Wednesday, January 21, 2009

A non-update update (or: I am Special)

OK ........  I am going to beg your patience with me and not do Ask Me Wednesday today.  I will do it tomorrow.
I am tired, frustrated, angry and just very, very spent.

First off ..... I don't know anything.  Still.

My appointment with the Dr. was at 8:30 ( the registration appointment was 7:30).  
He walked into the exam room at 11:50 a.m.  
I know.
And he stayed less than 5 minutes.
Yes, really.
Here's the deal .....  he wants me to have an ultrasound-guided needle biopsy and hopes to schedule it at the end of this week or the beginning of next week.
And then, because evidently the tumor that I have is extremely rare..... extremely.... he plans to take the results of the biopsy and present my case to a Liposarcoma/Tissue/blah, blah, blah (cuz I can't recall the exact terminology) symposium, group, something or other.  He will present my case, whatever the results of the biopsy (though he's leaning in the direction of it not being malignant), and all of these great minds in this area will give their opinion on what to do with me.
J, who again spent some medical bonding time with me, said, "I told you you were unique."
To which Dr. Made Me Wait For 3 Hours replied, "She's special."

So there you have it.  
I know nothing.

Except for this:  I am special.

13 comments:

Wendie Tobin said...

You had to travel 3 hours to learn that? Shizzle...I would've called you and told you THAT.

ShortyMom said...

Hated hearing you learned nothing(except that you were special...didn't you know that already??). Hope they can give you peace of mind soon!

Unknown said...

That stinks! Sorry.
Julie

kdawnmartin said...

I would have been PISSED if the Dr came in at eleven what ever and I had been there since seven frickin thirty in the morning!!!!! But then that is your lovely sister and she has no tollerance for crap like that! The longer I waited the more pissed off I would have been and they WOULD have known it! Sorry though. It sucks to have to wait that long and find out NOTHING! But hey...I love you! I know...that doesn't help but it helps me sleep at night. Have a great next few days if possible.:)

Unknown said...

Geesh!! That is scary!!! I will continue to pray for you!! I am so frustrated with non-answers... and you ARE special but not because of that!! (or I could say I'm special because I have a hypodense region in my brain... but apparently I'm not the only one). :) OK going to bed now. Hopefully I won't projectile vomit any more...

Anonymous said...

Hey! Maybe they could name the tumor after you! You'd be famous AND special!! I'm sorry for such a waste of a day. I hope the Dr. realizes that there is a PERSON behind the interesting tumor??

Anonymous said...

You have just got to love doctors . . . several years back my onocologist wanted me to have a bone marrow test . . . as he said a simple 5 minute procedure . . . the next month when I returned for my monthly blood test results he was not happy that I did not have the bone marrow test done . . . I informed him I checked it out when setting up the bone marrow test appointment and it was not a simple 5 minute procedure at least on my end . . . I told him as I started my stop watch okay you have got 5 minutes and you can do the test . . . fortunately the doctor had a sense of humor . . . I complimented the conventional medicine with some alternative medicine and after a year my blood work returned to normal and my symptoms that first brought me to the doctor diminshed.

Anonymous said...

O.M.Gosh! Waiting for over 3 hours!
That's terrible! Or is that common in the world of specialty medicine? Can you imagine the waits if this country moves to "socialized" medicine?? Caroline sees a ped. urologist on Friday...we'll see how long he keeps us waiting! Hang in there, my friend. Love you, Vicki

Lisanne said...

I'm with Dawn.
Ya' wants us sistahs ta' go in der an' break his kneecaps??
Whatta' jerk! YOU are definitely the more reasonable and patient sister.
Well crap. I was worrying all day too...and now we know nothing. That's just peachy. I'm mad.:(
Well, I love you and I'll be thinking about you and awaiting Ask-me-Thursday!
Get some rest.

BIG hug,
Lis

Mary Lou said...

I can only echo what the others have said. He evidently has no bedside manner, but definitely needs to cultivate one. They don't teach them that in med school. Praying for you. God did make you special..you are unique..one of a kind. Your family will attest to that. Blessings

Anonymous said...

I have another friend who recently spent $75 and an hour and a half for a counselor to tell her that she's not crazy, just a little stressed. I really need to think about changing my profession. I told her I could have told her that for like, $50. I could have told you that you were special and saved you the waiting room time.

Michelle said...

Hey, I often wonder if doctors would pay us for our time would we still have to wait like that? I have a friend that once asked her doctor if he thought his time was more valuable then hers? He didn't know what to say to her..I hope you didn't have to pay a co-pay to be told you are special, we all could have told you that and we have saved you money..You are SPECIAL!! Things will be fine..

Carrie said...

We already knew that you were special. Sorry you had to wait so long!!! I hope your biopsy goes well & you don't have to have surgery after all!!! Praying for you!