Friday, November 27, 2009

One Difficult Day ....

..... down, countless others to go.
Actually, the day itself, like so many others that I dread, was not as horrible as I had anticipated. But it was very, very different. And it ended last night with me sitting and pondering this wicked turn my life has taken. Another day ending with me thinking, "I cannot believe that THIS is my life. I cannot believe that I'm here and he is not. This was not the way it was supposed to go. I was supposed to die first. Me. Not him. " It is so strange to be here, among his brothers and sister and their spouses, without him. My singleness stands out ... at least to me. I know that I am loved here, it's not that. It's not them .... it's me. It's hard to explain. It's just a hurt that will not go away. And sometimes the hurt will throb a bit less and form a scab. And then comes a day, or an event, that rips that scab off and it starts throbbing and bleeding anew.
I think the scab has slowly been coming off this week and this morning it's completely gone (for some reason the day after a dreaded day has always been worse than the day itself). I hurt. I miss him. I wonder how much longer can I stand this pain? How much can a human heart hurt before it just gives out?
My heart not only hurts because Jim is gone, but because his mom is also gone. This was our first family get together since she died. Our first time to all be together .... and yet we weren't. There are two huge holes among us and so it's different.
I'm so very tired of "different". I want to wake up from this nightmare. Or I want to be able to run away from it, to somehow escape it. I know in my head that I can't. I told you it's hard to explain. The only people I expect to understand this jumble of words are the ones on this stupid path.
I want to run away from my life.
I wonder where I would go to do that? To run away and start a different life, where I knew no one and no one knew me. A place where there would be no expectations, no responsibilities, no one to let down. No one would look at me with "that look". No one to hurt for me.
But no one would care about me, either and I'm not sure I could survive that. I hate that the people who care about me also hurt for me. It would seem that I hurt enough to cover everyone .... no one else should have to feel it, too. But that's not the way it goes.
Maybe caring and hurting go hand in hand.
So ... I guess for now I won't run away.
Even though I want to.
Very much.
I guess I'll stick around and blog when the hurt gets bad. And cry.
Blog and cry.
Cry and blog.

And then I will call Daughter #1 and tell her "Happy Birthday". This day is bittersweet. I wish she were here, as does she.
But she'll be here soon.

Now I will blow my nose, try to look like I haven't been crying .... and go out and visit with my family.
In spite of the holes.

Have a good Friday, Peeps.

9 comments:

Beth in NC said...

Janine:

I understand all too much!!! =(

Beth

Carrie said...

Oh, I am so sorry your week has been rough. Praying for you!

Debbie said...

I one of the people on the stupid path with you and you make total sense. Sorry that today's so hard. I find that is the case with me - either the day before or the day after are harder than the actual day. Hope the day gets better for you.
Debbie

susan said...

not on your path, but i think i can understand little glimpses of what you are experiencing...the world seems to be off it's axis, and wonder if it will ever really spin right again, or will it always be with these wobbles. crying with you, and praying for you.

Anonymous said...

We hurt for the same reason you hurt (granted, on a much different scale), because we love...we love you and Jim and "that look" is a reflection of both the hurt and the love. We somehow want to acknowledge the loss and the pain, not act like it doesn't exist. I can understand the feeling of wanting to run away where no one knows you or Jim. Do you remember the story of the Runaway Bunny? Well, if you ran away, I would look for you and I would find you, because you are my friend and I love you very much. Praying for a restful day. Vicki

Mary Lou said...

TANW....sending prayers and hugs.

Mom said...

Good evening my darling daughter.

Vicki said it so well there is really nothing I can add. Except to say I love you dearly.

Leslie said...

Thinking so much of you....

jessica said...

I feel so bad for you and remember my Thanksgiving last year. Friends in the Hill Country were as supportive as they could be, and I still (in my heart) thank them for that. But it is still hard to see others as pairs, as families, and know that you are not. {{Hugs}} from Tampa.