Friday, August 7, 2009

To Tase ... or Not To Tase ...


Ummmm .... about that title ..... it will make sense eventually, just not yet.


I stayed in bed until 3:00 p.m. today.
Literally.
Stayed.
In.
Bed.

Well, I'm not counting the one time I got up when I first woke up ..... went into the family run, stared at the TV for about 2 seconds .... and then thought, "Crap. This day doesn't feel so well."
So I turned off the TV and went back into my room, locked the door and crawled into bed.
And slept some, thought more, stared at the ceiling and tried to ignore certain voices that sometimes fill my head.

I got a phone call from someone who was worried (since I also didn't have my computer, my cell phone or the house phone in my room) that I had not answered any calls or texts.
This person called at just the right time -- I had decided to get up to get something to drink around 2:00, when I saw my cell phone and the missed texts and calls.
I returned the call, though I debated on that for a while .... I really wanted to just crawl back into my bed, which is exactly what I did .... only this time I took the phone with me.
And this person's love filled my brain for a while so that there was no room up there for the voices.
I know what's behind the voices .... grief, tiredness, pain (heart and hip), loneliness, people's opinions (only the wrong ones), the hurtful words I've heard (and the ones that I make up to go along with them), expectations, masks, and a whole lot of self-pity.
It's kind of scary to think that you could literally die in bed ..... and maybe know one would know for a couple of days. Or you could have a heart attack or something that would cause you to die .... unless you got help quickly. But ...... no one would be there to get the help in time.
I hate this part of being "single". And I know I'm not the only one out there who hates it. And it's not just widows.
But what can you do?
But crawl back into bed on the days that feel like crap.

When I got up at 3:00 Son #2 and I went out to run some errands.
We were home at 5:00 and I still feel like I could sleep for the rest of the night. Emotionally I'm better, but physically I still feel tired and very sleepy.
But, I think that I shall hop into the shower, slap on a mask or 5, and head up to church to watch "27 Dresses" with some fun women.

I think that will be more productive than going back to bed. Besides, the boys are having some friends over tonight (with my brother as chaperone) and will be playing obnoxiously loud video games.
There's no way I'm hanging around for that.

Speaking of the boys ..... my two bunny-killing, tall tale-telling, testosterone-filled young men want me to get a gun.
Very badly.
They worry that I do not have adequate protection in case something happens and they're not here (ummmmm .... and I'm wondering why they think I'm any safer WITH them here?!).
So they've been pushing the "gun issue" for a while ...... which of course was only fueled by their visit to the farm and lots of money spent on ammo.
I've told them it's not open for discussion. There's no way I'd have a gun in this house with THOSE two testosterone-filled lads.
Son #3 asked if it was because I'd be afraid to shoot someone. I laughed really hard at that.
Nope ..... not afraid to do that.
At all.

I think I'm more afraid of WHO I'd shoot ..... and I'll just leave that at that.

But yesterday I was offered a compromise (like I had even indicated I'd take one?!) ......
I could buy a Taser.
It's a good thing I was not taking a drink when he offered that ..... or I would've had drink coming out of my nose.

But now that I've thought about it ...... I'm starting to really like the idea of that.
Because I could shoot anybody and it wouldn't be fatal ..... or necessarily lead me to being put in a patrol car with my hands behind my back ...... or trying to hide my face from all of the reporters while wear leg shackles and an ugly orange jumpsuit.

Cuz they have a tendency to do that down here when a mom goes nuts and ..... well, you know what could happen if a mom went nuts.

But it might be quite nice to hear, "Don't tase me, bro Mom!"



(Just for grins, I went to Taser.com ....... and found this picture, that I of course then had to share with my Peeps.
It completely reminds of a certain testosterone-filled duo that I know ..... quite well.)




11 comments:

kdawnmartin said...

T.A.N.W. for your first part of the day. I hate that for you and I know you know that.

I know I have said this before but man you know how to write!! Gripping in the begining and then you had me laughing at the end. I love you so very much my dear sister. So. Very. Much. (I got that from you.) I hope you enjoyed the movie with the fun women.

elliebelle said...

You're always in my prayers. I've thought a lot about the taser thing as I take many early morning runs and would like a little protection besides my dog - that LOVES everyone, and the pocket knife that I secretly stash just to give myself some false sense of security - I do think a taser could be a good answer! That is nice that your boys are protective of you ~ I think that is pretty neat! :)

Jill said...

wow Janine, I never cease to be amazed at how our lives parallel.
I feel like I say this all the time to you......THANK YOU for sharing so honestly. You are not alone in the "voices". and that is why your words speak to me and so many others.

I love you.

Jill

Anonymous said...

Get a taser.

rj said...

!!!!

Don't statistics show that having a gun or other weapon in the house increases rather than decreases the chance of a resident being injured?

They also make you feel less, rather than more safe - as they force you to think about the "bogeyman" - the sort of people that there is a statistically tiny chance would ever come into your house.

You'd have more chance of slipping on an icecube and knocking yourself out than a/ having an intruder or being threatened by someone, and b/ accessing the gun, and the ammunition, and putting them together, and c/ being able to aim well enough to hit someone who wasn't a family member doing something unexpected.

I know you live in Texas, which has a completely different culture to us here in New Zealand.

Our police don't carry guns or tasers on their person - so they have to use interpersonal skills to defuse situations rather than arming up. We're having the debate as to whether police should be permitted to have tasers at all, and I'd be surprised if it's legal for private citizens.

Anonymous said...

The taser gets my vote!! (I can think of many people I'd like to put on the receiving end of that, as I'm sure you could.... ) Would have been a GREAT idea when my child still lived here with her smart mouth!!

Anonymous said...

You should totally Google "Plaxico". I love you and can see that happening to you. The way you life has been rolling lately you do not need to shoot yourself. I don't know enough about the Taser but I'm thinking you probably have enough big knives around to damage someone if needed. My question for people that keep guns and tasers (and I'm not really for or against them) is how do you know that your attacker will attack when you are near your gun or taser? What if you keep it in your closet and someone jumps you in the kitchen?
I'm loving you dearly right now, and always, and so sorry that your body pain and your soul pain kept you in bed for so long yesterday.

Anonymous said...

How about an alarm system? I had mine installed about 2 months after my husband died. It makes me feel really safe.
Linda

Nat said...

I vote for the alarm system but the only way it works is if you get in the habit of using it regularly. It's also a great way of knowing if your teenagers get home by their curfew.
Always loving you,
Nat

M2K2USA said...

Well sis, where I live there are concealed weapons permit requirements so I take my gun wherever I go. I have one locked in my truck and one in a safe next to my bed. So what do I think??? Hmmmmm...guess! LOL

I LOve you very much!

Little Bro

Lisanne said...

Well Sis...since I'm a Firearms Instructor, I guess you know where I stand! I'd be interested in seeing those "statistics" that show that someone is safer without a gun in the house.
Personally, I, like Little Bro...carry a gun everywhere I go. However, I'm also highly trained to use it and have no doubt that if anyone ever attacks me, they'll be quite sorry. (or dead)
IF you ever decide that a gun is a possibility, I will be more than happy to spend some time training you.
Okay...'nuf about that.
I called you today BEFORE I read your blog...and just so you know, I was totally just teasing you about not calling me! I love you whether you call or not.
I still think you're the most amazing sister in the world!

Lis