Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Heading North ....

...... which has nothing to do with this picture at all (it's a cake that was entered in the Tulsa fair) other than I love Chicago and I love King J from Madagascar. I just thought I'd share the pic because it makes me smile. :)

I leave tomorrow morning to go visit my sister, who has been counting down the hours. I'm really looking forward to being there ..... in spite of the predicted cold, wet weather. Hopefully my Texas winter clothes will be warm enough. Heck, I can layer about 10 t-shirts and hope for the best!!
Since I'll be traveling we won't do "Ask Me Wednesday" this week. That gives you an extra week to think up some questions, you lucky Peeps. :)

I had my last visit (for now anyway) with my therapist today. We both decided that I'm doing so well that I'll just see her on an "as needed" basis from now on. Hopefully I won't bottom out in December. She said it was a good sign that I didn't realize until yesterday that the 18th had come and gone (for the 2nd month in a row). I think it's good, too ..... but I also find it very strange when it happens ..... like how in the world could I NOT notice that day? It's not that I feel bad, or guilty or anything for not noticing .... just strange. It's hard to explain "strange", but there ya go.
It was a good visit today. She really validated me being me, in spite of what other people think or want from me. As a first-born, people pleaser, that validation is huge.

I am finally packed, in spite of my lack of focus. We shall see if I remembered everything, especially to carry a coat on board with me!

I'm planning to blog and post pics while I'm gone, though we all know about the "best laid plans" ...
But I shall still leave you with a question, Peeps, because ....... well, because that's what I do.

So here we go ....

If you could/had to live IN any major city (not in a suburb) in the world ... which one would you choose and why?

I would choose either Chicago or New York. I'd like to experience "city life" for a year to see what it's like. I'd probably go for NYC because of all of the theatre. Who knows? Maybe some day I'll decide to go off and rent an apartment for a year and try it.
Now THAT would make for some interesting blogging!!

You have the question .... now discuss amongst yourselves and I'll see you once I'm in the "windy (and wet) city"!

10 comments:

Leslie said...

I had the chance to go to NYC for the first time when my daughter and her orchestra played at Carnegie Hall 6 years ago. LOVED IT! I felt so safe there and enjoyed the culture. People were friendly and welcoming to us. The theater district - can you say WOW - WOW - WOW? I would move there in a heartbeat for a year (no more, I'm sure). In general, give me green grass/plowed fields of the midwest, but the excitement of NYC would be fun for a year.

Have a great trip. Love Chicago too. Lived there for 7 years and discovered about .1% of it. :)

kdawnmartin said...

Ok, who said I was counting the hours???? Ok, I might have fudged on that but...I am soooo excited that you are coming!!!! I will see you in 13 hours and 50 mins! I love you!

Lisanne said...

Probably NYC for me too...but I'd have to do some research first. I'm not much a of city girl and a year might be way too long for me!

Have a wonderful time with Dawn. I sure wish we could all get together sometime. I would LOVE to spend some time with you.:)

Lis

Amanda said...

Well, I've only been to 3 major cities in my lifetime: Chicago (I go every summer), New York City, and London.

I'm assuming that the question implies that money isn't an issue (HA!), so I would pick London. I loved it there, and it would be fun to experience it as a resident, not a tourist. :)

Anonymous said...

Okay, I have to say Charleston. Is that major? When you already live in the suburb of a major it's hard to imagine another. I love, love, love, Charleston though. And if money were no object I would buy one of those old beautiful historic mansions on the waterfront. Gorgeous!!!
BTW - I too, love the king from Madagascar. There is a hilarious cartoon on Nickelodeon called "Penguins of Madagascar" and it only has the peguins and the king. HILARIOUS!

Karen said...

Sydney. It's a fantastic city with fabulous food, nightlife, entertainment and transportation. The Aussies are lovely, friendly people. The outlying areas are beautiful, beachy, fun, trendy. Awesome.

RJ said...

It's a toss up.

I did live in London for 6 years and loved it, but maybe Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Berlin, Genoa or San Fransisco. And then there are Paris and Rome...maybe Paris?

In Australia, I'd take Melbourne over Sydney - again very liveable and nice people.

Money no object - in the US it's got to be San Franscisco in the apartment Reece Witherspoon had in the movie where she was the doctor in a coma - overlooking the Catholic Church and little italy, with views of the bay and near to Chinatown.

Nat said...

In the U.S.-I would choose San Fransisco-great views,parks,exercise and food
Abroad-Toss up between Paris and London-so much history and beauty

Carrie said...

I would hate to EVER live in ANY big city - I am such a country girl. If I HAD to pick, probably either Des Moines b/c we have family near there...or Dallas or something in Texas, because I visited Texas once & liked it. Lame reasons!! :)

Phyllis said...

Like Carrie, I am a country girl and too old to change my ways now. If I were moving to a larger city, would be Austin as my daughter and her family (4 fabulous grandchildren) live there. To see her blog and read about her growing up in the country go to http://mayhemmania.blogspot.com/