Yes, it's actually Thursday morning, Peeps. This week has just gotten away from me too many times. Daughter #3 and I made it home last night .... in spite of missing a turn and getting lost for a bit. But thank God He made someone smarter than me who invented the cell phone, because we called my brother, who guided us through several portions of the trip to get us back on track.
Funny thing about family ..... they'll help you whenever they can, but they'll make fun of you forever after they do it. :)
Anyway, I'll post later about our visit to Austin and put some pics up.
For now, I've been trying to get this post going since I got out of bed at 6:30. Seeing that it's now 8:00, it looks like this day may get away from me, too!
On with the questions!
Hi Maddy:
Certainly.
Tamara asks:
You may have answered this one before so forgive me if I am re-asking something that someone else already asked you.
Did Santa, The Easter Bunny, and The Toothfairy visit your house? If so, at what age did your kids figure it all out? I know that there are people who tell their kids the truth from a very early age. What are your feelings about "the lie?
Hmmmmm ..... well, I guess I'd have to say that we lied big time. Still do. None of the kids don't want to admit not believing in Santa ..... just in case .....
This came from kiki:
J - I have been away for a while, new job, summer, life... but I have missed you. I asked a while ago if you would pray for me while I worked on trying to pick up the phone and call my mom. You did - and your readers did - and I called Mom, and it was ok. I'm still struggling with REGULARLY picking up the phone and calling her, so please keep praying. So for ask me Wednesday, which is now almost over, I have to ask again, will you keep praying? Mom needs to hear from me, and I'm afraid to call but must do it. Please pray for strength.
Thank you, kiki
Hi kiki and welcome back!!!
OK, Peeps ....... I'm finally going to post this.
Maddy asks:
Well, I MUST know if you gave your children allowances. If so how was it tied to chores? We believe our two boys have certain responsibilities around the house as part of our family and I don't want to pay them for that. However I want them to earn/save/spend/learn money. So how did you do it and what were they required to buy with that...just fun stuff, or save up for big stuff, or? Help me oh wise one. :)
Hi Maddy:
Yes, they received allowances and no, it wasn't tied to chores. The kids all had chores because they were members of our family. They also got an allowance because they were members of our family. We gave them half their age a week (so if they were 10 years old, they got $5 a week). They had to save a certain portion of it and they had to tithe a certain part of it. The rest was theirs to do with as they chose. If they went out with friends to a movie or something, they used their money. If we did that as a family they didn't. If they wanted something big they needed to save up for it. Sometimes I would make them pay for a portion of something (like a pair of tennis shoes they wanted). I'd tell them I'd pay a certain amount and after that it was up to them to pay for the rest. It was interesting to watch three of them turn into almost Scrooge-like savers when it came to spending their own money. The other three seemed to instantly get holes in their pockets when money was placed into them. As far as physically giving them the money --- we rarely did that (it was difficult to keep up with the cash flow). We kept account balances for them and we credited/debited the accounts. This lasted until each one turned 16. Then I took them to the bank to open a checking account and from then on they got a certain amount each month. I would deposit it into their account at the beginning of each month and they had to learn how to budget it/make it last .... or not. This is how we've handled college, too. I put a certain amount in their account at the start of the semester and it's up to them to make it last. Some have done better than others.
Anon asks:
Could you share what each of your college aged kids are majoring in?
Could you share what each of your college aged kids are majoring in?
Certainly.
Daughter #1 majored in Classical Studies and is now getting her Masters in Dramaturgy. Yes,
I know that 99.9% of you don't know what that is. It is basically research and writing for theatre. A theatre hires a dramaturgist who then does all of the research everyone working on a play would need to know, from the era, the fashion, the history, the author, his/her intentions in writing the play, etc. Every single person involved in and behind the scenes is affected by the work of the dramaurgist.
So there ... you learned something new today. :)
D#2 majored in International Relations and minored in religion. She still hasn't decided what she wants to do, though I think her heart is in mission work in Africa.
