Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Just when you think ....

     This picture is from Jim's 40th birthday.  It was a surprise and we had a great time with several couples (OK, the birthday wasn't a surprise -- duh!  The dinner was.).  This is one of my favorite pictures of him --- what a good-looking guy.  He made me smile a lot more than George does.  
     Just when you think your kid isn't hearing anything you say -- he suddenly does.  
Son #2 missed the bus home today.  He got home an hour later (I was at the lake, trying to make sure the "lake people" don't fine me $500 a day because I don't have a maintenance contract for my septic system.  Don't ask --- sheesh).  
Anyway, I tried to call home several times and he wasn't there.  When I finally got ahold of him here's what transpired:
Me:  "Where have you been?"
Him:  "I missed the bus."
Me:  "Why did you miss the bus?  Were you making out with your girlfriend?"
Him:  "Yeah, pretty much." ---- pause ----- silence ------ "I'm kidding!  One of my friends had a problem so I stayed after to make sure she was OK."
Me:  "How did you get home?"
Him:  "Well, I remembered that you told me if I ever miss the bus I'd better start walking, so I walked."
Me:  "Really?!"
Him:  "Yes, but I also got a ride.  Mr. F. saw me while I was walking and gave me a ride home." (thank you RF)
Me:  "Wow, I'm impressed that you didn't try to call me and that you really started walking!"
Him:  "Well, that's what you told me to do.  Oh .... and I didn't have my cell phone anyway."

Ahhhh, so did he really hear me or was it just because he accidentally left his cell phone in Oklahoma?  I was still impressed.  
I must remember to ask Daughter #1 why it took her over 4 hours to walk home the one time she had to and it only took him an hour.  Of course, he did end up getting a ride -- the cheater.
    This thought just occurred to me --- with him away at school next year, what the heck am I going to blog about?!!!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good aftenoon my darling daughter. Absolutely great pic. I love you.

M2K2USA said...

Who said the kid never listens to anyone? I think him getting home quicker was a combination of him getting a ride and him running the other portion to get in shape for the marines!!

Little Bro