Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Feel very, very blessed, my Peeps .....

..... because I am going to share with you my mother-in-law's recipe for Texas Sheet Cake.
I cannot have all of you "northerners" (i.e. Wendie T!!!) asking what the heck it is, or if it has barbeque sauce in it.  TANW!!


    This is my most favorite cake in the world ..... and once you see the ingredients you'll know why.
     This is another picture of my birthday cake, which in no way looks like a Texas Sheet Cake because 1.  It doesn't just have the plain chocolate frosting on the top ..... it has a very, very lovely copy of my blog picture on it because the friend who made it is an amazing cake maker/decorater and 2.  It's thicker than a regular sheet cake because she made it into 2 layers, which I've never seen done before.  


    So here you go ..... and again ..... feel very blessed because there are a couple of my mother-in-laws recipes that I do not give out.  I'm kind of selfish that way.
But ..... evidently ..... I'm getting a bit better.

TxMomx6's Mother-in-Law's Texas Sheet Cake

2 c flour
2 c sugar
1 stick butter/margarine
1 c water
1/2 c oil
4 T cocoa

Mix butter, water, oil and cocoa in a cooking pot and bring to a boil, stirring constantly so it doesn't burn.  Add flour and sugar and remove from heat.

Now combine this mixture with:

1/2 c buttermilk
1 t soda
pinch of salt (yes, a pinch .... it's country, what can I tell you ..... just stop complaining a pinch it)
2 eggs
1 t vanilla

Once everything is combined pour into a large "cookie sheet pan".  You can use a 13x9 cookie sheet, though it really works best to have one a bit bigger and deeper, but not too deep.  Down in the south they're called sheet cake pans .... up north .... you may be screwed ... I have no idea.

Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.

While it's baking you'll make this:

Sheet Cake Icing/Frosting

6 T milk
1 stick butter/margarine
4 T cocoa

Bring those three items to a boil and then add 1 lb (yes, pound) of powdered sugar.

You do not have to wait for the cake to cool completely before you frost it.  

There you go ..... be prepared to be addicted to this chocolate sin for the rest of your life.
Also be prepared to eat the whole freakin' cake, and scream at your children/husband if they dare to take the last piece.

You have now been blessed ...... because you got this recipe out of me and because you also got a bonus post out of me today.

I shall try to remain humble as I bless you.  Actually, that's why I have 6 kids.  They (not all, but most) do an AWESOME job of keeping me humble ..... and lowly.

I am now leaving to go pick up Miss S from her day camp and head to the beach on this gorgeous, sunny, blue skied, 73 degrees day.

It's a sacrifice, but one I will face with all the strength I can muster.
P.S.  Tomorrow is "Ask Me Wednesday".  I think there were a couple of people who asked questions last week that I didn't get around to answering.  If that's you, would you please send them again ..... I promise to answer then tomorrow.

Bye for now, Peeps.

12 comments:

mommytopia said...

Yes, wiseass. They are called sheet cake pans in the north, too! Thanks so much for this recipe. Too many ingredients for me, but impressive. Very impressive.

Janine said...

Thanks, Wendie, for the "wiseass" .... high praise from you my friend. :)
And anyway, who knew?!!
As for too many ingredients ... What the heck?!! Or is it too many gluten ingredients, which totally and utterly sucks!!!
:(

Wendie Tobin said...

Too many ingredients as in, if it's this much effort, can I give my family an Oreo instead?

Janine said...

No. Stinkin'. Way.
You have got to trust me on this one. I would never give you a recipe that had so many ingredients that it wasn't worth it. Never. I abhor cooking way too much to do that to anyone.
I cannot reiterate enough how worth it this cake will be if you'll just make it. And it's not really that many ingredients.
Trust me, Wendie ..... Look at the swinging ball, relax, and trust me..... when I count to 3 you will be filled with the desire to make this cake .... one ... two ... three.
No go forth and bake.
:)

Wendie said...

See your Freudian typo? "No go forth and bake." You know I listen to you in everything, so now I can't make this cake.

