Monday, June 29, 2009

What DO I Need?!

Yes, in continuing to thrash this whole topic around and around ..... (here's where I would apologize ... if I were sorry) ..... I've been doing some more pondering.
And I think I can answer that question, though not in a way that most people would expect.


But before I answer it .... I feel the need to get more feelings out.
Yes, I wish I could do this in person, but the fact is .... I can't. Not nearly as well as I can write them.
I would also apologize for that, too ..... if I were sorry. I don't think that's something I have to be sorry for. It's how God has wired me ...... evidently He has given me the gift of being able to vomit up emotions upon a keyboard.
Not a gift I would have sought, or even thought I had ..... until I had it.


I spent a goodly amount of time with a friend today. A good friend.
And we were honest with each other. And we wore no masks .... at least, not after the first half hour or so.
She told me things that I knew .... such as, this is the first time that most of my friends have also experienced this.
I know that.
I know that they don't know what they're doing.
I know that they love me and want the best for me.
I get that.
I know they didn't get the "hand book" on how to deal with the death of a friend's spouse.


But guess what?


I didn't get one either.


And because none of us knows how to do this ..... we don't know how to handle each other.
They want me to stop hurting.
I want me to stop hurting.
We want the same thing but there is nothing we can do to achieve it.
And sometimes I feel that I'm the only who knows that.


She also told me something that really struck me ...... she doesn't know how to love me anymore.
And that makes total sense.
I wish I could tell her how.
But I can't.
The "after Janine" is not someone she knows very well.


And so I told her what I've said here, and to my friends, over and over.
Just be patient.
Love me, if you can.
If you can't ..... I'm OK with that now. Because I'd rather not have you in my life than to have you racked with pain because you're here.
I also told her to spend time with the "after Janine" ..... to get to know her.
Which is totally selfish of me ..... and I know it.
Because I still cannot find the energy to pick up a phone and make arrangements to go out and do something.
And so I mostly don't.
My friends want me to instigate things .... to call them, to do things with them ..... to spend time with them.
And I cannot fault them for that.
It totally lies with me.
But I don't know if it's because I can't ..... or because I won't. I still don't seem to know the difference.
It "feels" like it's because I can't.
And so, for whatever reason, my friendships are not 2-way streets.
I cannot give what some people want.
And for that, I am sorry.
I think it will change .... one day.


She asked me how I feel I am loved by other friends .... how do they manage to make me feel loved?
I thought for a moment .... and cried ..... and said, "Unconditionally."
"They love me for just who I am ..... not who I was, or who I may some day be, but for who and what I am right now, which is a huge, sopping mess. They don't expect one single thing from me. Nothing.
Not a phone call. Not a visit. Nothing.
Not. A. Mask.
They accept me, include me, take care of me .... and never get frustrated that I cannot always respond in kind. Rather, they seem astounded that I would love them as much as I do."
It's a very difficult thing to explain ...... because it's felt. Deep within my soul and heart.
God has blessed me throughout my life with deep friendships ..... and each one has met different needs.
He continues to bless me in this way.
And friends who love you unconditionally, like she also does, want as much love for you as you can get. And are happy when you are loved.
Not threatened. Not hurt. Not worried that they will be replaced.


Here's what I have found out about unconditional love in friendships: it's exactly like when you are expecting your second child. You think there is no way you can possibly love this child as much as you love your first born. You can't see how it can physically and emotionally happen. Truly.
And then, that second (and 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th) child is born and you wonder what the heck you were thinking?! Because as soon as you hold that child ..... your heart grows to a bigger size. And it holds as much love as it needs to.


The same has happened as I've made new friends.
I've never "replaced" friends, anymore than I've "replaced" my children (although yes, sometimes I've wanted to!).
My heart has just grown to include more.
My heart feels incredibly blessed.
In spite of its brokenness.


So the only answer I've had since Jim died ..... and still have ...... is PLEASE have no expectations of me. I do NOT have them of you. I really don't. Don't think that I do. I don't have enough energy for that.
And if you have them for me ..... you will be severely disappointed.


