Friday, February 15, 2008

Get yourselves ready ....



I thought about calling this post "Gird Your Loins" but some of you seem to shy away from any reference to loins. Some day I'll post about Son #2's youth retreat a few weeks ago, entitled "Man of God, Woman of God" or something like that (it was a "sex talk" weekend-- well, I'm sure it wasn't just about sex). He came home, dropped his sleeping bag on the floor and declared, "I have been scarred for life!." The ensuing conversations have been hilarious (not so much for him).
Anyway, I didn't plan to post much tonight -- it's late and I'm tired. But I have decided to write tomorrow about the things I didn't need to hear. Hopefully most of you are sound asleep by now and won't toss and turn all night, hoping your words didn't make the list. Stop worrying.
Also, I am trying to convince myself that it won't be the end of the world if Son #2 does not graduate. I think I'm succeeding. It helps to hear stories about kids like him who have done just fine after having a terrible high school experience, so thank you to all of you who have shared your heartache. He's a good kid. He has a huge heart and is a good person. His future may not be what I would dream for him, but then, neither is mine. So much for dreams.
Maybe some day he'll decide that there's an easier way to do things but he may be 40 before that happens.
Hopefully I'l live long enough to say, "I told you so."
:)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm ready for the post...post away! Hope the margaritas were good lastnight and you and dad had fun! love ya chick! 22 more days!!!

Anonymous said...

Heya Sis...you know, I was a TERRIBLE student and I only graduated by the skin of my teeth!
The only decent grades I got were in music and drama and woodshop. I had test anxiety something awful...and I skipped classes constantly to avoid them. It was a miserable time for me because I felt like a failure...and like there was something wrong with me.
In reality, the traditional academic setting just doesn't work for me. Even now. I absorb through practical, hands-on learning and I excel in everything that I do...but it took me YEARS to learn HOW to learn. Son #2 will eventually figure it out too. He's a great kid, right? Just encourage and allow him to discover HIS way of learning. It'll happen...I promise.
I'm going to be worried all day about your next post! If I DID say anything, please know that I will bring you a stick when I come to visit:)
I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!

Lis

Anonymous said...

Remembering back to high school days, I had a friend. She couldn't make more than a 75 to save her life. She ended up at college eventually, and even became a teacher (slightly scary, I know, but I digress). We all had to stand by her and support her and eventually it all came through. The same will happen to son #2. We will all continue to pray for patience for you, and for guidance for him...to figure out where his place will be and the path to get there...it may not be the same path as everyone else, but it will be his path and the Lord will guide him to get there...I am sure of that!

Anonymous said...

Checkout this link: http://www.superparx.com/home.php?Language=English
My little brother, Tyrone,had a terrible high school experience. So bad that he quit HS in his junior year, took the GED(several years later) and followed his heart. Tyrone was extremely smart just like P, however he really struggled in HS. I believe he had/has a LD that has never been diagnosed. Well, today at 37 yrs old he owns his own company, doing something he LOVES! He has a beautiful wife and two adorable daughters and they are very happy.
I am not saying it was always easy for him, he has worked hard and when he was working for a large resort he lost a couple promotions to college grads. But that just pushed him to start his own business and now the resort that passed him up on the promotions pays him double his old salary, just to come in and consult on a part time basis.
I am very proud of Tyrone and I always knew he would be fine, however I never knew he would do this well!

I read that Bill Gates was a C avarage student, and hated school?? look at his success.

P is a great person! he is going to succeed, maybe it will even be in school? he is still very young. He is blessed to have you as his mom!
Love you, K

Unknown said...

My dad never graduated h.s. and neither of my parents went to college nor my brother or extended fam. my dad the "hs dropout" now does social work at a food bank, and is brilliant, funny, musically inclined, compassionate, and an awesome dad. Success in school is not all it's cracked up to be, and definitely not the only measure of success! And hey even Einstein couldn't tie his own shoes :)