Seriously though, maybe I'll make it and blog it. I'll link to you if I do. First I have to find the best vintage of barbecue sauce ...

Janine said...

Ha!!! NOW!!!!!!!
You won't regret it!!

Carrie said...

Mmmm...LOVE Texas Sheet Cake - our cook makes it at camp! The frosting is to DIE for!!! :)

I had a Wednesday question last week, but didn't ask it b/c you were on vacation...what was it.......

I think it had something to do with balancing ministry and parenting - especially with six kids. I am SOOOO bad at balance - I love to just totally throw myself into one thing or another & forget about everything else. And right now it's parenting for me - I'm quitting my job in a few weeks & having a 2nd child in a few months, and I'm totally focused on that. But I also need to be involved in the ministry here at the camp where I (for now) work & where my hubby works & we live here, so I'm sort of a part of it no matter what. :) I guess I haven't really said a question yet...so...how did you balance ministry with your parenting - or did you just view your parenting AS your ministry - especially during the crazy baby/toddler years?

Mary Lou said...

I think this cake can be called Mississippi Mud cake too, not sure. Would have to go and look thru my old receipes...I think that one puts some nuts in it. It takes a sheet cake pan to hold all of that, glad to read that they are called sheet cake pans "up north" too. There are some things that are not the same. This recipe sounds like something my mother who was a wonderful cook would say... " a pinch of this or a pinch of that" and my all time favorite..."cook it till it's done" when you would want to know how long to cook something. thanks for sharing. Glad you are having a relaxing week. Praying that this week end meets all of your expectations and that you are blessed till your socks are knocked off.. Blessings and hugs...Mary Lou

RJ said...

Here's a question J for AMW:

I know that icing sugar by any other name doth taste as sweet (it's what we call powdered sugar!)

But I am stumped by the idea that butter could come in a stick.

Down here in NZ we buy butter by the pound (or in metric measurements, a 500gm block)

It's the patriotic thing to do, as our economy has a strong base in the dairy industry.

Is a stick 4 oz?

Also, on a strange tangent, what colour is it in the US? I know your cheese is sometimes dyed orange, the colour of Double Gloucester, whereas our cheddar and edam is cheddar coloured.

NZ butter is lemon-gold from all the grass the cows eat, as the climate is mild enough for cows to roam the pastures year round, whereas Danish butter is a paler cream/white (presumably because the cows spend a lot of time indoors)

Also, anyone know a substitute for buttermilk? It isn't something that we tend to get here very often, although it can be found.

Wendie Tobin said...

I have a question for your AMW: Do you think you are suffering from survivor's guilt? I know you weren't in an accident together and I'm asking the question based on how I dealt with the death of a loved one. I got myself very stuck in my grief because being happy, or moving on made me feel terribly guilty. Like, I couldn't enjoy myself fully when my loved one wasn't there. I'm not suggesting that this is your boggle, just wondering if you relate to mine.

jessica said...

I think I have this recipe -- and it IS fabulous! This comes from a Yankee who has lived in Texas for over 24 years. Everyone should give this one a try. Buttermilk substitute -- 1 Tablespoon white vinegar or lemon juice; milk -- just under 1 cup. Pour vinegar or lemon juice into a 1-cup measuring cup. Pour milk in, to bring it up to the 1-cup line. Allow to sit for 5 minutes. Yes, a stick of butter is 4 oz. and yes, our butter is pale yellow. I think that some idiot decided to dye cheeses that strange, orange-y yellow here. I prefer mine without dyes.

Anonymous said...

Hi Janine, My question is about teenagers. I am having trouble letting go. I have an 18 year old who is independant, smart, social and very outgoing. He wants to be free but I worry about him all the time. I am always assuming the worst even though nothing terrible has happened so far (but it could right?). Sometimes when I try to let go I stop because if feels like not caring??? I can't get there but know I need to. He is going away to university in the fall and will be living on campus 4hours from home. I try not to think about that too much right now. Help!
Kim (Canada)