And now ...... for the newer answer that has slowly come it me ......
...... What DO I need? ......


I need for you to cherish your spouse.
I need for you to honor your spouse.


Notice that I didn't say love. Because I think it's easier to love someone than to honor them.


And more importantly ...... my SONS need to see the men in their lives honoring their spouses.
They saw their Dad do it and do it very, very well.
And I am thankful that they were all old enough to remember most of what Jim taught them.
But Son #2 and Son #3 are still young and still learning about relationships.
And I need the men who care for them to care more for their wives than they do for themselves.


And this, too, is not always a two-way street. But tough.
Cherish who God has given you.
Even when you're angry at them.
Especially when you're angry at them.
Of course it's not easy ...... for many, many of you.
But you are where you are ...... for a reason.
And you made a decision.


And that decision did not end on your wedding day.
It starts again each morning.


Honor your spouse.
Above yourself.
Above your job.
Above your ambitions.
Above your golf game.
Above your "alone time".
Above your children.
Above your friends.
Above your family.

But below God.


Please.
THAT is something I'd love for you to do for me.

18 comments:

Laura said...

I love everything about this post. I love your honesty. I love your definition of friendship and analogy of new friends. And I love your charge to us to honor our spouses. Thank you:)

Kirsten said...

"Because as soon as you hold that child ..... your heart grows to a bigger size. And it holds as much love as it needs to."

This gave me shivers. Truly.

Anonymous said...

I think this is what you said:

... You need unconditional love from your friends and you want to love your friends unconditionally.

...Due to your deep grief it is hard to instigate relationship connections which do not function with unconditional love.

...You value open relationships with no hidden or selfish expectations.

...A key to your relationship with Jim was cherishing and being cherished. Thus for those married friends in your life, you desire that they hold onto this essential aspect of marriage, because without it their marriages, and therefore their lives have an obvious emptiness and inauthenticity which affects all of their lives. (I wonder if you can see this so clearly because you had it and lost it.)

There was more, but this is what I "heard." Does this make sense?

JB

Leslie said...

I remember when I was in my grief over my divorce that I wanted people to stop asking how I was because I was going to tell them the truth and then I had to watch them wish they had not approached me. This went on for way longer than I wanted (by a long shot). In the end, I withdrew and ended up with just a few "tried and true" friends who are with me today. While it is painfully difficult to just BE with one who is mourning, I know it is vital. I'm so glad you have a few "tried and true" - the others will do the best they can. It's all any of us can do. Wish I could hug you. My heart breaks for your sadness and emptiness Janine.

Mary Lou said...

From my distance of not knowing you personally and not having ever met you...you said alot of wisdom that resounds in my heart over and over. I pray your friends can read this and get an understanding or even a small glimpse of what you are trying to tell us. At this point in my life today...I needed to hear all that you said abour marriage and our spouses. Brought me up short. You are so right, it is easier to love than it is to honor. I am sad to say that I see where I have made some serious mistakes in my life, but thanks to your transparency I am choosing today to start a new way of life. I don't believe he is aware of my mistakes...his love is so unconditional it scares me...but I am aware and God has used you to wake this "old"woman up. May He bless you richly today for all you have done for me and for others. I am praying for you and your friends. Have a restful and peaceful day. Enjoy the cruise with your sons. Blessings and hugs...Mary Lou

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you know that I am here and I am reading your blog almost everyday. I thank God for you and your wisdom. I have a new found appreciation for you...one word...kids activities. I need to ask you some questions next time I see you.
God bless,
AmyA

jessica said...

Janine -- Your posting said it all, and so eloquently. I wish that I had your way with words, conveying emotions and thoughts. I could feel everything (in my own way) and I am sure that others are reading this and finding that true, too.

The wisest comment(s) you and your friend exchanged is that (A) your friends have never experienced dealing with this before; and (B) you certainly have never done this before, either. I will share this with friends (this particular posting).

Thank you for writing this from your heart. And there is certainly no need for you to apologize... you are just telling it how it is.

