Tuesday, March 18, 2008

8 vials later ....

     Sounds like a title of a horror flick.  Eight test tubes of blood (some were bigger than others, what's with that?!).  Son #2 accompanied me on this lab visit and let's just say that he enjoyed it very, very much.  You, too, may enjoy this visit if you can figure out where his MySpace is.  Yes, he took pictures -- while he cackled with glee.  Loudly.  I am loved (?).
     The other title I was considering for this post is "Excuse me while I vent".   I consider that ample warning:  don't blame me if you keep reading.
     I have 3 things to vent about and it's only 1:00 p.m.
     Vent #1:  
   I received a bill from Texas Children's Hospital for $120  (where the lung doctor's office is located).  I first noticed that they did not send this to my insurance company.  Then I noticed that there was no description for this charge.   I thought to myself, "What the heck?  Are they charging me for just walking into the building?!".  So I gave them a call.  No, they hadn't put it through to the insurance company but would be happy to do so.  And then:
Me:  "Thank you very much."
Her:  "Your welcome."
Me:  "Oh, by the way, what, exactly, is this charge for?"
Her:  "Ummm, it's a facility charge."
Me:  pause ----- "Are you telling me that you're charging me $120 just because I walked through the doors?!".
Her:  slight pause ----"Ummmm, yes, pretty much."
Me:  slighter pause ---- "Are you FREAKING kidding me????  You're charging ME when I'm already paying the doctor a huge fee so that HE can pay YOU?????!!!!!  That's the most asinine thing I've ever heard of and there's no STINKING way I'm going to pay this!  AND, I'm going to call my insurance company and tell them NOT to pay you!!!!"

   OK, so I made up that last line.  I wish I'd said that.  Instead I said, "Well .... thanks for at least sending it to the insurance company."  




     Vent #2 (and this shows how horrible a person I am):
  I stopped by my office today and I had a message from a woman who wanted money.  Churches get these calls all of the time (and even walk-ins).  This used to be part of my job description but it is no longer.  But not everyone at church knows that, thus the message.  I told someone before I left so that if she called again they would know who handles this.
And then I came home.  And saw that Son #3 had left me a message from this same woman.  She called my home!!!  I was stunned.  I don't know how she got my phone number but I felt hugely violated.  And not at all inclined to give her any money (I told you I'm horrible).  I called someone at church who very nicely offered to call her.  Thank you, J.


     Vent #3:
     OK, so I'm reaching here, but know that this is after #1 and #2.  
Why is it that whenever I finally sit down to see if there's a movie on TV, the guide ALWAYS shows that every-single-movie started 45 minutes earlier?!!  And sometimes, as unbelievable as you may find it, I swear there's a movie listed that I could've watched that WAS NOT on the guide when I checked 30 minutes ago!!  It's a plot.  I know that I'm being gas lighted.  At first I just thought it was the kids.  But the satellite company is in on it, too. 

 I don't stand a chance.

    As a P.S.-- tomorrow the boys and I will go to the lake.  I have not been there since that "last" weekend.  I haven't wanted to go --- still am not 100% sure about it, but I have to go.  And I need to get this over with.  There are papers that I need to go through and things that need to be taken care of.  My plan is to spend the night and return on Thursday.
But as I have learned -- the best laid plans ............

11 comments:

CRICKET said...

I have often thought of using "duck" tape to keep the grandkids in their seats at mealtime---no, I will not call CPS on you if you don't call them on me!!

Anonymous said...

Don't get me started about doctors, hospitals, not following orders, not giving orders, and then going behind a partition because the nurses are "talking" --like I don't know who they are talking about...After hitting the buzzer twice in my mother-in-law's room on Sat. and telling the person that answered the buzzer--we need help..the reply, "someone will be there..". Fifteen minutes later (the second buzzer), again,"We need help, she is having chest pains." Finally someone comes. I told the three nurses when I had them cornered, this is not in my nature to be confrontational--but I know what the doctor ordered on Friday--remember it is Sat. afternoon--and still no IV for the infection in the heart. She was so ill, that
I was afraid that we were going to lose her. It has been a long three weeks of doctors, medicine, and no answers....I guess I needed to vent too..
Marlene

Anonymous said...

We are starting to have bills roll in from Chuck's cortisone shots. The ones that didn't work. A bill for the facility, a bill for the anesthesiologist, a bill for the doctor who ordered this done, a bill for the after care (which I remember very surely that it was I who opened his juice and crackers and it was I who carried him to the bathroom. Who do I bill for that?), a bill for the MRI, a bill for the facility where the MRI was done, and a bill for each of the three doctors who read the MRI. Thankfully we have good insurance that will pay 80% of all these bills but we still are stuck with 20%. Can we talk medical care reform?

Anonymous said...

You would have had a field day w/me &the kids travel day. 8 hrs in airport, cancelled then delayed flights then missing luggage (all 3 bags) 2 hrs wait for rental car& were still 7 hrs from where we were supposed to be tonite.oh well... Hope our bags show up tonite. Its 20 degrees!

Anonymous said...

Love you, miss you!!!

I think that as long as CPS saw his pants before the staple gun, They would call it justifiable!

Love you again! K

M2K2USA said...

I saw a little man run by the school...he got into his car and drove away.

HUH??!!

Love ya,
Little Bro

Janine said...

What the heck?! I had Son #1 read your comment, my twitly brother, and he asked if that was code for something?
I don't know, but you lost me, which, granted, is not hard to do, so shame on your for taking advantage of it!
Love you all!!!!
J

Anonymous said...

Uh...yeah, I hope you all can appreciate me a little more for having to LIVE with him! I so wonder what you all were thinking at the wedding....?????
JK...I love him to bits!
Love you all
K in AK

Anonymous said...

Janine--I pray that God is blessing your trip to the lake and giving you an extra measure of peace.

Just saw Horton with the kids. Don't tell me you never thought of son #2 when you saw JoJo. I think he was the model.

susan

Anonymous said...

he was quiet, never did what was expected, and totally came through for them in the end. susan

Janine said...

Susan--I totally thought it was him!!!
And thank you for the second post --- you made my heart smile.
J