D#3 is majoring in Deaf education. She has a full year of interning ahead ..... one semester at the Texas School for the Deaf and one sememster at a public school in that area.
Son #1 is majoring in Accounting and in Spanish.
Thanks for asking such a great question!
Tamara asks:
You may have answered this one before so forgive me if I am re-asking something that someone else already asked you.
Did Santa, The Easter Bunny, and The Toothfairy visit your house? If so, at what age did your kids figure it all out? I know that there are people who tell their kids the truth from a very early age. What are your feelings about "the lie?
Hmmmmm ..... well, I guess I'd have to say that we lied big time. Still do. None of the kids don't want to admit not believing in Santa ..... just in case .....
So yes, all three of those magical beings visited our house. We always had a problem with the Tooth Fairy, though. She was always very, very tired at night and she would make many visits the next day, while the child was at school.
I'm not certain how long they bought that line, but poor Son #3 never got stuff as long as the others because I knew he didn't really believe as long as they did (which is what happens when you have older siblings who decide it's their job to give you a dose of reality).
I would say the tooth thing stopped by 3rd grade, at least.
The Easter Bunny still came until last year, even though we never really talked about him that much. I'm not sure they ever believed in him, they just knew they got great baskets and candy on Easter morning.
I think any child of Jim's found the idea of a large, fluffy rabbit hopping all over the world, distributing candy a bit tough to swallow.
And I'm sure they all really stopped believing in Santa by the age of 9 or 10, though as I said before, no one has dared say that outloud ..... yet.
I know there are some parents who never, ever let their children believe in Santa, or the other guys/gals ...... and I have always found that a bit sad.
I don't remember the moment I found out there was no S.C. ..... so I don't think I suffered any tragic emotional turmoil by it.
I also don't think my kids suffered that ...... we had fun with the idea, without making that big of a deal about it. I don't think they considered it to be us lying to them by "believing". It was just childhood fun.
This came from kiki:
J - I have been away for a while, new job, summer, life... but I have missed you. I asked a while ago if you would pray for me while I worked on trying to pick up the phone and call my mom. You did - and your readers did - and I called Mom, and it was ok. I'm still struggling with REGULARLY picking up the phone and calling her, so please keep praying. So for ask me Wednesday, which is now almost over, I have to ask again, will you keep praying? Mom needs to hear from me, and I'm afraid to call but must do it. Please pray for strength.
Thank you, kiki
Hi kiki and welcome back!!!
I am so honored to be asked to pray for you ..... of course I'll continue that, as I'm sure the Peeps will. I'm glad that you reached out to your mom and we will continue to pray for God to fill you with His strength, peace and comfort.
OK, Peeps ....... I'm finally going to post this.
I started it at 8:00 this morning and then put it away. It's now 2:00 in the afternoon.
I need to finish some work and then go home and veg ...... I played tennis this morning and I'm pooped. And feeling low today, too .... though finishing this blog entry has helped with that a bit.
Some days are just low days.
3 comments:
I think your body is telling you to take a break --- you traveled everyday this week. So REST, REST, REST and don't worry about it.
We did tell our kids about the "real" St. Nicholas -- funny thing they still wrote letters to Santa and one absolutely refused not to believe --- actually put out "reindeer food"!!!! We still had amazing holidays even with telling them.
God is good all the time and life with kids is a blessing! love, m
Good evening my darling daughter. I'm glad to see you're safely home. I hope you are getting some much needed rest. Too much activity in one week. And how is Gabby doing? Poor Sassy misses her something terrible. Sooo sad.
We love you bunches, and the lake house is all ready for company. However, it looks like there will be rain every days this weekend. But who knows, that may change tomorrow.
Hi Mom .... thanks for having the house ready. I think they'll enjoy it even if it does rain.
Gabby is very pathetic. She misses her sister ... a lot. Poor little horse/girls.
I love you.
Very, very much.
:)
Post a Comment