{{HUGS}} from Mo. City.

Anonymous said...

Dear Janine:

What you are experiencing and feeling are "NORMAL", something we widows seem to never feel in this journey of ours. You continue on this journey exactly the way YOU need to and as long as YOU need to. You are special!!!

Will be writing soon.

With much love,

Beth in NC

elliebelle said...

Your post struck me on so many levels today. One of my close friends lost a child, not the same as a husband, but her grieving and our journey through that time to where we are now - sounds so similar to the things you write - thank you for sharing. In regards to honoring our spouse, I loved that and will make extra efforts to do that, because although I think I do that most of the time, after reading your post I am certain I could be doing more!! Thanks so much for the things your write and for opening up and sharing things that are so close to your heart.

susan said...

thanks again for sharing your heart. as for your comment that neither you or your friends have ever done this before...that's precisely why i feel this would be a good book that you could write well...and one that i've never seen out there, so i think it is sorely needed. because of and through your experience and your transparency, you are, bit by bit, however un-wanted-ly, (by this i mean it's something you would rather not have been chosen to have had the experience) teaching us how to do this. janine, i pray that God is blessing you as you put all these thoughts and feelings out there for everyone to read. you are a blessing!

kdawnmartin said...

I love you Janine. So so much!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for saying the words that we all need to hear and thank you for the challenge. I love you.

Carrie said...

Thank you for posting this. You're right, it is easier to love with our emotions rather than honoring with our actions - glad you put it that way. And, also, your comment about the 2nd child, yeah, I'm feeling that a little bit now, so thanks for that. :)

Anonymous said...

Amazingly, beautifully, loving and honest. Love you, mjd

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing, even though it is hard for me to read. My dad died tragically in an accident four years ago and this past year has been very rough for me with my mom. Reading what you are going through helps...she does not express herself well. We have all been confused by her behavior and have been very frustrated. Reading your feelings makes me feel bad bacause I do have expectations of her when maybe I shouldn't. And I think she has expectations of her kids that are too high--I wish you could talk to her! You are so easy to understand in your writing.

I just have one question:

You use a four letter acronym all the time (and of course now I can't find it--TNAD or something like that). What does it mean?

Janine said...

Hi Sonja ......
I would be happy to talk to your Mom ..... any time. Truly.
If you want to e-mail me to talk more about this privately, please do.
As for the acronym ...... TANW ..... it means: There Are No Words.
I use it when I am overcome with emotion and can't think of anything to say. Which is very, very often.
Thanks for your encouraging words ..... I'm so sorry about your dad. Please tell your Mom that she is not alone .... maybe if she reads the blog it might help her realize she's more normal than she thinks.
Keep being patient with her ..... it's a very, very long and painful road. And it sucks. Totally.

Anonymous said...

Janine,
This post like many of your others has made me cry. No need for apologizes, it's what we do. Anyway, I cry because I did do all that you have asked of spouses. I loved my husband and cherished him more than anyone. That is the one thing that I am so happy that I did. Johnny knew how very much I loved and cherished him. I made him happy and he in return did the same for me. I was treated like a lady and loved unconditionally by him. He once told his mother that I had a lot of "issues", but that he loved them all. How blessed was I to have such a special man. I guess that is why this hurts so badly. I miss him so much and I still want to show him how very much I love him, so now I have to do that through our sons. I too wish that our boys would see how they are to treat women and their wives through Johnny's brothers and others, but that saddens me because I know that no one can do it as well as he did. Respect. That is what we both had for one another, always putting the other first. Hugs to you Janine, Lorry

Anonymous said...

Wow! Powerful! I have been reading (lurking) on your blog for a month or longer now. I'm only this far and I started from the beginning. Found the link on Matt Logelin's page. Of all your posts, this one really struck a cord. I'm not a widow, but am oddly addicted to reading about the life of one. I've learned so much from you. I am sure there is a reason God brought me to your page and I'm scared to find out what that might be. But thank you for your honesty and words about honoring your spouse. Wow, is all I can say!
Tammy, MN