around 5 am tomorrow for St. Petersburg.
I realized yesterday that my bed is killing me. The first two nights I was too exhausted to notice but now it's apparent that the board they call a mattress does not agree with my body. Every morning I wake up in a lot of pain.
Which basically means I'm getting too old for this crud!!
OK ... yesterday:
The weather turned on us after D1's class (it turns every day, several times a day) so we didn't go to the convent and a huge cemetary there that we wanted to see.
I was quite disappointed to miss out on my singing nun adventure -- especially since I confessed my plan to D1 so I have a strong suspicion she no longer plans to take me there. Some people!
Instead, we went to the Pushkin museum, which I enjoyed (my hip did not). They had several Monets, Piccasso's, Manets, Van Goghs, etc. It was lovely.
Then we went to another museum. She went through it while I read in the entry way. My hip flat out refused another museum.
After that we went to a Georgian restaurant and I had the best food of the trip so far. It was some specialty dish that they're known for. I'll have to tell you its name later, when I can ask D1. I also had my first taste of Russian champagne, which was also very good.
After that we went to a huge underground mall. It's very impressive to see what all this city has accomplished underground. Above ground: Not so much.
We went to a massive cathedral that Stalin had torn down (what a guy!) and they rebuilt in 1996. They built it to look exactly like the original and it does ....... well, except, I suppose, for the electric candles and the huge LCD lights. But other than that ........
We got back to the dorm around 5:00 to rest for an hour before heading back out. We went to see the play "Amadeus", in Russian. I think I would have really enjoyed it ---- had I understood anything other than the word "Motzart". It had one of Russia's most famous stage actors in it --- and was packed.
Thankfully we left at intermission and didn't stay for the full 3 hours. Afterwards I went back to the dorm and D1 went to a school banquet and then out with her friends.
Tonight we are going to a "cat circus".
Yes, you read that rght and I have no idea.
I can only imagine.
And will tell you all about it when I can.
OK, that's it for now. I need to leave before I get kicked out. I'm getting "looks", even though I bought a sandwich. I'm not THAT much of a rude American. And just so you know, on the "rudeness scale" ....... we don't hold a candle to this country (or at least this city).
Thanks again for the prayers. I'm looking forward to St. Petersburg. Please pray for good weather. Everything is outside. D1 may have a meltdown if we're stuck in the hotel room for 3 days. Not that she says that .... just a feeling I have. Call it maternal instinct. The girl would not to be trapped with her mother and no way of escape.
But then ----- who would?
Oh!! Except for me!!! (hi Mom!)
I'll post when I can, Peeps!
6 comments:
Good morning my darling daughter.
Good answer!! After all, your home, horse/dog and son are under my control. I could do major damage. But since you gave that wonderful answer...no need! I love you an enormous amount! I will be praying for wonderful weather in St. Pete's.
I am enjoying reading about your adventures in Russia! Sorry your hip is giving you trouble. :( I had two anecdotes about Russia I wantd to pass along. My friend from 7th grade went there in high school in the 80s, and she was greeted by people who just LOVED Americans, who would stop her on the street and give her things. I'm curious if that has changed - it sounds like it has. The 2nd thing is that I'm listening to the audiobook of The Geoography of Bliss by Eric Weiner and he spends time in several countries to research happiness, and one is Moldovia which is a former Soviet whatever-you-call them (republics? lands? territories? I know there's a word and I can't think of it) but anyway it ranks as litreally the least happy country on the planet. That in addition to Russia and many of the former Soviet whatevers. Eric says the people are rude and grumpy and never smile. I think he says it's because of lack of money and resources, and the inability to rise above their circumstance. and the resultant utter lack of hope. I thought that was interesting, and wonder if it's not part what you're experiencing there in Russia too. I also find the contrast between the extremes of my 2 anecdotes interesting because they coincide with changes before and after the end of the Cold War and the changes that occurred in Russia with all the new countries breaking away etc. Wonder if they're related.
Wendee - I think you're right. This country has known mostly pain and misery .... forever, that it's a physical part of it now --- especially Moscow. You can not only see it, but you can feel it. It's like a black heavy weight. It seems to be harder to even breathe here (although that could be from all of the cigarette smoke!). Anyway, it's sad. I will breathe a huge sigh of relief once on that last flight Wednesday. I canno imagine how difficult it's been for D1 for 3 months
I'll have to read that book
The oppressiveness of which you and Wendee write reminds me of Orwell's 1984. No hope.
On a brighter note... the wit and humor of your observations provide a pleasant contrast to the reality.
Hope you and D1 enjoy the break of St. Petersburg.
JB
Do you think the lack of hope and happiness is in relation to the lack of religious belief and faith in Russia? I have read and been told of people living in the worst of conditions in places like Calcutta, India and Malawi, Africa yet there are those that have a remarkable outlook on life and a love for Jesus. They give God praise and glory. Audrey at "Bring the Rain" has some remarkable pictures and posts of the poverty in Calcutta and of those who have hope through their love and belief in our Lord. It is well-known that the churches in Europe and Russia are more like museums than churches.
Glad you are spending time with D1 and hope your hip will see you through to the end!! Love you, Vicki
Can't wait to hear about the "Cat Circus!" Hope St. Petersburg was everything you hoped it would be and that the weather coorperated!
Enjoy your last few days!
Love, mjd
Post a Comment